Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
I was in town this morning and decided to pop into my local Carphone warehouse to ask if they had a date for the new iPhone. I live in a fairly small town so there was only one member of staff in there and no customers. He looked almost 'awkward' when I asked him and was very cagey indeed. His reply? ..

''We've been told 13th July" .. I said (to clarify!) ' you'll be selling them here on the 13th of July then?' .. his reply was 'Yes but you didn't hear it from me!'

Loopy

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Probably just trying it on. That is how they work, although they are not as bad as the ****'s in Phones 4U. Dont get me started on them!!!

EDIT: Took a quick look at the calender there, that day is a Friday, which could mean I suppose 2 things. Friday 13th, aka maybe talkin the pee a bit, but on the other side of the coin, the iPhone was launched on a Friday in the UK last time, so you never know!!!

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
If store employees knew the date, it would be reported to rumor sites from about 600 sources in a matter of minutes.

They don't know. They're guessing, misunderstanding, or making it up.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Probably just trying it on. That is how they work, although they are not as bad as the ****'s in Phones 4U. Dont get me started on them!!!

EDIT: Took a quick look at the calender there, that day is a Friday, which could mean I suppose 2 things. Friday 13th, aka maybe talkin the pee a bit, but on the other side of the coin, the iPhone was launched on a Friday in the UK last time, so you never know!!!

July 13 is a Sunday

sowlerrmgh

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2004
Just to show the inaccuracy of the salesmen, I went into an O2 Shop yesterday and they said it would be available to buy next week.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
So, next week US, then followed by UK. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

As long as its not what is was last time!!!, waiting from January, then to June 29th then to November 9th!!! That was a killer!

We get all the other phones before them though, not that it really matters.

July 13 is a Sunday

Good call!! I read the OP as June, not July!!!

That alters things a good bit!!!

5teve

Jun 5, 2008
So, next week US, then followed by UK. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

I don't see why there should be a delay in new hardware this time around as Apple already have their providers set up in Europe, which initially delayed the iPhone from coming in Europe at the same time as the States.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
I call BS. You joined today just to post this...

Yes, I joined today to post this but have reading macrumors for a long time. I thought I had something interesting to say but evidently got it wrong. Doesn't everyone join before their first post?
Loopy

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Yes, I joined today to post this but have reading macrumors for a long time. I thought I had something interesting to say but evidently got it wrong. Doesn't everyone join before their first post?
Loopy

The point that he is trying to make is that, of the hundreds of people that join every day, the ones who say crazy things or farfetched things are always noobs. He is stereotyping because the people who say, ZOMG LOOK I JUST GOT A SNEAK PEAK OF THE NEW iPHONE AND I TOOK A PICTURE AND THIS IS IT!! are always newbies. Don't worry about people on these forums. Generally speaking, this is a good forum, but your noob friends are making your statements no matter how honost very unworthy.

Interesting information, could be correct, but generally speaking, sales people will never know the release date of an apple product until the Stevenote, just like everybody else.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
Well obviously this is rubbish *sheepish grin* ... If I'd bothered to check the date I would have see it was a Sunday!! ... Now I'm hoping (as someone else posted) that it may be as soon as next Friday!!
sorry folks
Loopy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.