Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

CarPlay CarPlay adapter to convert to wireless CarPlay?

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

stringerhye

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
I have the new Mazda 3 with Mazda Connect II and it works like a charm, 9/10. Its not bugless, but it works almoast like an OEM one, minus a 1s lag at tracks/voice and once in a while i have to replug it because it dosent want to connect. It happens like, once a week.
I’m not sure which Mazda Connect I am on. It’s not the newest version that comes on the Mazda 3 or CX-30 but I believe it’s the last version since it’s a 2019.

Karim Tutone

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2020
I have a the new Mazda CX30 with Mazda Connect II too and like ”Garkan” it’s worked pretty fine for me.

Just some little lag but very minus.

josejrp

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
I have the new Mazda 3 with Mazda Connect II and it works like a charm, 9/10. Its not bugless, but it works almoast like an OEM one, minus a 1s lag at tracks/voice and once in a while i have to replug it because it dosent want to connect. It happens like, once a week.
That's good to hear. Here's how my Mazda Connect looks:
683E6107-5781-4405-922B-B61C08D3217C.png

And here's the newest Mazda Connect system:
A5B32B34-373C-43A2-B009-1BF2365471C1.jpeg

Karim Tutone

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2020
Any chance this is a software upgrade? (I assume not - that it requires newer hardware.)

it is completely a new system, impossible via a simple update unfortunately.

I had before a Mazda 6 with the old Mazda Connect and I must say that the new system works a lot better with the carplay2air.

Dimatrixxx

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2020
Hi, i’m running currently ver 2020.08.04 1602 on my cplay2air (USB-A) and it says that’s the last update. I updated the dongle only via the built OTA (no usb flash etc.) Any ideas what to do? It seems not the last version available to me.

KevinGrabher

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
Hi, i’m running currently ver 2020.08.04 1602 on my cplay2air (USB-A) and it says that’s the last update. I updated the dongle only via the built OTA (no usb flash etc.) Any ideas what to do? It seems not the last version available to me.

It is currently the latest OTA version. While there were other versions available for USB updating, (and shorty newer versions via OTA), the latest OTA version rolled back to 08-04. Carlinkit probably figures that's currently the version with the least issues for most people.

Dimatrixxx

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2020
It is currently the latest OTA version. While there were other versions available for USB updating, (and shorty newer versions via OTA), the latest OTA version rolled back to 08-04. Carlinkit probably figures that's currently the version with the least issues for most people.
Thanks for your reply. If I manually update the Cplay2air (some later version worked better for me) will it get the updates via OTA after that?

KevinGrabher

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks for your reply. If I manually update the Cplay2air (some later version worked better for me) will it get the updates via OTA after that?

You should
It has worked fine for me so far, but some people ran into issues with specific versions. There's always a certain risk involved as these are not really officially released updates.

anthover

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Never say never about anything but the Dongle itself does not have the ability to communicate with the internet that I am aware of. You can manually send your logs to them if you have problems. I almost wish it could automatically send logs when it ran into errors if we authorized it prior.

MikeX

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Dongle itself does not have the ability to communicate with the internet that I am aware of
can't it use the LTE connection of the car or the iphone to spy & send the data which traverses it? i think carplay protocol allows using the internet of the connected devices or the car's internet

bookemdano

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2011
can't it use the LTE connection of the car or the iphone to spy & send the data which traverses it? i think carplay protocol allows using the internet of the connected devices or the car's internet

No.

CarPlay does not and cannot use the car's internet. There would be no point for that because using CarPlay requires an iPhone and Apple assumes every iPhone being used has an active cellular plan. I take that back. Wired CarPlay can use your car's WiFi, but only if you connect your phone to the car's WiFi (i.e. CarPlay uses whatever connection your phone is currently using). However, in this case, your phone's WiFi is occupied by the Carlinkit adapter.

Plus, the only data the phone is providing to your car (either directly connected via USB or via WiFi to the Carlinkit dongle) is streaming audio and video of the CarPlay screen interface the phone is rendering. No actual "data" is available to the car or the Carlinkit, just images and sound.

You can think of CarPlay as akin to adding a second monitor to your computer. The car/Carlinkit dongle in this case is just the dumb "monitor"--it just shows images that are sent to it. All of the data stays on your phone.

And if you're worried that the dongle could be leaking screenshots of your CarPlay interface, that's also damn near impossible. The only way the dongle can "talk" to the internet is if you browse to its internal web page (192.168.50.2) from your phone. If you don't initiate it there's no way for it do use your phone to do anything. And screenshots and audio would take up a tremendous amount of storage space, which the Carlinkit lacks (several people in this thread have already opened them up and identified all the components).

Long story short, don't worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trader05

MikeX

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
No.

