CarPlay CarPlay adapter to convert to wireless CarPlay?

anthover

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Shadowswan is that output include the directory structure of carlinkit device might be be possible to pull the firmware off device if the file system gets mounted on a mac or pc (assuming their is a version of interest).
- - Post merged: - -

Hmm at least there being responsive. I wonder if they consider all the February and March releases "beta". Sigh. I find it hard to believe you can not downgrade to 3.04 or 1.22 if you wanted to. Are you within your return period? Did you buy it from somewhere with a good return policy? I can post 1.22 if you want it. I know 3.04 is already on this page and page 73 and 94

Last edited:
Comment

shadowswan

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
Shadowswan is that output include the directory structure of carlinkit device might be be possible to pull the firmware off device if the file system gets mounted on a mac or pc (assuming their is a version of interest).
I captured this with wire shark so didn’t have physical level access to the device.

it may be able to with test leads and a correct setup but my knowledge is running out at that point!

Comment

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I have two USB-C units being delivered today. One I know has 1.22 on it and the other most likely will have 3.18. I plan to test the 3.18 one for a week or so and if it performs as well or better than 1.22, I would be happy to trade the 1.22 for a 3.18 for those having issues with 3.18 and can’t downgrade.

Comment

alanplum

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
It sounds to me like the 3.18 version changes the location of the update server.

Carlinkit probably got annoyed that people found the secret ip link to the firmware and people randomly putting firmwares on that were not available OTA.

I think they’ve learned this and decided that they’ll change it to something more secure, and will issue one final update into the “old” location updating everyone’s devices to the “new” location.

Its what I would do if I were them....

no evidence of this obviously, but makes sense to me

Comment

shadowswan

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
It sounds to me like the 3.18 version changes the location of the update server.
Its a tricky call without an update being available but nothing points to that.

If you complete a check for update via the 192.168.50.2 it sends a command to that paplink.cn link and recieves the reply. My box is on 3.18 and sees the reply exactly the same as my browser.

Code:
{"filePath":".\/download\/2020-01-22\/U2W_Update.img","fileSize":"5123518","fileName":"U2W_Update.img","version":"2020.01.22.2233","updateTime":"2020-01-22 22:54:23","updateLog":"Solve the problem that media information always freeze on dashboard\nSolve the problem that the navigation volume of some cars cannot be adjusted independently"}
This suggests to me that it isn't looking elsewhere.

It then checks that the box is online and activated and confirms this with the same paplink.cn server.

Comment

alanplum

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Its a tricky call without an update being available but nothing points to that.

If you complete a check for update via the 192.168.50.2 it sends a command to that paplink.cn link and recieves the reply. My box is on 3.18 and sees the reply exactly the same as my browser.

Code:
{"filePath":".\/download\/2020-01-22\/U2W_Update.img","fileSize":"5123518","fileName":"U2W_Update.img","version":"2020.01.22.2233","updateTime":"2020-01-22 22:54:23","updateLog":"Solve the problem that media information always freeze on dashboard\nSolve the problem that the navigation volume of some cars cannot be adjusted independently"}
This suggests to me that it isn't looking elsewhere.

It then checks that the box is online and activated and confirms this with the same paplink.cn server.
Blows my theory out of the water. 😀

Well done for the diagnosis.

Comment

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Received the USB-C one today from Carlinkit China. Shipped on 4/17. To my surprise it wasn’t running 1.22 or 3.18, but something older than 1.22, so it updated to 1.22. I think this is a first for the new USB-C units in this thread.

The weren’t even for sale prior to January 22. This leads me to believe that the hardware or EPROM chip inside is exactly the same as the “old” unit and they used old stock to build it?

Dunno? But I swear it boots faster then the old one with 1.22 on it. So somethings got to be different. I wouldn’t think a USB-C connection has anything to do with it.

So I guess I can’t compare 3.18 to 1.22 as I hoped, but the good news is 1.22 works fine for me.

Comment

wolves

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
Received the USB-C one today from Carlinkit China. Shipped on 4/17. To my surprise it wasn’t running 1.22 or 3.18, but something older than 1.22, so it updated to 1.22. I think this is a first for the new USB-C units in this thread.

The weren’t even for sale prior to January 22. This leads me to believe that the hardware or EPROM chip inside is exactly the same as the “old” unit and they used old stock to build it?

Dunno? But I swear it boots faster then the old one with 1.22 on it. So somethings got to be different. I wouldn’t think a USB-C connection has anything to do with it.

So I guess I can’t compare 3.18 to 1.22 as I hoped, but the good news is 1.22 works fine for me.
I had this as well, posted a few days back but not sure what the original version was, just knew that I updated my USB-C once it arrived to 1.22. Do you know what the original was?

Comment

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I had this as well, posted a few days back but not sure what the original version was, just knew that I updated my USB-C once it arrived to 1.22. Do you know what the original was?
Thanks, good to know.

I don’t and I’m kicking myself for not looking on the car interface before I pressed upgrade on my phone. The upgrade interface on the phone doesn’t tell you what’s on it unless it’s current.

Comment

bookemdano

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2011

Since you have both adapters, would you be willing to run a test with a stopwatch to measure the boot speed difference? Since both your adapters are on 1.22 and you'd be using them in the same vehicle it would be a pretty good comparison to see if the boot speed really does vary between the two (and maybe run the test a few times on each adapter to account for normal variation).

