CarPlay CarPlay adapter to convert to wireless CarPlay?

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

2018 Denali

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2020
BUXjr and Denali. I am buying a new carlink and would like it to work in my 2016 Silverado. Upon receiving it what updates should i do. I currently own 1 of each and they both appear to be bricked. Trying not to brick another. Thanks for any help. Carl
I honestly feel 7-29-20 is working great.

Just make sure you use a 5v/2.4a power brick charger. I think that using one that doesn’t provide that has been bricking some units as the firmware update fails midway while updating due to power supply issue like @BUXjr was having issues updating his till he used one with the correct power. I actually use an iPad wall charger when I do the manual updates.

You might want to try to update the two you have hopefully one comes back to life.

Last edited:

BUXjr

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2020
Chapin, SC, USA
BUXjr and Denali. I am buying a new carlink and would like it to work in my 2016 Silverado. Upon receiving it what updates should i do. I currently own 1 of each and they both appear to be bricked. Trying not to brick another. Thanks for any help. Carl
Hey Carl,
Well, let's wait to see what firmware is installed on it, when it arrives. But from my experience, 2020.07.29.1705 appears to be a winner in my 2017 GMC Sierra Denali. I did the USB manual update today, without issue on my Carlinkit v2 (USB-C) adapter. Works great.

bookemdano

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2011
I honestly feel 7-29-20 is working great.

Just make sure you use a 5v/2.4a power brick charger. I think that using one that doesn’t provide that has been bricking some units as the firmware update fails midway while updating due to power supply issue like @BUXjr was having issues updating his till he used one with the correct power.

You might want to try to update the two you have hopefully one comes back to life.
Agreed. That is also why I wouldn't recommend doing updates in the car--certain situations might cause your car to cut power to the USB outlets (some cars do that if they sense the 12V battery is low, or if a door is opened, etc.).

I think the safest way to flash these things is via USB with an authentic Apple iPad (2.1 or 2.4A) power supply. I'm sure lots of other stuff will work, but given how fragile and expensive these adapters are, I think the less chances taken the better.

I picked up a USB-C version earlier this week and just flashed it to 07.29. Haven't tested it yet, but assuming it works well for me I will flash my old USB-A version to the same version and then try to run some comparisons to see if there is actually any difference in speed between the two.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Thanks for both your input. I ordered a new power brick, new memory stick, going to start from scratch.
I think I will copy you exactly. My only attempt at manually flashing didn’t go well. From reading these past few posts, maybe it was the power supply which was a USB charging station.

Would you happen to have links to exactly what you ordered? I’m really not having any issues, but maybe they made some improvements with 7.29. Might leave it be, but I’d like to have the goods handy to flash someday.

anthover

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Think OTA is still 7/17 at least it was on 7/30. To be clear OTA updates are the one Carlinkit trusts with the most Car AV systems which vary alot in their implementation of carplay. That said OTA itself as noted can potentially be more risky then doing it via USB with same firmware version since things can happen in a car.

If your using your Car always leave the engine running so power is not cut to USB. And no matter whether you use OTA or USB stick method be patient after the lights stop blinking or the status screen on phone stops updating when doing OTA.

While the updates generally take under a minute from what I have seen... Your way better waiting at least 5 minutes after all blinking lights stop or status screens stop updating. With an OTA update the device should generally automatically reconnect to the car and show up again on your car AV system when its really done.

Last edited:

Tripp Jeffords

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2020
Ok, I have a 2020 Chevy Colorado. I ordered the carlinkit 2.0. The Chevy has the infotainment 3.0, which people seem to struggle with connecting. Be patient. It can work on 2019 and 2020 Chevrolets. You have to forget your phone in infotainment and forget the mychevy Bluetooth connection. Then you must be patient. Get out, turn car off, lock and unlock the doors, wait a couple of minutes. You know you are ready to try if you get a flash screen before the man screen starts to come on. With all connections cleared, and You plug in your dongle, it should ask if you want to use CarPlay. Say yes. The car link should ask to set up. You’ll make sure your WiFi is on because after the initial handshake with Bluetooth, the heavy work will be done through WiFi. Go under settingS, general, CarPlay, and make sure you erase another CarPlay if there is one. You want the one that car link just added. If you had previously connected through a wire, there may be a second profile. This can be frustrating as crap, but I just want y’all to know it can be done.

