CarPlay CarPlay adapter to convert to wireless CarPlay?

zoeck

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
Does anyone know if Carlinkit has the same folder style updates too?
Carlinkit and Carplay2Air are the same adapters with different names... they also use the same updates
and of course the same "update server"

fortetfn

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
I see the update option, but I don’t see any folders or a list of software updates. It only shows if there is a new update.

fortetfn

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Thanks. What is the difference between hicar and tmp? And it works for both Carlinkit and Carplay2air?

Last edited:

D3ggy

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2019
Thanks. What is the difference between hicar and tmp? And it works for both Carlinkit and Carplay2air?
I would wait till one appears in the main folder then run the OTA update. I think the devs must use the hicar folder for testing. At least thats my guess.

I just keep an eye on this directory to tell me if I should bother doing the upgrade OTA.

larbel

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2020
I got two of these adapters, a no brand one, and then a Carlinkit version 2 one. I'm not sure if Carlinkit is really the OEM or ODM but the no brand one that I got was BEFORE Carlinkit even came out with their, and it has the exact same housing, packaging etc as with the Carlinkit except with the brand removed. The Carlinkit, Carplay2air or whatever are all the same units from Carlinkit or other OEM, I dunno...

On the no brand, it is the version 1 which has only black and white CHINESE wording menu with mode 1/2/3, and the connection often drops and music kinda choppy from time to time. Not sure if anyone here knows or cares... But the adapter can actually do wired Android Auto too, on my Audi, it has factory Carplay and Android Auto, but for whatever reason, I could never get Android Auto to connect. But it connects just fine with the adapter so I was pretty happy except for the choppy Carplay music. Since it's a no brand, there was no support, and since the unit is somewhat working, I didn't really look in the forum or anything and didn't even know it's possible to update the firmware etc...

Then the Carlinkit version 2 came along and I had to pick one up, everything Carplay seems to be working perfectly now along with a nicer menu and online update. But to my surprise, they removed Android Auto support, and when I asked the Carlinkit rep about it, they replied "we only specialized in Carplay".. But WTH, the ver 1 had AA support... I couldn't really ask them that coz my ver 1 was a no brand... But several days later and I was messing with the unit, and found out that it's actually capable of Android Miracast! When you plug in an Android, Samsung in my case, it actually said Dex is available on the phone but it never fired up.. And a link popped up saying "No installed apps work with this USB accessory. Learn more about this accessory at https://www.paplink.cn/Drongscreen.php?product=s350l" The site downloads the Drongscreen apk which is a screen recording app for the adapter's miracast, after messing around with it for a bit, I was able to get screen mirroring on the car!! But the resolution was messed up, won't stretch all the way side to side no matter what resolution I pick and leaving a big fat black boarder on both sides. Wish Carlinkit or Drongscreen could aknowlegde this and further develope or fix the resolution issue...

Anyway, the reason for my long post haha.. So I was stupid enough to try and update the firmware on the no brand with the ver 2 firmware link found here, I somehow went to do the update while it was plugged in to the car and saw the message saying "updating..." Pretty sure it finished update with both lights on, so I unplug/plugging it to see if it works.. And I guess something did went wrong, and it's now stuck on endless rebooting loop, the car still sees it as iPhone, but the red light would come on for a few secs and then cut out to reset all over again and the blue light never shows.. Does anyone know of a way to reload the firmware again or how to fix it from endless booting loop? Thanks!
- - Post merged: - -

I see. What is AutoPlayBox?
It's the APK for the units that work with aftermarket Android head units. Not for unit the was intended for factory Carplay/AA

Last edited:

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata and just got the Carlinkit v2. It seems to be working pretty well so far (only tested it on one car ride). Should I even bother updating to the latest firmware, or if it ain't broke.....

Basically wondering if the latest firmware reduces startup time, audio lag, call lag, or anything else. Has anyone with a Hyundai updated to the latest firmware? If so, any issues with it? I don't want to upgrade and then regret it, LOL.

