Carrier Switch Early Termination Scenarios

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gwoz, Nov 8, 2012.

1. gwoz macrumors newbie

Two smartphone lines on Verizon, 1 on contract till 12/19, 1 on month-to-month.

Two iPhone 5s arriving via FedEx today from ATT, signed up for a mobile share plan. Porting over both numbers.

My understanding is ETF for Verizon is $350, subtracting $10 for every month on contract. I have already paid Novermber bill. So I figured I owed either $120 or $130 for ETF.

Now what are my best options, what is possible for me to do?

1) Pay ETF, switch

2)Wait to activate both phones on 12/19 (Can you activate whenever?)

3)Remove Month-to-Month line from Verizon, Activate only 1 phone on ATT (Will this work? Will I only play for 1 phone on ATT till the other phone is activated)

4)Activate both phones, port both numbers over. Assign new number to verizon phone, cancel on 12/19. (Can this be done?)

5) Any other scenarios, that would reduce my expected fees?

I apologize for this being my first post since its not directly iphone related, but I know this community is rather robust and carrier talk has been discussed the last few months.

2. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

You should have just created new verizon lines and just cancelled the old ones when the contract ended.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

What is your urgency? Do you want to avoid the ETF?

Most will recommend waiting till 12/19 and porting them both over. No ETF and no hassle.

Anything else will be more work and more money.

EDIT: If the numbers are already ported then you will be charged the ETF. If they are not ported until activation then wait.

4. gwoz thread starter macrumors newbie

I order the phone online with the information of porting the numbers. So my understanding is that I am basically stuck?

Now I am getting the phones in the mail, what happens if I don't open them. Can they be activated without me even opening the package?

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

ATT will activate automatically after a short period of time (not sure the exact time). If that happens before your Verizon contract is up you will be charged the ETF. Even if it's one day early they will get you for $100+. :mad:

6. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Why don't you just cancel the whole transaction and just wait until you can break the contract without a fee?