now mine connects great, like others on here, if there is a cold start...meaning, waiting a couple, of minutes, locking car, gettting out. Not sure all the particulars, but this seems to work for me. If you stop the car and certain components are still powered, it will not go well for you, when you restart after a quick stop.

now, when I have had to do a quick stop, I have found that if you turn off bluetooth in the settings, before you turn the engine off, then turn it back on when the quick out and in is over, this seems to take away whatever conflict is occurring. Works for me. Keep trying. It’s worth it if you can figure it out.

or as others have suggested, lock your car and keep your engine running while you make a quick dash. It’s worth it.

Last edited:

Mike DeQuardo

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2020
You know you are ready to try if you get a flash screen before the man screen starts to come on.

Not following this exactly. You mean to INITIALLY connect during the bowtie display but before the rest of the system is in a ready state? The rest of what you are describing seems ungainly at best for ongoing use. I have experience in a GTI where it simply connects after 15 seconds without all the other workarounds. This is what I want in my GM cars.

Last edited:

trisnadi

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Installed the new 7.29 firmware and used it for a 1.5 hour drive followed by another 1 hour drive today. Had two 'hiccups' but that's it. Noise distortion issue is gone. A solid build indeed. ~Audi Q5 2019.

Reactions: BUXjr

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Well I emailed CarLinkIt to ask why mine still not working after 11 months, when “promised” it would (I took that with a pinch of salt obviously) and if the USB-C version is any different and may work.

Surprised they did reply back, and then again within in a day with more questions.

But they said USB-C is no different just different cable. So maybe pointless to even try for me.

They did say that plugging in their doing or first, and then a lightning cable to your phone it should work with wired CarPlay. Does everyone’s that work, work like this as well. Mine doesn’t so maybe that’s a good indication if it ever will?

Diehminer

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
Something new with 2020.06.17. When my phone connects to the adapter, CarPlay does not automatically take over my Pioneer HU. Instead I stay at my sources screen until I press the CarPlay icon.
Are you still having this problem? My Pioneer HU is displaying a blank screen still when it loads CarPlay. It will auto load CarPlay but then just display a black screen till I tap the media key a few times on HU. I’m on the 7.29 update.

fruitbat04

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Are you still having this problem? My Pioneer HU is displaying a blank screen still when it loads CarPlay. It will auto load CarPlay but then just display a black screen till I tap the media key a few times on HU. I’m on the 7.29 update.
i got the USB C version last week and am on the latest OTA update and using a Pioneer.

i get that problem maybe 30% the time. What's strange is that first thing each day it seems fine, however after a short power down, it's much more common. Either quickly unplugging and replugging or going to the main menu and back seems to always fix.

strange as with the ignition off, the head unit is outputting to power over the USB socket.

Reactions: Diehminer

vesalius

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2020
Have a USB-A version. Own Chevy colorado and had manually updated to 03/06 firmware which was the only one that worked well in this GM vehicle. Lost it when I OTA updated in June/July. Tried to manual update last night to 07/29 given the reports that the 5-min audio skipping bug was not present on GM vehicles with that firmware.

Using the same iPad charger, USB drive, and Carlinkit that worked on 03/06 manual firmware update now it seems the manual update does not complete. Get the red-blue flashing lights for 30-40 seconds then solid red when plugged into the iPad charger and USB drive. Waited 5 min then over an hour. Carlinkit will power up and get to the boot window when plugged into my truck, sometimes getting to the screen stating it is connecting to my phone, but then it restarts and never fully boots into carplay, keeps doing the same process over and over again.

Just posting a word of warning and on the off chance, anyone has any suggestions for me.

UPDATE: Man are these things temperamental. Was unable to downgrade to 07/17 last night with the same setup over multiple attempts, but that worked this morning. So at least I am back up and running (with 5-min audio bug) again.

Last edited:

bookemdano

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2011
Have a USB-A version. Own Chevy colorado and had manually updated to 03/06 firmware which was the only one that worked well in this GM vehicle. Lost it when I OTA updated in June/July. Tried to manual update last night to 07/29 given the reports that the 5-min audio skipping bug was not present on GM vehicles with that firmware.

