Cases that are similar to the Speck Pixelskin HD?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Thomasss95, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Thomasss95 macrumors regular

Thomasss95

The Pixelskin HD has been my case since I got my iPhone 5.
    I really like it, but I want to try some other cases.

What cases are slim, protective cases that don't cover the screen?

2. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I've been doing a lot of research on this myself, because I'm in a similar situation. On the day I bought my iPhone 5, I purchased an Incipio Frequency just so I'd have something to protect the phone until I found the perfect case. Months later, I'm still using it and still looking for something better.

Incipio Frequency is a slim TPU case similar to the Pixelskin, but I can't recommend it for most people, because I had to mod the case to get it to be comfortable. This involved sanding down a lot of sharp edges. The case looks great, but its a PITA out of the box.

Slim cases I'm looking at as replacement:

1) Belkin Candy Grip (comes in sheer or solid). Most people seem to recommend, but I'll have to buy online as I can't find the color I want in stores. Downside to me is that the camera cutout is too big, but that's a small gripe.

2) Spigen Neo Hybrid. TPU case reinforced with a polycarbonate bumper. It looks awesome. I'm just not sure how well the bumper will hold up over time. Polycarbonate can be brittle when in the shape of a thin ring.

3) Spigen Tough Armor. Another great looking case from Spigen. I'd buy this yesterday if it didn't have the "Otterbox" style cutout for the Apple logo. If I can get a back film that works well I still might go for this case. It's a bit thicker than most TPU cases but has a higher level of protection and looks good too.

4) Switcheasy Tones. Looks good, but the polycarbonate back seems to separate from the TPU for many people.

5) Speck Candyshell. I know a couple people who use these cases. They seem nice, and easy to keep clean because of the smooth outer shell, but this also means that the case gets scratched to all heck pretty quickly. Complaints are that the rubber above the screen begins to wear and peel easily, and that some of the thin polycarbonate areas (such as above mute switch) crack over time.

6) Lifeproof Nuud. Appears to be the only waterproof case that doesn't cover the screen. I go camping once in awhile so the waterproof aspect is very attractive. It's expensive though at $90. I may pick one up this holiday season if there's a sale.

That's where my research has taken me. Its a bit frustrating but i don't want to waste money trying lots of cases. Ultimately, I think I'll be deciding between the Tough Armor and the Lifeproof. In the meantime, my Incipio Frequency stays on.

3. kywildcats macrumors member

The Lifeproof Nuud is the best case I have ever used. I can't wait for them to release one for the 5s. I would recommend that case to anyone in any situation. FANTASTIC case.

4. Thomasss95 thread starter macrumors regular

Thomasss95

Thanks a lot guys! :)
    I will check those cases out.