Catholic Archbishop calls Britain 'a selfish hedonistic wasteland'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Sep 1, 2010.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Because of our enactment of equal rights for gays. And he goes on to call us a 'culture of death' because we give women rights over their bodies.

Again, why are we paying 10 to 20 million for the moral circus to come here again?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-moral-wasteland-on-equal-rights-2067112.html

2. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Aw, man! I thought, here in American, we were the epicenter of the culture of death! And you wanna talk about a "hedonistic wasteland" -- does Britain have Las Vegas??

It's just not fair. You guys had the Beatles, Monty Python and Doctor Who. Geez, you'd think you were the mother country or something...

3. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

For a second I thought this Archbishop saw the same episode of The Tudors last night as I did and was a bit pissed!

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

When are we going to tell priests and such that they are not the government? When are we going to tell them to stick to what they do well, which is help the poor and forgive people and such?

5. Queso macrumors G4

Queso calls Catholic Archbishop "a parasite and charlatan" (and I know that's just the thread title rather than the true story here).

There we go. I feel better already :)

6. supercaliber macrumors regular

Abortion is a culture of death, maybe you misunderstand the mechanics???

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Abortion is a culture now?:confused:

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The death throes of religion are wonderfully entertaining. If not incredibly protracted.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I like this comment on the Independent site. :D

10. djellison macrumors 68020

No. Abortion is a clinical procedure that for medical, social or mental reasons, some people, tragically choose to undergo.

No one wants an abortion, but there are situations where it's the least worst of the available options.

The womb of every women on earth is not under your jurisdiction.

If you wish to run your own life by theological standards... then do so. Do not attempt to impose those standards on others or judge people who do not share your theology with those same standards.

Frankly - history shows us - it is religion that is the culture of death. The catholic church has shown itself to be a culture of hiding and defending paedophilic rapists.

11. supercaliber macrumors regular

Worldwide there are over 40 million abortions a year. 400 million in the next ten? And you are defending the morals of abortion over religion?

http://www.guttmacher.org/sections/abortion.php?scope=U.S. specific

your excuses don't make any sense. abortion is a convenience and a nice way to control the population, only the smallest of percentages match your justifications.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Well no. Take us through what you see is involved in getting an abortion.

13. djellison macrumors 68020

You seem to have put a description of religion in the middle of your lies.

Have you ever met someone who's had an abortion? Someone who's been through it? Someone who's taken that choice to be 'convenient'. Ever talked to them about it?

I can tell that you have not. I have..

I don't WANT anyone to have an abortion. I've seen what it puts people through. It's probably the second most harrowing experience I've seen a human go through.

But you don't have the right to stop people having that choice. If YOUR theology says abortion is totally not allowed - then that's YOUR choice to NOT have one. You do not have the right to impose YOUR theology on the uterus of people you've never met, never will met, and know nothing about.

14. supercaliber macrumors regular

Oh i am sorry, which lie are you referring to, unless you can point out my "lies" then please follow the rules and be respectful.

15. djellison macrumors 68020

Oh the irony. If what you posted in this place wasn't such dangerous bigoted theological bile, I'd raise a chuckle.

You sates that abortion is a 'convenience'.

It is not. Clearly you've never spoken to someone who has been through it. Abortion is many many many things. A convenience, it is not.

16. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'm pretty sure most of those who decide to abort aren't doing it because they're worried about the earth becoming overpopulated?

There are people who are simply not in the position to raise and look after a child.
    There aren't enough people adopting to simply say we can pass every needy child to an adoption agency.
    The Catholic church seems to see same-sex adoption as a greater 'sin' than leaving thousands of children without a home.

The church's view on many of these issues is frankly dangerously 19th Century...

17. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Right. Much better to kill the babies.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Whoops. Abortion doesn't kill babies. You're getting mixed up with infanticide.

19. Queso macrumors G4

I view it as defending the morals of personal jurisdiction over our own bodies. Nobody likes abortion. Everybody wishes it didn't have to happen, even abortion practitioners most likely. But it should ALWAYS be the woman's right to choose. Nobody else gets a say, especially not some remote egotistical old fart in a palace paid for by the world's poor.

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Condoms are a much better way to control the population but the church won't allow that either...

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Excellent. Looks like I chose the right country then. Shame about the weather though. Could hell please send some heat this way? kthx.

22. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Nope babies are babies, in the womb or out.

23. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

They're not babies. :confused:

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Whoops you made the same mistake again! How embarrassing.

(Or perhaps it's a cynical emotive misuse of colloquial terminology)

25. supercaliber macrumors regular

As usual you have done zero research but choose to live off the insane positions of the left.

READ THIS:

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/psrh/full/3711005.pdf

Read the reasons women have an abortion. Don't make excuses just read it.

If you misunderstand the myriad of reasons women have an abortion i can help you out.

The only lie here is the one you are choosing to believe.