Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zord

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
A quote from the piece on Apple from 60 minutes:

Ive explained that zeroing in on a product's "emotional context" is a big part of Apple's development process—investing lots of time experimenting with materials, surfaces, textures, colors, shapes, to arrive at the right tactile experience. He showed the 10 prototypes for the iPhone 6 and 6s that had been made with their in-house machining tools, before landing on the two sizes that "felt right."

Seems a shame that we put cases on our iPhones when all this time is spent to make them feel right huh?

We kill them with plastic and blocky rubber cases.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
A quote from the piece on Apple from 60 minutes:

Ive explained that zeroing in on a product's "emotional context" is a big part of Apple's development process—investing lots of time experimenting with materials, surfaces, textures, colors, shapes, to arrive at the right tactile experience. He showed the 10 prototypes for the iPhone 6 and 6s that had been made with their in-house machining tools, before landing on the two sizes that "felt right."

Seems a shame that we put cases on our iPhones when all this time is spent to make them feel right huh?

We kill them with plastic and blocky rubber cases.

Don't believe everything people tell you.

Every model of the iPhone, the Htc one m7, Galaxy s6, note 5, nexus 5. All these phones have two things in common; they feel great without a case, and break if you look at them the wrong way.

A slim case and tempered glass screen protector is really all you need. I find some cases feel better than the phone itself. I use a cheap magpul case, and I love it.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Don't believe everything people tell you.

Every model of the iPhone, the Htc one m7, Galaxy s6, note 5, nexus 5. All these phones have two things in common; they feel great without a case, and break if you look at them the wrong way.

A slim case and tempered glass screen protector is really all you need. I find some cases feel better than the phone itself. I use a cheap magpul case, and I love it.
I keep mine in a straight black Incipio case. I do this mostly because I like an all black phone better than the space gray I'm stuck with. It also adds a bit of weight and bulk which I like.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
The best phones to hold were the old school candy bar ones. I loved holding my Nokia E50.
But yeah, going without a case is not an option when you have kids who want to use your phone too!

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Ive speaks in marketing tongue, designed to mesmerize the easily impressed. Words hyper focused on creating an illusion of brilliance, words used to sell phones. By using expressions many Apple devotees fail to understand, they assume whatever he means must be spectacular.

The tactile experience my 6 series iPhones provide is slippery and not conducive to being easy to use. Flat slabs front and rear, a case less iPhone is very disappointing.

Conversely without a so called "World Class Designer" Motorola has created the tactile masterpiece known as the MOTO X Pure.

My MX Pure is a phone I've been able to use without a case, safely, since day one. With its compound curves, stylish modern design, it's warm and inviting, not cold and industrial like the J.Ive slab.

If Apple built products that were as superior as Apple execs think they are, the sales volume would rise even higher.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I think the case enhances the experience. It makes it easier to hold on to a dulls the reflective screen. I also don't have to worry about getting it wet. Since for some reason they refuse to make them waterproof.

Reactions: 5105973

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Ive speaks in marketing tongue, designed to mesmerize the easily impressed. Words hyper focused on creating an illusion of brilliance, words used to sell phones. By using expressions many Apple devotees fail to understand, they assume whatever he means must be spectacular.

The tactile experience my 6 series iPhones provide is slippery and not conducive to being easy to use. Flat slabs front and rear, a case less iPhone is very disappointing.

Conversely without a so called "World Class Designer" Motorola has created the tactile masterpiece known as the MOTO X Pure.

My MX Pure is a phone I've been able to use without a case, safely, since day one. With its compound curves, stylish modern design, it's warm and inviting, not cold and industrial like the J.Ive slab.

If Apple built products that were as superior as Apple execs think they are, the sales volume would rise even higher.
Agreed.

Love my iPhone 6s Plus, and I don't plan on moving on from it until the next iPhone, possibly. But the iPhone is simply a rounded metal rectangle that is thin to a the point of near detriment. Last year it bent, and s slightly thicker phone would make for a better battery life.

I agree, moto has been producing very well designed, sturdy, ergonomic phones since the original moto x.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Vicrooloo

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2015
My thought exactly OP

Those engineers spend hundreds of hours to craft and shape the phone for the users enjoyment. It's your choice to use a case but you should respect and understand the labor that goes into these things.

Reactions: M. Gustave

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The pro-case crowd is strong in this thread it seems.

I'll just state that whatever words Jony Ive has used to describe the product is immaterial to me.

I use my iPhones without cases because I want to. Not because the guy who gave us flat white and the unicorn puke of multispectacular colour in iOS 7, 8 and 9 said something glorious about it.

I don't really take seriously the words of someone who gets his design inspiration for iOS from PlaySkool and Fisher Price.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
My thought exactly OP

Those engineers spend hundreds of hours to craft and shape the phone for the users enjoyment. It's your choice to use a case but you should respect and understand the labor that goes into these things.
I don't think people are ignorant of that fact. It's doesn't matter really though, as Apple doesn't need anyone's respect. They want see money, and we give it to them, so I'm sure they are happy with the state of things.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You case people are hysterical.
It's easier to see their side of it if you understand that a lot of them buy an iPhone because of iOS and with the intent to sell their phone for as much as they can get for it when they are done with it. From that perspective then, putting a case on it isn't an issue to them.

Not all people who use cases think like that, but there are enough of them that are vocal here on MR. For the rest, well…it's a matter of personal preference and/or practical reasons that I can more or less agree with.

Reactions: Qbnkelt

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I use a case, the thinnest I can manage and still get protection.

I work in a lab. It's a lot easier than you would image to drop a phone when your wearing latex gloves all day. The case also provides a nice barrier between caustic substances and my phone. I can stick wash my case with hot water and soap if need be. I can't do that with my phone.

A case once saved my phone from a puddle of low molarity hydrochloride acid that someone had careless spilled, while PHing a solution. I realized what it was and was able tone move the phone from the case. The phone was/is fine; but the case was slightly corroded.

Like I mentioned before I use a magpul case. The impact of the case, compared to the size of the phone without the case, is very slight. But the magpul makes the phone extremely grippy, which is nice.

Reactions: 5105973

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Well maybe if apple didn't make them so slippery and fragile people wouldn't put cases on them.

Always use clear cases anyways. I'm currently using a spigen liquid crystal case.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Had an Apple leather case on my 6s+. I was really not happy with the size of the phone. I removed the case after a couple of months and it was like I had a new phone. We tend to kill Jonny Ive, but thin is very good. I did order a skin for the back, which, I believe, will not diminish the nice tactile feel of the phone.

Reactions: dannys1

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I use the  black leather case on my iPhone 6 Plus purely for grip.

Ideally I'd like some kind of strips that adhere to either side of the phone to add grip.

Reactions: oneteam

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I just like my apple leather case because it gives more grip. It feels too slippery without. Also I have sweaty hands, so it helps there too
This. I have the Apple leather case on all of my iPhones. I'e had the 6+ for ten months now and have never dropped it. After using the phone with the Apple leather case, I knew I would get the same exact case for my 6S+ and 6S.

Best decision ever.

Reactions: Trickhot3102
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.