Carved - Wood Cases and Real Wood Skins for iPhone 5.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by prezasti, Oct 5, 2012.

1. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

The cases from http://www.carved.com look awesome! The iPhone 5 Case isn't out yet, but the iPhone 4/4S cases look sweet, so I have a feeling the iPhone 5 case will also look as good.

Did anyone here have one of their iPhone 4/4S cases? If so, how did you like it?

Their Real Wood Skins for the iPhone 5 also look sweet.

2. prezasti thread starter macrumors 6502

prezasti

Up...

Anyone use these cases for their 4/4S? Any issues? I want this for my iPhone 5, but I'm not sure how well they hold up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

4. prezasti thread starter macrumors 6502

prezasti

I'm actually debating between the two companies cases. Miniot does look nice, but I like the look of the metal buttons on the Carved cases and they seem slimmer. The Miniot are very nice looking. If I got the Miniot Case, I'd have to get the "Wenge." :cool:

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. ngocnguyen macrumors member

I would hardly call that "precision machining"...I think when they were routing the head jack hole, they didn't have their bit flush to the top surface..you see the recess around the surface. The hole to the mute switch looks pretty butchered as well..splitting along the edges..not a very clean cut. Truthfully, anyone that makes an all wood case, it ends up looking like a blob..same radius on the edges...plain Jane. They should consider using a tighter grain(denser) wood so details show up more.

the laser engraved/cut back plates...every body and anybody does them..nothing unique there.

6. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

How do you think they compare to grove wooden cases? Just google grove iphone case.

7. ngocnguyen macrumors member

Grove's cases are pretty simple in design...only difference is they're working with an easily replenish able material, bamboo...which is cool stuff and details are more consistent that with other woods. I think Grove prides themselves on their unique graphics and lifestyle...not so much the actual case.

8. VinnyV macrumors member

im actually in love with wooden cases such as these but to me they just add too much bulk , does anyone know if there is any wooden bumpers only?:D

9. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

So you don't believe the cases themselves are as high of quality compared to other non grove wooden cases, like the ones above?

10. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Wow, the carved cases are made locally to where I live. Might need to consider them!

11. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

I suggest you check us out. Thin to win :) And waaaay sturdier than wood.

12. prezasti thread starter macrumors 6502

prezasti

I'll be the judge of that! :cool: I just preordered one of your iPhone 5 Twig Cases. I'll let you know if I like it. :)

13. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Thanks! Really appreciate it. I expect you will let me know if you don't :)

14. v3rn macrumors regular

I posed this in the Sector 5 thread, but thought it could go here as well.

This doesn't have anything too much to do with the Sector 5, but it's an interesting idea I'm trying out to allow me to mount my iPhone with my Sector 5 to my dashboard.

So I'm trying something. I owned a Rokform case for a bit, and it had a magnet built into it so that you could attach it to anything metal or attach it to another magnet. I had a small magnet attached to my dashboard, so it made attaching my phone incredibly easy and I didn't need to buy a big mount and a different case.

So I purchased a really thin magnet and plan on shaving out a bit of the inside of my carved.com wood back plate and sticking it inside. The ultrasuede back that comes with the Sector 5 would probably work great, you could stick the plate on right over the magnet. And I bought a bigger magnet that has 3M sticky tape on it so I can attach it to my dashboard. I'm hoping it will work. I don't see any reason why it won't, but I'm just hoping that the magnet I got for the inside of the back plate is strong enough. The magnet inside the plate has a 2.2 lb pull force. And the magnet I got for the dash has a 15 lb pull force. I'm thinking that should be plenty to hold the phone securely to the dashboard.

The magnet that goes inside the case is only 1/32" thick. So It's incredibly thin and I think it will fit fine between the back plate and the phone with maybe a bit of sanding/shaving. I also purchased a 1/16" magnet if the 1/32" isn't strong enough.

Anyways, here is where I got the idea from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEu3m_2rjNg

I think this could work well with any wood case, and I'll let you know how it goes with fitting the magnet inside the carved wood back as well.