Carracho Server Question

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
Okay, my buddy has a DSL modem, and a router. His computer is plugged into the router and the modem is plugged into the WAN. He can access the internet, but nobody on the outside can see his server. Any ideas?Anyone familiar with that carroacho or whatever it is?

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Me

I have a network at my house. My bro did it but im sure that the machine where the cable comes in is not behind the firewall. You have to set the IPs and stuff, I dont nkow how though, and he is out of town...sorry!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Carracho Server Question

Originally posted by iH8Quark
Okay, my buddy has a DSL modem, and a router. His computer is plugged into the router and the modem is plugged into the WAN. He can access the internet, but nobody on the outside can see his server. Any ideas?Anyone familiar with that carroacho or whatever it is?
You need to configure your router to open you machine to the "outside world" See the instructions about it.

arn

atomwork

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach

or you have to advertise your sever. Check the carracho info about this. go to tracker-tracker.com for more...

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Re: ...

Originally posted by atomwork
or you have to advertise your sever. Check the carracho info about this. go to tracker-tracker.com for more...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh well. He meant he was behind a firewall but he wants to have a carracho server :rolleyes:

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
port forwarding

Depending on your router and what options it has, Arn is right, you can configure it so the outsitde world can see it. Many suport "DMZ". One computer on your network is infront of the router and can be seen compleetly by the outside world... but.. this might leave you open to attack. You can also do whats called port forwarding. You tell the router that any request on the 2 ports that Carracho uses, is forwared to your Static private IP address. Port forwarding is a good idea for security and if you only have a few ports you need to forward. If your ISP does a port scan on your IP, they will not see as much.

-evildead

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
PS. I would not use DMZ due to the fact it forwards all the traffic to your computer and leaves all ports open. DMZ is really only god if you running wingate for example :)