Carrier name disappears sometimes. is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iGuy38, Mar 10, 2013.

1. iGuy38 macrumors member

I have a virgin mobile iphone 4s with ios 6.1.2 that i bought in January. recently, I noticed that the carrier name (virgin) disappears totally when I run out of bars. It started doing this a few days ago. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I've noticed this recently when my AT&T iP5 switches back and forth between 4G and LTE (like when I get a call and it has to turn off LTE for a minute). Also, I haven't seen it say No Signal in a long time, so I think maybe they might have switched No Signal to the 5 bottomed out bars?

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah the same thing happened to my old iPhone whenever it kept losing connection (faulty wireless chip). So yes, the phone does that when you have a poor connection.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Time to get yourself some new bars. They're only $8.95 each at the Apple Store. Remember to get AppleCare for them, only an additional $2.00 and you don't have to worry about losing them again.

5. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

It happens to me for about less than a second, when it switches from LTE to 4G and visa versa.

6. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

My AT&T iPhone 5 does this from time-to-time. Even the data symbol disappears.

7. maliu macrumors 6502a

Yes when Verizon goes down, no carrier is seen.

8. JAT macrumors 603

The carrier name shows what network you are connected to, nothing more. Same as any other phone. If you aren't connected, it shouldn't say anything.

9. maxosx macrumors 68020

It's a normal result of low or no signal strength.