CarPlay does not and cannot use the car's internet. There would be no point for that because using CarPlay requires an iPhone and Apple assumes every iPhone being used has an active cellular plan. I take that back. Wired CarPlay can use your car's WiFi, but only if you connect your phone to the car's WiFi (i.e. CarPlay uses whatever connection your phone is currently using). However, in this case, your phone's WiFi is occupied by the Carlinkit adapter.

Plus, the only data the phone is providing to your car (either directly connected via USB or via WiFi to the Carlinkit dongle) is streaming audio and video of the CarPlay screen interface the phone is rendering. No actual "data" is available to the car or the Carlinkit, just images and sound.

You can think of CarPlay as akin to adding a second monitor to your computer. The car/Carlinkit dongle in this case is just the dumb "monitor"--it just shows images that are sent to it. All of the data stays on your phone.

And if you're worried that the dongle could be leaking screenshots of your CarPlay interface, that's also damn near impossible. The only way the dongle can "talk" to the internet is if you browse to its internal web page (192.168.50.2) from your phone. If you don't initiate it there's no way for it do use your phone to do anything. And screenshots and audio would take up a tremendous amount of storage space, which the Carlinkit lacks (several people in this thread have already opened them up and identified all the components).

Long story short, don't worry about it.

How can it find updates if it cannot connect to internet?

bookemdano

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2011
How can it find updates if it cannot connect to internet?

It can only find updates if you pull out your phone and submit a request via its built-in web server--and that connection is only momentary. Without you initiating the process via your iPhone, the dongle has no way to access the internet. Also, as I stated earlier, the design of CarPlay means that your phone's data never leaves your phone in any kind of usable way.

But I mean everyone has their own level of risk tolerance. May be better to just plug in (or replace the car's head unit with a unit that is certified for Wireless CarPlay) if you're paranoid about it.

Reactions: VLud

anthover

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Hey all for those that use Waze with Apple Music or Amazon music simultaneously I have found a work around for the spontaneous reboots Waze triggers.

It appears that if you leave Apple or Amazon music as the foreground application it does not spontaneously reboot (or at least so infrequently I have not seen it so far).

You still will get Waze turn by turn alerts, police and red light camera alerts which will come up as pop ups within Apple music and I believe Amazon music. You can briefly return to Waze to get a better idea/map view more timely information, but don't stay with waze in the foreground too long or you will be back to spontaneous reboots.

It is not my preference to run this way but

VLud

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2020
I uploaded the full rootFS to the Github repo

I also released my first custom firmware :D

Changelog:
Based on 04.08.2020 original firmware

Modifications:
- Restoring performance CPU scaling governor (the line was commented inside the firmware)
- Copy logs automatically to USB Key (userspace.log)
- Possibility to execute custom script U2W.sh from USB Key (allowing serial changing and many more)

You can find it here:

It is not possible to do much since everything related to CarPlay is using binaries (source code missing) so don't ask me if I can fix notifications & so on o_O

All September updates are not updating anything, that's why it is still displaying 08.04.2020.1602 and that's why I used this firmware as a base.

fruitbat04

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
@VLud I forgot to mention. I tried flashing my v2 with your 25L12835F dump and it bricks it. It makes the red/green lights flash. Flashing back with my own dump fixes it.

So exactly the same as you, It seems units cannot be fixed from another units flash :(

Habibi Jenkins

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2020
I uploaded the full rootFS to the Github repo

I also released my first custom firmware :D

Changelog:

You can find it here:

It is not possible to do much since everything related to CarPlay is using binaries (source code missing) so don't ask me if I can fix notifications & so on o_O

All September updates are not updating anything, that's why it is still displaying 08.04.2020.1602 and that's why I used this firmware as a base.
going to try your firmware..what I got to lose..my wife cla250 Benz just reboots itself after a Minuit ...what is cpu scaling for? thanks for your work

VLud

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2020
@VLud I forgot to mention. I tried flashing my v2 with your 25L12835F dump and it bricks it. It makes the red/green lights flash. Flashing back with my own dump fixes it.

So exactly the same as you, It seems units cannot be fixed from another units flash :(

I have the same behavior, after some time LEDs stop flashing and a permanent blue light is ON (on V1), the unit must be doing something but I don't know what (UART is not displaying anything), we should not expect anything from the manufacturer anyway :rolleyes:

going to try your firmware..what I got to lose..my wife cla250 Benz just reboots itself after a Minuit ...what is cpu scaling for? thanks for your work

Update using the image, then remove it (to avoid flashing the update each time you plug it) and use the USB key to export the logs from the unit (use CarPlay normally for some time then plug the USB key to copy logs - it is automatic -)
For CPU scaling: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_frequency_scaling

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.