Comment

anthover

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Yeah I think the hardware is more or less the same. And thus the USB-C one should be freely updatable to March updates as needed. Bookemdano can you diefine boot speed? There is the time it takes for the unit to show on AV screen display carplay etc. but before your phone is connected. The Carlinkit also goes though a sequence where it auto-connects to one or more phones. I find this 2nd step happenss quickly most of the time and other times Phone and Carlinkit do not want to play nice. I usually reboot my phone when this happens as no matter of choosing the phone from Car AV usually works. Most of the time if I blink i would miss the chance to choose between my wife and my phone.

As I have noted earlier when your near your house the hand shake between Carlinkit and Phone is sometimes impeded and you can be better of ignoring car play till your away from home. or you can also change your Iphone wifi home wifi networks settings to not automatically connect.

Comment

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Since you have both adapters, would you be willing to run a test with a stopwatch to measure the boot speed difference? Since both your adapters are on 1.22 and you'd be using them in the same vehicle it would be a pretty good comparison to see if the boot speed really does vary between the two (and maybe run the test a few times on each adapter to account for normal variation).
I think you are referring to the boot up time of the old and the new. Unfortunately, knowing I definitely had at least 1 USB-C coming this week, I sold the CP2A on eBay. Surprisingly, it sold a lot quicker than I thought with a lot of interest and a great price.

I get what you are saying with boot up time. A simple press of the start button on my car to the Apple screen time tests with both units a few times each would have been interesting. Pretty straight forward.

I used the CP2A for about 6 weeks. I will definitely know if the USB-C boot faster after a few days or maybe even today. I won’t have any proof, but I’ll know. I plugged it in last night to set it up and update it. Both boots were faster than the CP2A.

Murphy’s law. I buy a USB-C one from a member here because I’m impatient waiting for the one from China and they come the same day.

Anyway, I’m going to just enjoy the “new” one even if it’s the same as the old, I’ve had no issues so far to speak of. Connects every time, no issues with conflicts with my home WiFi which is very strong. I start the car in the garage each morning and it connects. I can’t remember the last time I actually had to unplug it. Another piece of good news is that the flat ribbon cable and USB-C adapter work with the new unit.

Last edited:
Comment

phantom25

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
One behavior that I have observed with the non USB-C version dongle that I have, is that when there are two phones paired to it, the carplay audio goes bongkers and start to stutter. It will connect flawlessly to the last phone connected and launch carplay, however, the second phone also connects wirelessly which I can confirm by checking the second phone's wifi connection.

I happen to observe this as there was this one time that I forgot to bring my personal phone [which was the only phone initially paired to the dongle] and was too lazy to get out of the car to get it, so I just paired my work phone and drove out. The next day, having two phones with me, went in the car, carplay launched from the work phone as expected, but when my waze navigation stated to talk, it was stuttering.

Tried to figureOut what was causing it and thats when I saw on my personal phone that it was also connected to the dongle's wifi even though my work phone was projecting carplay to my headunit. Deleting the work phone from the dongle and the dongle's BT name from the work phone fixed the issue.

Cheers!

Comment

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
One behavior that I have observed with the non USB-C version dongle that I have, is that when there are two phones paired to it, the carplay audio goes bongkers and start to stutter. It will connect flawlessly to the last phone connected and launch carplay, however, the second phone also connects wirelessly which I can confirm by checking the second phone's wifi connection.

I happen to observe this as there was this one time that I forgot to bring my personal phone [which was the only phone initially paired to the dongle] and was too lazy to get out of the car to get it, so I just paired my work phone and drove out. The next day, having two phones with me, went in the car, carplay launched from the work phone as expected, but when my waze navigation stated to talk, it was stuttering.

Tried to figureOut what was causing it and thats when I saw on my personal phone that it was also connected to the dongle's wifi even though my work phone was projecting carplay to my headunit. Deleting the work phone from the dongle and the dongle's BT name from the work phone fixed the issue.

Cheers!
Thanks for this. I only have one phone paired but I can imagine this unit being confused easily. I have one phone and I’m the only driver of my car, so no need to pair my GFs phone or others.

I will say this, Waze is notoriously buggy with CarPlay in general.

Comment

manjinjorgo

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
I'm using CP2A for more then 2 months and 2 phones are working more or less correctly: in some rare case I need to disconnect/connect USB dongle.
Issue I discovered is problem with my touch screen when I need to administer CP2A dongle. I can't select which phone I want to connect to neither delete any ot them from CP2A because touch screen is not responding. It is not possible to go back to Ford menu nor to choose another language. Ones when CarPlay is working I have full response from touch screen but not before that. Obviously, there is no problem with touch screen in my car because everywhere else except on CP2A screen. My car is Ford C-max 2017 with Sync3 3.0 latest available infotainment SW available. It looks to me that CP2A doesn't consider there are only touch screen used to control CP2A.
I contacted CP2A support and after their request I upload my log file from USB dongle to their server. I got reply from them with answer about upgrade which will be available soon. I hope with fix for my problem.
Does anybody discover something similar in your cars?

Regards//

Comment