Can't Update iPhone 5 iOS Over 3G (OTA Update)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigscotal, Feb 20, 2013.

1. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Wondering if anybody can help with this one.

As most of us know, the iOS 6.1.2 update is now available. At work this morning, my colleague who has an iPhone 4 succesfully updated his handset by means of an Over the Air Update (OTA) using his 3G network.

Now, when I try and do the same on my iPhone 5, I simply get told that I need to be on a WiFi network, and I can't carry out the update. We both use the same carrier (3), so it's not that.

Any ideas why I can't do an OTA update on my handset?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

:)

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The size of the download may be bigger for the 5 pushing it over the edge of the allowed download over 3G size.

Is the other guy jailbroken? Because he may have a tweak that allows bypassing of the 3G download restrictions.

3. bigscotal thread starter macrumors 6502

bigscotal

The update shows up as 12mb on my 5, so thought that would be ok for OTA. Not sure what size the update was on the 4, as he had started the download before I could see.

Neither handset is jailbroken. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Perhaps a better question might have been, has anybody else successfully done a 3G OTA update to 6.1.2 on an iPhone 5?

4. ParagJain macrumors 6502

If you have a friend with iphone around, you can get him to tether his iphone, you connect to that wifi and update it. Once done, same you can do for your buddy ...

5. bigscotal thread starter macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Lol, like your thinking, good tip that. Shame you have to resort to the likes, it really shouldn't be so difficult.

6. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Eventually you will get it over 3G. However, Apple will hold back updates for those without wifi depending on the carrier for a bit. That way they hope you get it over WiFi first.

7. bigscotal thread starter macrumors 6502

bigscotal

No idea whether that's right or not, but if that's the case it seems odd that both my friend and I are both with the same carrier, yet he got to do the OTA update via 3G, and I didn't. :confused: