casing on sides of White 06 MacBook coming off in small strips

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sodiumbromide, Jan 13, 2010.

1. sodiumbromide macrumors newbie

Hello! I'm a happy Mac user and always have been. I recieved a 2006 13 in White MacBook for my birthday a couple of years ago, and it's been working really well.

One thing I've noticed since about a half a year ago is the casing coming off. It will come off on small strips around the edges. What's causing this and how can I get it fixed?

Someone told me that if you take it to the Mac store, you can have the casing fixed for free because it's a defect and that's why they moved to unibody models. Is this true? The same person also told me that they'll only fix it if it's on the side facing closest to you. If it's on the other sides with the ports and the cd player, they won't do anything about it/charge you to get it fixed?

Thanks for your time,

Lauren

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Take it to your local Apple store, talk to the Genius bar (make an appointment before hand if it's a busy store) and they should get the top case replaced for free.

Apple hasn't really publicly acknowledged this defect, but they have been pretty good about fixing computers that suffer from the issue even when they're outside of warranty.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Because it's not a defect. My MacBook (albeit from 2007) hasn't displayed this yet, nor have my friends' MacBooks (6 friends have one). My Dad's co-worker always slammed his MacBook lid and his casing cracked. Apple replaced it for free.

4. firewater macrumors regular

Had the same Macbook as you and they fix it last year for free:)

5. sodiumbromide thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, thanks guys.

@SnowLeopard: I'm very, very careful with my Mac. I don't slam the top case or throw it around. It's not like I have any money to replace it. I'll probably have this computer for another four or five years.

6. DJ FLEX macrumors newbie

I had/still have that same problem with my 13"Macbook. The tearing off for me happens on the right side of the mousepad and more pieces come off weekly. Ive already had the top panel to my macbook replaced once. I looked up their replacement parts policy as well.

1-Top panel-Replaceable
    2-Side Panels- Not under warrenty
    3-Back Panel(Where vent is)-NOT underwarrenty.

Pretty stupid if you ask me. I even had a Hard Case on the macbook and those pieces were still coming off. Like the Above member i Baby my laptop as well. I never carry it around further than the next room and have a laptop bag for a reason if i do travel anywhere further than my home.