Cash will not be accepted for iPad 3G; Credit/Debit card must have YOUR name on it.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iSingandiDance, Apr 29, 2010.

1. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I know we're all in anticipation for the 3G, some going so far as taking the day off and declaring it "iPad 3G" day. But I know some of you will be carrying cash tomorrow. And I don't want you to be turned away or get embarrassed because you thought you could pay for one with cash.

You can't.

No Apple Store will take cash. They will only be taking credit/debit card and your name must be explicitly stated on the card (you must also have valid ID). It can not be a gift card or a pre-paid debit card (that doesn't have your name on it).

It sucks, but you still have time to deposit that money in your account or take a friend who will purchase with their card and you pay them back, or...you get what I mean.

Bottom line: No cash.

Not sure how that will affect Apple's bottom-line. :rolleyes:

I know how it will affect twitter feeds the nation around tomorrow.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Link?

3. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

4. LameLefty macrumors member

5. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

You're suppose to call your nearest Apple Store.

I'm just giving you guys a heads up. :)

6. LameLefty macrumors member

Doesn't matter much to me. FedEx will be dropping mine off tomorrow. :)

7. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Nice.

8. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Cash

I must be missing something. I clicked on the link and sure enough, all I saw was a list of stores????

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

No cash... You don't want the terrorists to get iPads now, do you?
    Why do you hate America?

10. tuckerstevenson macrumors member

I'm very glad for this, this should keep people trying to sell em on eBay from taking all the stock. I know some people are pissed about the 2 iPad lifetime limit. But that will be dropped as soon as the overseas demand is resolved. Apple is just trying to keep people from getting ripped off while being impatient. Good riddance to loser ebayers.

11. maggie2101 macrumors member

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere of people buying an Apple gift card with the cash and then paying with that.

12. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

This is true!!

My hubby and I were in an Apple store the other day (and I already own an iPad, and his 3G is coming in the mail tomorrow), but we checked the ipads on display to see what software was loaded on them to show them off, and I noticed the sign on the table saying no cash purchase. We were both kinda surprised, but since we purchased both iPads with credit cards, we just shrugged it off.

Anywho, the OP is right. It's no cash.

13. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

You don't want the ipad thieves stealing your cash anyway.

14. PrisonerOfDoom macrumors newbie

Just called my local store and they confirmed ipad purchases are credit/debit card only, no cash.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is it legal to not allow cash?

Its legal tender no?

16. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I'm curious about the legality of this? After all cash is official US tender for this country. Yeah they have the "right" I suppose to do business how they want but not if it's considered discrimination. I could see this as being discrimination against lower income people or people that have had a past problem with credit (even debit cards) that are now able to afford some luxuries again but can't get a credit/debit card.

I for one am anti-credit and only use credit when I have to during the course of my business.... or in the case when I ordered my new MBP with a Apple employee friends and family discount so I had to order online. Other than that I pay almost 100% with cash and think it's lame that a retailer would force you to use otherwise.

I apologize if this is a bit redundant. I responded similar to another thread about this over this past weekend. After I posted I went into my local Apple store and they had no problem taking cash for an ipad...but it wasn't the new 3G ipad so perhaps they changed their policy after demand for the "regular" ipad reduced.

17. slester macrumors member

I bought my wifi one with half cash and half credit. Perhaps you can put just a little on the card and pay the rest in cash?

18. rtkane macrumors regular

rtkane

That's a common misconception about cash. Businesses aren't required to accept cash for transactions for goods and services. Someone to whom you owe a debt (a creditor), however, must accept US currency to satisfy that debt.

http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

19. Slucko macrumors member

I just called my local apple store and they apparently only implimented this a week ago. He confirmed that at least 50 % of the purchase has to be on the credit card if you choose to use an apple gift card and a credit card for the 3g iPad and the same policy is in effect on the apple store online. He recommended to either have someone else buy it for you or to wait and see if this condition is dropped in the future

20. aviationwiz macrumors regular

It is, for all debts public and private. There is no debt owed by you to Apple since you pay before receiving the item.

21. iPadlover123 macrumors member

I have called 5 apple stores 2 times each as well as the natinal help line and 99% of the time i was told that you have to pay %51 of it with credit or debit and you can pay the rest in cash....

22. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I bought my wifi iPad with 6 crispy c-notes. I fanned myself with the cash and winked at the girl who was ringing me up. ;)

23. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

There are quite a lot of things that are either "cash only" or "debit/credit only."