Using the same iPad charger, USB drive, and Carlinkit that worked on 03/06 manual firmware update now it seems the manual update does not complete. Get the red-blue flashing lights for 30-40 seconds then solid red when plugged into the iPad charger and USB drive. Waited 5 min then over an hour. Carlinkit will power up and get to the boot window when plugged into my truck, sometimes getting to the screen stating it is connecting to my phone, but then it restarts and never fully boots into carplay, keeps doing the same process over and over again.

Just posting a word of warning and on the off chance, anyone has any suggestions for me.

UPDATE: Man are these things temperamental. Was unable to downgrade to 07/17 last night with the same setup over multiple attempts, but that worked this morning. So at least I am back up and running (with 5-min audio bug) again.
Could be your flash drive is glitchy too. You might want to try a different one to flash back to 07.29 and see if you have a different experience.

vesalius

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2020
Could be your flash drive is glitchy too. You might want to try a different one to flash back to 07.29 and see if you have a different experience.
Tried the 2 (the 2 oldest, slowest and smallest in terms of storage) I have that the carlinkit will recognize (tried 7 or so in total), but you certainly could be correct. Suggestions on something new that seems to work for folks.

UPDATE: tried 07/29 again and same result constant reboots. A couple of times the boot process made it through and I get to the carplay interface and can make a selection, but soon thereafter the device crashes/reboots again. Leads me to believe the manual firmware update is working, but something to do with my carlinkit hardware revision/iphone ios13, chevy radio combination is crashing with 07/29. Not completely unexpected for a firmware they have not released publicly.

Last edited:

Fluke1

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2020
I think I will copy you exactly. My only attempt at manually flashing didn’t go well. From reading these past few posts, maybe it was the power supply which was a USB charging station.

Would you happen to have links to exactly what you ordered? I’m really not having any issues, but maybe they made some improvements with 7.29. Might leave it be, but I’d like to have the goods handy to flash someday.
I Also used an iPad power brick to perform all the updates I have done in the past on my dongle, no issues. Now I have a suspension that none iPad power chargers are responsible for all these bricked devices.

Diehminer

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
i got the USB C version last week and am on the latest OTA update and using a Pioneer.

i get that problem maybe 30% the time. What's strange is that first thing each day it seems fine, however after a short power down, it's much more common. Either quickly unplugging and replugging or going to the main menu and back seems to always fix.

strange as with the ignition off, the head unit is outputting to power over the USB socket.
This is exactly the problem I'm having. I noticed that when you manually dismiss the booting screen that shows the safety information on engine start up, the adapter connects and displays the carplay every time. I'm wondering if we need a delay relay for the adapter now like Denali has said. I think the adapter is booting too fast for my Pioneer unit to recognize and make the digital handshake on engine start up. Like you noted, when you exit out of carplay and re enter it, the interface comes up correctly. This would be like re establishing the handshake. If only I didn't install that darn 6.17 update.... This could easily be fixed with a software update.

EDIT: I just now learned that by dismissing the boot screen about safety on the Pioneer unit start up, the carplay2air adapter connects every time perfectly. This leads me to believe that the adapter is booting too fast for my HU and this is why the digital handshake is not working correctly.

Last edited:

fruitbat04

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
This is exactly the problem I'm having. I noticed that when you manually dismiss the booting screen that shows the safety information on engine start up, the adapter connects and displays the carplay every time. I'm wondering if we need a delay relay for the adapter now like Denali has said. I think the adapter is booting too fast for my Pioneer unit to recognize and make the digital handshake on engine start up. Like you noted, when you exit out of carplay and re enter it, the interface comes up correctly. This would be like re establishing the handshake. If only I didn't install that darn 6.17 update.... This could easily be fixed with a software update.

EDIT: I just now learned that by dismissing the boot screen about safety on the Pioneer unit start up, the carplay2air adapter connects every time perfectly. This leads me to believe that the adapter is booting too fast for my HU and this is why the digital handshake is not working correctly.
Ah interesting, I'll see if that's the same for me.

Do your steering controls work by the way? Volume is fine for me but if I press track skip, it continuously skips tracks rather than just once, as if the button is held down. if I connect wired via the carlinki, it's exactly the same, but if I wire direct to he head unit it works fine.

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.