Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7403006.stm

The billionaire investor Carl Icahn has launched a battle to topple the Yahoo board and replace its 10 members with his own slate of directors.

Mr Icahn said in a letter to Yahoo that it was clear the board had acted "irrationally" in its dealings with Microsoft, which tried to buy it.

Shareholders will now get the choice between the two boards at the annual meeting on 3 July.

Mr Icahn wants to buy an additional $2.5bn worth of Yahoo shares.

'Unconscionable'

The manoeuvre follows much anger and criticism over Yahoo's decision, led by co-founder and chief executive Jerry Yang, to turn down Microsoft's $47.5bn (£24.4bn) offer to buy the company.

Yahoo had wanted Microsoft to increase its bid of $33 a share to $37 a share.

Mr Icahn said it was "unconscionable" that the firm had not put the decision to shareholders, saying the offer was a 72% premium to the value of Yahoo shares before the bid was tabled.

"I and many of your shareholders strongly believe that a combination between Yahoo and Microsoft would form a dynamic company and more importantly would be a force strong enough to compete with Google on the Internet," Mr Icahn said.

Microsoft has now said that, contrary to rumours of it possibly making another move later in the year, talks with Yahoo are over.

Mr Icahn has reportedly spent more than $1bn to buy about 50 million Yahoo shares - a 3.6% stake - allowing him to increase the pressure on Yahoo's board.

:(

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
"I and many of your shareholders strongly believe that a combination between Yahoo and Microsoft would form a dynamic company and more importantly would be a force strong enough to compete with Google on the Internet," Mr Icahn said.
Mr Icahn is delusional. Yahoo may not be doing to great, but MS would have only sped up it's decline. That said, I do think they're bonkers not to have accepted such a high offer. Accept defeat, take the money, and run!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
saw this earlier.

looks like yahoo is going down one way or another, doesn't surprise me. i thought microsoft gave up a bit too easily in any event.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.