Can't update J/B iPhone on my mac but can on my wifes...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gianthobbit, Mar 21, 2011.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

The two times that I have tried to update my iPhone on my Mac it has always failed. The problem is it download the update, gets about 1/2 the way through and then refuses to go any further.

Thankfully I have had the help in the past to get me up and running again (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1031003).

To summarize the fix requires "kicking" my phone out of the maintenance mode and then doing a FULL restore on another mac (my wifes). The update always go through then but I have to start from scratch as it is a full restore.

Why is this happening? This was said in the previous post (too old to revive):

"Here is whats happening. You have used Tiny Umbrella at some point. TU writes to your host file on your computer. So now when you restore the file looks to cydia instead of apple. There is a guide on iclaried that gives step by step advice on how to edit your host file. basically either comment out #. or delete any line that makes reference to gs.apple.com. XXX.XXX.XXX. you will now be able to restore via Itunes. THis has happened to many people here."

No idea waht tiny umbrella is or how to fix this problem etc. Want to get this sorted out and plan ready before the next untethered JB hits.

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

More info. What iPhone and firmware you are trying to restore to? What error message are yo getting?

3. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone4, it is not something I am having an issue with right at the momment. Every time I update and to the latest firmware (only do so when there is a untethered JB) it happens. So the one in Oct. and the one that came out last (talking about the untehtehred JB) it happened. Not sure if that was the answer you were looking for...

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Wifi sync can cause problems. Remove it before doing a restore. Check your host file and make sure it's not pointing away from Apple. If problem still persist, try usual stuff, different USB port, USB cable, disable security programs or different computer.