Case Degrading iPhone 4S Battery Life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HeezyBear, Feb 29, 2012.

1. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Let me start by saying that even I'm skeptical of the claim I'm making because it seems so improbable. However, I can't help but make this association because for the past week my battery life has been terrible and the only thing I've changed is that I put a case on my iPhone 4S. This is the case.

For example, my battery life is at 23% with 3 hours and 30 minutes of usage and 7 hours of standby. I'm tweeting, messaging, instragramming, and browsing the web every so often. This is all on 3G, but it's basically what I do every day and have no problem getting a good 5.5 hours of usage out of. Then I usually make it home with around 30% and get on wifi. Tomorrow I'm going to take the case off for the day and see if I get different results.

Anyone ever have a similar experience or can chime in?

2. cynics macrumors G3

I can't imagine a reason why. If a case effects it then so would it being in your pocket. Do you think the battery goes flat faster with it in your pocket?

3. HeezyBear thread starter macrumors regular

I get what you're saying, but no I don't think that. I mean, I used to have my phone naked and it'd be in my pocket all the time and I didn't experience any sort of problems.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

maybe because it is harder for the cell signal to travel through the case?

5. HeezyBear thread starter macrumors regular

This thought ran across my mind. There doesn't seem to be a loss of bars, but would this matter? Would there be a way to test this?

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Not that I know of. It is not the loss of bars, but rather the extra strength required to penetrate the leather (?)

7. cynics macrumors G3

Yes, use field test mode a few times both with the case on and off and average the dbm and compare.

8. HeezyBear thread starter macrumors regular

I ran the test five times with and five times without the case with the following results:

With Case: 1. -64 2. -64 3. -64 4. -64 5. -64 Average = -64

Without Case: 1. -65 2. -65 3. -53 4. -53 5. -71 Average = -61.4

9. cynics macrumors G3

That's nothing. Its not the case effecting your signal. You have amazing reception btw...-53 is really good.

10. HeezyBear thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, AT&T is really good here in Baltimore so it's hard for me to understand when people complain about it. But anyhow, this is still irking me. I really want to know what's going on. Guess I'll just go without a case for the next few days and see if it changes anything.