Carrying phone in pants pocket

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 537635, Sep 22, 2013.

?

Which direction?

1. Screen away from the thigh.

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Screen towards the thigh.

86 vote(s)
    64.7%
  3. Doesn't matter.

34 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. 537635 macrumors 6502

I was wondering, whether you carry your phone with the screen away from your thigh or towards it?

2. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

Odd topic, but i'll bite... :D

Usually facing away from my thigh so I can quickly press home and look if I got any texts.

3. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

4. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

I can see exactly the same people who post their preferences here in a new thread "My iPhone bent itself magically" in a few weeks.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Screen towards the thigh.

Only time I didn't do that (and I mean literally the only time) with my 3GS, I tripped and fell and smashed it.

Lesson learnt.

6. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Screen on my thigh always, I'm very OCD about this :p

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Top down towards my foot, and screen facing my thigh.

8. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Same here.

9. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Funny, I thought I was equally OCD about this but I always go screen away from thigh so any sweat moisture/salt won't seep in around home button. I guess I figured that's a bigger risk than shattering glass through pants. If something hits me that hard I guess I'd just be grateful my iPhone was in the way!

10. 537635 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's odd, I know :), but from the looks of it, there's already a few different arguments about either way.

As far as bending is concerned, I've been carrying phones in my pants pocket since Siemens S10 15 years ago without any problems. Could be tricky carrying it in the back pocket and sitting on it.

I carry it with the screen inside (protection and because the headphone jack is more easily accessible (on iP5 at least). Before it was top up (iP4).

11. Becact macrumors member

I've honestly never thought of this before, nor made any conscious effort to put it in one way or another...

12. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

facing in, top up, front right pocket with nothing else in it. Always. Well, if anything goes in there, it may be a credit card or ID, but that's it. And that is always on the back side of the phone. It makes it really easy for me to pull it out by the top and hit the sleep button to quickly look at the time or any missed notifications. I have never had a single scratch or busted phone yet since getting the 3GS at launch.

13. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Back left pocket screen towards my fat ass. Plenty of protection. LOL

14. matttye macrumors 601

Upside down with screen facing my thigh. Easiest orientation to quickly pull out and use!

15. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Glad I'm not the only one.

16. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I never bent a iPhone in my back pocket and I'm not a skinny person either. But it's always to the side as well. I guess if it was not floating so much in my pocket to move to the side it could be a issue. I'm also always aware of sitting directly on it. Matter of getting used to it or pulling it out when I sit on a concrete bench or something hard. Guess maybe been lucky

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Assuming people are only using their rear pocket, are we?

18. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I carry mine in my front left pocket. I don't consider how it faces, up down, sideways, vertical, outward, thighward. The most important is, that it's the only thing in that pocket.

19. Altis macrumors 68000

Left front pocket always.

Top-down, unless I'm using headphones (4S). Usually face-in by virtue of the way I hold it with my left hand. When I place/get my phone, it's in the same grip as I use it this way. Not worried at all about the screen.

20. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

I do the exact same

21. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

The only drawback with towards the thigh is that if you accidentally put your phone in your pocket without putting it in standby, odd things can happen. One time it made 5 silent calls all on its own, another time it deleted half my apps :) However two incidents in several years isn't too concerning. Towards the thigh and top down is the most logical choice.

22. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

Always towards my body (shirt pocket or pants pocket). And it always rides alone, nothing else in the pocket. I owned an ipaq 2215 and less than ten minutes into my first work day with it someone bumped me and my keys broke the screen. It's probably the most OCD type thing I do because of that...I can still hear that sickening crunch.

23. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

Strange topic, I agree but I see there are a couple folks just like me: top down, screen facing thigh, never with anything else in there. Being a righty, it's naturally in my right pocket.

24. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Well now... I was right with you until the last part. You're right handed, but you put it in your right pocket? Mine goes in the left pocket, because I always use my left hand for using the phone, or TV remotes etc. Historically, so the right hand is free to do something else like use a pen, I suppose.

25. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

Honestly, I'm a strange righty; I ride snowboards goofy, I use things with my left and right (although not technically ambidextrous), I'm always switching hands with things I find I can get away with using the left, etc. Simply put, I'm a weirdo. :p