Caseless iPhone users enter!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yodayoda, Nov 3, 2011.

1. yodayoda macrumors regular

Do you keep your iPhone on tables (wood, glass, etc) when you are not using them...Has it resulted in scratching? Tend to use my phone without a case and then am hesitant to put it on a table without a cloth on top of the table? Maybe I'm overdoing it? Thoughts welcome...

2. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I did briefly. But I learned that the back is pretty scratch prone. In my pocket on my old i4 I got a light 1 inch scratch on the back. I would advise investing in a clear protector for the back.

3. yodayoda thread starter macrumors regular

def hard to see scratches (especially lights ones) on the white phone

4. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

I kept my black iphone 4 caseless in my pocket with only a small microfiber cloth in the pocket. When I needed to set the phone on a hard surface, I put the microfiber cloth (royalty pillow :D) under phone. I didn't have any scratches.

5. yodayoda thread starter macrumors regular

lmao thats what i've been doing but its pretty annoying always having to take a microfiber cloth around with me lol - you would think the phone is designed that it can be put on a table without it scratching, it's a cell phone after all - My intuition has normally been to use the phone as it's meant to be used and have never really noticed any problems, but only time will tell!

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry but iPhone users in this forum could spot a stuck pixel from across the room so a scratch is a scratch.

There is no doubt that tossing your naked iPhone on a table or other surface will result in scratches. Anyone who say, after a year or so, that they have no scratches doing this is in denial!

7. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Unless I've got my Gelaskin on my iPhone gets a royalty pillow...I mean napkin.

8. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I've been laying my naked iPhone on wooden tables, metal, etc and can see very faint scratches coming about. Good thing I have a clear film back protector though. When I take off the film, the original glass should be pristine.

9. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I won't be using a case but will be wrapping it with:

Front and Back clear protectors
    Luckylabs spectra wrap for the antenna

10. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

I just put it down on a napkin, towel, tshirt. Anything that's soft really and never got a scratch on the back of my iPhone 4 for a year and change.

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I was going to rock my white iPhone naked... but I'm considering a Best Skin Ever or some sort of cheaper 3M skin now that I hear it's scratch prone. There's a 2 dollar one on Amazon called Skintomi I'm eyeballing right now.

12. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Definitely buy a skin of some sort. It can still have a naked appearance with the clear skins.

And just because it's white it's a scratch prone. I've seen a black iPhone 4 with (minor) scratches on screen and the back. In fact the white will be better for hiding minor scratches. Nonetheless just get a skin. I like BSE.

13. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I just joined the completely naked club (that sounds weird) and it feels great! I previously kept my iPhone 4 sandwiched between two protectors.

The naked iPhone feels so much nicer and the display is a lot clearer! So far I've had absolutely no scratches. I'm not especially careful with my phone, but I avoid placing it on rough surfaces (e.g. concrete) and I keep it in my left pocket with nothing else.

I'm just forcing myself through the honeymoon period, after which I'm sure I won't be bothered by scratches etc. The glass (provided that you're not too rough with your phone) is pretty difficult to damage through normal use.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

This is why I'm planning to buy an ultraslim Sena pouch. Then I'll be able to use it naked but set it down with protection

15. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

My flatmate has done exactly this. He sets his iPhone down on top of the case.

Not for me, but this is a good option for those who want to let their iPhone go naked while avoiding too much contact with hard surfaces.

16. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I used my iPhone 4 since day one naked and the iPhone 4S. I will never use a case. I keep it in my front left pocket and cases make it hard to get out. The only thing I did was put a zagg or equiv sticker on the back and always put it back side down.

17. orange42 macrumors 6502a

But then you won't want to put the pouch on a hard/dirty surface either!?!

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nah, I don't really care about the pouch. I'm mainly concerned about it scratching the lense of the iPhone (therefore ruining it). Plus, I want a black one.

19. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Always in my case. But when I take it out, oh it's so beautiful. ;)

20. ann713 macrumors 65816

I'm going case-less for now but thinking of ordering a sleeve like the Sena leather ones.

21. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I've had all my iPhones naked starting with the 1st gen. It has a couple scratches on the back of it, not too bad at all. One dent on the side from the last day of using it I dropped it out of a Jeep and I was going to be upset if the glass broke but it didn't.

iPhone 3GS completely naked sitting on my TV stand now and has a few scratches not bad at all. One large crack though on the back in the center of the dock connector (why I hate the iPhone 3GS design, it's plastic).

iPhone 4S completely naked and is just so sexy in terms of glass. Though I want an aluminum backing on it like my 1st gen iPad and iPhone. It's fine so far. My phone goes in my left pocket, nothing else, ever. Keys go in right, wallet in back. iPad is on my back and I'm off.

I've dropped my iPhone 4S once as it fell out of my gym shorts after standing up in class. I was pissed. So be aware of that. So pajama pants, sweats and gym shorts don't have much traction (be MINDFUL of what you wear).

EDIT: I tried the Sena and it's not worth it. Sleeves are easily lost and it didn't hold together well. Was not worth the money in my opinion.

22. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Wow your very lucky.

23. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

It's things like this that made me go back to a case. Going caseless leaves you with a ton of problems.

And think about the camera lens on the back...

24. mfor1234 macrumors member

I rock it naked and for the most part put it on top of my wallet (leather) on the table, or on top of my work blackberry.

Not particularly consciously, just out of habit. I'm usually not too concerned about it getting scratched, it's meant to be used after all and I have no intention of reselling it.

I am a bit more careful about the front these days though. I scratched the screen of my 3GS about 18 months in which was a bit annoying, but not the end of the world.

25. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Naked,but I also own a Case Mate Hipster holster as well I keep in when not in use.