Case and screen protector for 2015 13‑inch MacBook Pro with Retina display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lsquare, Jan 3, 2016.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

I just bought the 2015 13‑inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. Any suggestions for a thin case and easy to install screen protector?

2. lrmd98 macrumors member

lrmd98

3. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I typically won't recommend a hard case, simply since it does interfere with the heat dissipation. I would use a sleeve to protect the laptop from damage when moving though. Personally use an incase sleeve which works very nice. I don't bother with screen protector since I'm not touching the screen.

4. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

I agree with RoboWarriorSr.

Search some of the boards. There is a lot of folks talking about the negative issues of hard shell cases. Abrasion marks, trapping dirt and grime, prematurely wearing out the screen hinge, trapping heat, etc.

If you buy an Apple laptop you are paying a premium for all the design and engineering Apple put in to it to make it as thin and light as possible. Doesn't slapping a clip on plastic shell over the whole exterior (making it heavier and thicker) negate all the work you just paid the premium for?

I would suggest looking around for a good quality sleeve that is not made from neoprene (traps heat) or uses a zippered closure (scratches). Maybe something like this -

MacBook Pro Sleeve

Most damage occurs to laptops during transport, not during use. Most people are pretty mindful of what is going on around them when they are working on their MacBooks. Again, we've all paid a premium for our Apple laptops. The better condition they are in when it comes time to upgrade, the more money can be recouped to put towards the new model. A good quality sleeve will protect your new baby long term without any of the negatives that seem to be inherent in the clip on shells.

Congratulations on your purchase and good luck keeping it safe!