Thanks!

fortetfn

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Mine has been working fine and it auto connects when I start the car. It usually takes about 20-30 seconds. My phone connects to the car hotspot automatically, so I turned off auto join for that network and it works fine after that. Voice calls when the call gets connected in the beginning, it would have delay, but a few seconds afterwards, it got better. For playing music, Audible, Navigation, text messaging and Siri, I haven’t had any issues with the current firmware.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Mine has been working fine and it auto connects when I start the car. It usually takes about 20-30 seconds. My phone connects to the car hotspot automatically, so I turned off auto join for that network and it works fine after that. Voice calls when the call gets connected in the beginning, it would have delay, but a few seconds afterwards, it got better. For playing music, Audible, Navigation, text messaging and Siri, I haven’t had any issues with the current firmware.
Excellent. Thanks.
You have an Audi and not a Hyundai, correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: fortetfn

Monsieur Cacahuète

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2020
Toulouse, France
ordered the Carplay2air on the 29th Jan and still haven't shipped . After numerous email back and forth and was told the shipping will be resume on the 10th Feb . My DHL tracking has not even updated since 30th January

Out of interest does anyone here know is the Aftermarket Sony Head unit XAV-1000 is android based or not? Thanks

Last edited:

WPoly

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2019
Vienna, Austria
ordered the Carplay2air on the 29th Jan and still haven't shipped . After numerous email back and forth and was told the shipping will be resume on the 10th Feb . My DHL tracking has not even updated since 30th January

Out of interest does anyone here know is the Aftermarket Sony Head unit XAV-1000 is android based or not? Thanks
The reason for the delivery delay is that the Carplay2air adapter was sold out and also the coronavirus. My express delivery was 3 days to Austria.

Last edited:

JesseO

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2020
Wondering if the folks here with 2018 Honda Accords have had any luck with the newest firmware. Waiting to order mine until I know it has a chance of working...

arman4s4

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
Wondering if the folks here with 2018 Honda Accords have had any luck with the newest firmware. Waiting to order mine until I know it has a chance of working...
No luck with 22 January 2020 firmware. It doesn't work with 2018 Honda Accord.

I am unable to update to 10/11 February 2020 Firmware.

JesseO

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2020
No luck with 22 January 2020 firmware. It doesn't work with 2018 Honda Accord.

I am unable to update to 10/11 February 2020 Firmware.
Is there a reason you can't update the firmware? And do you know if it affects all the 2018 Accords? AFAIK there are versions with no touchscreen (LX), with just a touchscreen (EX), and a touchscreen with heads-up (Touring). I have the EX. They CarPlay2Air customer support just emailed me and said that it should work, and offered a full money-back guarantee...

JesseO

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2020
it’s easy: there’s no official 10/11 Feb. firmware - it’s just a „test“ software...
Ah. I see. I took a screenshot of your post and sent it to the CarPlay2Air customer support. They said they'd refer it to their engineering team and would email me when they have an update. I'll report back here as soon as I hear back from them.

Which Accord do you have? I read on another forum that there was an issue with the Touring Edition. Is it all the 2018 Accords?

jcactaur

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2005
I've been having issues auto connecting when I restart the car ever since I updated to ios 13.3.1 from 13.3. Too bad the downgrade is now blocked. Will have to hope for updated firmware and be more careful about upgrading ios.

Antlane

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
I've done some digging to discover the following which might be useful.

Link to see new firmware version + changelog:

And here is a dump of the log I generated that was sent to CarPlay2Air. I had to strip this out of a massive text file, remove control characters and convert from Hex so made some assumptions on how it all worked. I may well have stripped out too much but it looks complete apart from my message on the submit form appears to have been cut off.

I was looking for something to say that my car's hardware has hardware keys to control the highlghted button as CarPlay2Air mistakenly thinks the car has them which it doesn't. I've had a quick scan and can't see anything that reports this capability.

As a result of this misreporting, when I press the car's phone key, it moves the highlghted button once to the right which looks like it comes from the line:
Code:
01-01 12:01:18.428557 AM [CAccessory_fd] From HUD Get ########## CarPlayControl(8) CtrlButtonRight(101)
It would be good if CarPlay didn't even highlight anything given the lack of hardware keys although this is a very minor quibble.

If anyone is wondering how I got these, I used SoftEther VPN on my machine and told it to capture all packet information. I then connected my iPhone to the VPN. There might be well be a better method but I couldn't think of one!

Dperry9608

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
Fake. CarPlay2air does not work. The guy will sell you the product and give you the run around knowing full and well it does not work. Do not buy. I warned you. He will not return your money either. FRAUD

D3ggy

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2019
Fake. CarPlay2air does not work. The guy will sell you the product and give you the run around knowing full and well it does not work. Do not buy. I warned you. He will not return your money either. FRAUD
How does that account for many of us who have them and they work?

Reactions: mikejd1