iPad Carrying iPad to these public places, you list which would be more ideal

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Misskitty, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Just want to see what everyone thinks. Copy n paste and fill in your answers. I put in my answers too.

1) shopping mall - mini
    2) coffee shop/cafe -mini
    3) sporting event or concert - mini
    4) car - equal
    5) bus/train (sitting) - equal
    6) bus/train (standing) - mini
    7) grocery store - mino
    8) bar/lounge - mini
    9) airport - equal
    10) airplane - air

Im just realistically trying to figure out how well the air would fit into these places and not stand out like a spar thumb. Cause lets face it, the air isnt discreet like the mini is.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You really need people to tell you where things seem out of place? :confused:

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do you have an iPhone? If not, get an iPod touch and use that when you want to be discreet.

Yes, the mini is less conspicuous than the Air in most of those places. The question is, which is your more primary use -- use an iPad at home/class/office, where discretion isn't such an issue, or use it outside in the type of places you list?

My use is:
    Home / Office -Akr
    Sitting in subway / bus - Air, because I'm sitting
    Restaurant / cafe - Air when I'm just with my partner. He always has hs nose in his iPad too, so he doesn't mind. :p When we're with other people, I use my iPhone, or just don't use any device at all.

For everything else, I use the iPhone.

4. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

For me, half and half id say. But i carry it around with me a lot. Ive used my mini over the past year in malls and stuff. Not sure how id feel about rocking out my air in malls and stuff haha. Seems a bit too flamboyant no?

5. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

1) shopping mall - iPhone
    2) coffee shop/cafe -air
    3) sporting event or concert - iPhone or maybe an air. I could see keeping up with stats during the game on a tablet while youre there. Might add to the experiece.
    4) car(passenger -air) Driver(iPhone...but dont text and drive)text and drive
    5) bus/train (sitting) - air
    6) bus/train (standing) - air
    7) grocery store - air
    8) bar/lounge - iphone
    9) airport - air
    10) airplane - air

I cant see myself ever owning a mini unless I just couldnt afford air. but even in that case, i would just save until I could. wherever you can use a mini, you can use an air. a mini is no more descreet than an air.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not really. I've used iPads in stores, and while a mini is easier to hold standing up, a full-sized iPad isn't really more conspicuous in that situation. It's all in the attitude. Act like walking around with an iPad is perfectly normal, and 99% of the time, other people will react accordingly.

7. baypharm, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Seriously? You're for real? Backpacks are as normal as tablets...

8. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I have an rMini and it's not really any more discreet than a full-size iPad. It's much bigger than an e-reader or any of the cheap 7-inch tablets and definitely sticks out because of its aspect ratio.

That said, I carry it everywhere (it fits in my jacket pocket) and my old full-sized iPad never left the house. I don't really care about being discreet, it's not like I'm walking through dark Detroit alleys in the middle of the night flashing my iPad around. I use it on the subway, at the airport, etc.

9. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Carrying any 10-inch tablet to all these public places makes one look dorky and ridiculous. It's like carrying a coffee-table sized book to these same places.

And sitting and reading from a phone screen makes one look as stupid as someone reading a matchbox-sized book.

7 to 8 inches is just an ideal size for not drawing any attention to yourself.

10. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I've always kept my iPads at home unless I'm traveling. I carry my iPod Touch everywhere. I can easily read books, papers and magazines on the subway or bus. After all, the font is adjustable. Internet access is a bit awkward as the image really doesn't reformat for the small screen. It's good enough for an emergency visit to a Starbucks to look up something.

11. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

It stopped even being remotely weird to have a tablet about three years ago. They're so commonplace, I don't see what the big deal is. And in any case a mini is not appreciably less conspicuous than an air.

12. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

1) shopping mall - I would be shopping!
    2) coffee shop/cafe -I would be drinking coffee!
    3) sporting event or concert - I would be watching the event/concert!
    4) car - I would be driving!
    5) bus/train (sitting) - mini.
    6) bus/train (standing) - mini.
    7) grocery store - I would be shopping for grocery's!
    8) bar/lounge - I would be drinking beer!
    9) airport - mini.
    10) airplane - mini.

:D

13. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

14. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing beats an 8" tab. Commuting with the air is a lot more cumbersome than the mini.

15. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

1) shopping mall - mini
    2) coffee shop/cafe -mini
    3) sporting event or concert - mini
    4) car - mini
    5) bus/train (sitting) - mini
    6) bus/train (standing) - mini
    7) grocery store - mino
    8) bar/lounge - mini
    9) airport - mini
    10) airplane - air

I wear a jacket with pockets big enough for a mini and that makes a huge difference in how I use the device. It's so convenient being able to pull it out and slip it away without even having to reach for a briefcase or bag.

Of course there's always a tradeoff and no device is perfect. There are times an Air would make reading easier, web-sites can be a bit cramped on a minhi, and I do think movies look better on a bigger screen. For me, the additional portability is worth these compromises.

16. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Standing or walking, the mini is much better. I remember 3 years i was working this crappy temp job during xmas and i had to hold an ipad 2 and enter customers emails into it. Lets just say it was brutal cause the ipad was like a carrying a slab of concrete.

17. mpantone macrumors 6502

Yeah, I don't get the point of this thread.

People have been using tablets big and small (Kindles, Nooks, whatever that Sony thing was called) for years. I mostly see them in places where people have more than 5-10 minutes to kill: public transit, coffee shops, etc.

Heck, I find it far more weird to see someone using a netbook these days.

18. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

lmao, lets not exaggerate here. ipad 2 weight at just 1.33lbs

19. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Prior to the mini people could be found carrying the full sized iPad almost anywhere and I hardly think they looked dorky or ridiculous. And with everyone sitting or walking around looking at there smart phones constantly how would you know whether they are reading or checking e-mails, texts, etc.? If people are drawing attention to themselves it probably isn't related to the device they are using.

----------

Or imagine seeing someone reading a newspaper. Or a book with a real book spine. They probably have no idea how much attention they are drawing to themselves. :)