Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
I was just looking at this site that I found through a link in another thread on this site and got the greatest idea!

What if Apple came up with a computer that is designed to be used in an automobile! You could use it to play your music, listen to the radio, watch movies, play games, use a GPS, and to control some of your car's features (such as the heater/air conditioner); you could also use it to get some work done in the car, etc. ;)

How would Apple market it? Apple could contract with car makers and work to get it preinstalled some new cars! They could also sell the system by itself, but it may require a technician to get it installed.

I'm thinking this could be done a lot like this guy (in the link) did with his car, only much more integrated. How do you think it could be done? Any ideas? What do you think of this?

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I want to say the VW micro van, but I could be wrong, has a computer running that was being ran from a cube or part of it. So Apple is in cars, they have no reason to enter this field as it's the car manufacturers would would deal with it.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Actually, if Apple could bundle a more-or-less Cube that could be inserted into a car.....

Imagine the possibilities for the car stereo. The little sucker could have an airport card and link up to your iTunes library when parked in the garage, for example. It could have a large hard drive, so that one is basically taking his workstation wherever he goes.. I could actually see some real functionality from this.

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
It's bad enough dealing with idiots on cell phone, the last thing we need is computers in cars.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
I have mixed feelings with people having computers in their cars.
I installed a computer table in my car about four years ago…and I must say, that I have never had a problem!!!!
It is a great tool for shutting kids up, especially when you have a DVD player and Internet access!!
But on the other hand, there are way to many distractions on the road now, so mass-producing computers into cars would not be a good idea. The freeways are flooded with idiots!! ;) ;) :p

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
Heck, I have tried many times using my laptop in my car while driving, and I think that other than my attempts at suicide, that is the closest to death I have ever been. I would look up from selecting a song or something and the next thing I would realize is that I would be drifting into the other lane. I say no computers in cars, even if they include voice recognition. All voice recognition would do is cause the driver to start yelling at the computer for selecting the wrong song, and then by yelling the computer would think you are telling it to shut down the car, so all in all, I think the only thing computers in cars would do is up the price of cars and cause injury due to punching the dashboard;).

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by xrhajj

But on the other hand, there are way to many distractions on the road now, so mass-producing computers into cars would not be a good idea. The freeways are flooded with idiots!! ;) ;) :p

Only if you make the computer a distraction. The average Joe or Joann won't do this me thinks.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by KingArthur
Heck, I have tried many times using my laptop in my car while driving, and I think that other than my attempts at suicide, that is the closest to death I have ever been. I would look up from selecting a song or something and the next thing I would realize is that I would be drifting into the other lane. I say no computers in cars, even if they include voice recognition. All voice recognition would do is cause the driver to start yelling at the computer for selecting the wrong song, and then by yelling the computer would think you are telling it to shut down the car, so all in all, I think the only thing computers in cars would do is up the price of cars and cause injury due to punching the dashboard;).

This is why you don't fiddle with anything while driving, stupid!

And I don't think the computer should be used to shut down the car; you should still do that the traditional way. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.