Carrier Recommendations?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lazer155, Sep 13, 2012.

1. lazer155 macrumors regular

I'm looking to switch my family plan from verizon. Verizon has been getting more and more expensive over the years and I am finally ready to switch. Curently we have 4 phones. 2 old LG smartphones and 2 "dumb phones". We're paying about $250 a month. When I switch, I would like to have 3 iphones and 1 "dumb phone".

I was planning on jailbreaking them to unlock them and use a sim card of my choice. I was looking at some of the smaller carriers like Simple Mobile and Virgin Wireless. My main concern though is coverage and if some of the smaller providers other than the big 4 (sprint, t-mobile, verizon, and at&t) have reliable service. I'm in Arizona the majority of the time but do travel to Colorado occasionally.

What are your guys' recommendations for a cheaper carrier with reliable service? (or is there even such a thing?)

2. lazer155 thread starter macrumors regular

3. jeter0490 macrumors member

you can't just jailbreak and unlock....doesn't work like that anymore...someone has to be able to develop and software unlock for you to do that

4. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Look into straight talk it piggy backs on ATT's network and is dirt cheap. You need to look at coverage maps though to see who has the best coverage where you are.

5. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

The carrier I'd investigate is an MVNO: StraightTalk. Even though, you'd have to liquidate your current handsets which appear to be CDMA, I think if savings are your goal, it would be worth it. You can even use phones that are locked to a network, just make sure that they are GSM. I bought my 4S on Craigslist and pay about $49 per month for voice, messaging and web.

6. RNVarma macrumors regular

I would recommend Straight Talk or T-Mobile prepaid.

7. darster Suspended

Caught my error. Thought he had 8 phones, when he has 4 total. $250 is a lot. Too much. Agree with other's posts.