Carrier Recommendation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rutledjw, Jan 23, 2012.

1. rutledjw macrumors member

Hey folks, I have an iPhone 3g, and it's LONG past time to upgrade...

Frankly, I'm less than satisfied with AT&T, but I have a contract through my employer that's pretty good. Any recommendations? How are Sprint and Verizon? Before I went to AT&T, I had a Sprint phone and was pretty happy with it.

What about for international use? I travel, and need something that will work overseas. I know I can use AT&T, but can I swap the SIM for a local network? If not, I'll probably jailbreak the iPhone 3 and use that overseas. PLEASE hit me up if you have experience and recommendations in that area!

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

If I were you I'd stick with AT&T, as their network has really improved. However, if that's not an option, I'd go with Verizon. Network coverage is fantastic and they have a very solid network. The only downside is that they use CDMA/EVDO technology. So your iPhone 4s (assuming that's what go with) won't be able to take advantage of the 14.4Mbps download speed or use voice and data simultaneously.

I had Sprint through work earlier this summer and that was such a nightmare. This was before the iPhone 4 & 4s hit. I got home only to find out I could barely get a signal and was constantly roaming on Verizon. AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile all have excellent coverage at my house so go figure with Sprint. Download speeds were also a complete nightmare and I think I hit .90mbps once which was extremely rare. Keep in mind, when I hit barely 1Mbps I had 5 bars. Speeds were less than 512Kbps with 3 bars or less for me.

If unlimited data is a major factor for you and Sprint provides good coverage in your area then go with them. If you want to be a much more reliable network and much better company in my opinion go with Verizon. Though many have been able to get unlimited data on Verizon. Just see this thread. Good luck!!!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/134619-get-unlimited-data-ungrandfathered-lines.html

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Do you have a unlimited data plan with AT&T? If yes, stick with it.

For international travel AT&T GSM phones work fine, specially if you add the World Traveler and Roaming plan for $10 a month, you get better rates.

Where are you traveling to? I think Korea is the other country where CDMA is a big thing.

However the iPhone 4S has the dual chip so it also works internationally, but for Verizon and Sprint they have some procedures to allow the phone to roam to GSM networks.

All international roaming data plans are very expensive, so avoid them.

If you really want to get a unlocked iPhone 4S, get it from Apple and not from any of the carriers, as the unlock they give is limited.

Unlocking the 3G is a good move.

4. rutledjw thread starter macrumors member

I have unlimited data, but I rarely push it. I remember the South Korea thing, I think parts of Japan are (or were) the same way. I'll be going traveling mostly to Europe, Some Middle East and the Pacific Rim.

For the unlock provided by carriers, can I swap SIM cards?

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As always: coverage where you need it first.

That would be the point of unlocking.

6. cynics macrumors G3

I have Verizon and there coverage is good but their 3G speed is pretty lousy more often then I'd prefer.

My android tablet works great but my iPhone 4s not so much.