Can't update iPhone 3gs - please help - iPhone software update server could not be...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ladyrider4287, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ladyrider4287 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    For the past two days my facebook app hasn't been working. I couldn't even open it in safari. So I decided to delete the app and try to redownload it. Well it said that I needed iOS 4.3. I haven't updated my phone in the past because everytime I hooked it up to my laptop it would always freeze. But I tried to do it again to see what happens. But when I hooked it up and tried to update it (I currently have 4.0) this pops up: "iPhone software update server could not be contacted". I googled that but I don't understand what anyone is talking about it. People have mentioned something about doing something to the "hosts" and some other things but I have no idea what that means. Can someone please explain to me how to fix this, step by step. I know basic stuff about computers but not very technical things. My phone is a 3gs and I've been thinking about getting a newer one but I don't want to have a problem with iTunes with a new phone too. So can someone please help me get rid of this problem so I can update my iPhone?? I'd really appreciate it :)))

2. Branxx16 macrumors newbie

iPhone

I deleted the iPhone 3gs and how to now install the software on the new iPhone??