Catholic Charities Drops D.C. Spouses From Health Plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Mar 2, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_..._Charities_Drops_DC_Spouses_from_Health_Plan/

At least they're consistent, if not petty.

2. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Not surprising at all. It is Catholics were talking about here and were a vindictive lot especially when it comes to homosexuality.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They're probably using same sex marriage as an excuse, I expect the real reason they are doing this is to control costs.

4. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Nah - we would blow the budget to further prosecute the gay community

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Either way, it comes up nasty.

Ain't that the truth.

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

7. Shivetya macrumors 65816

One is not vindictive by holding to one's values.

8. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

There are no morales or values in persecuting people. Do you also think that Hitler was ok in sticking with his morales and values for wanting to create an all white blond hair and blue eyed race? And yes, it is, in a way, the same... It's a individual or a group that wants what they believe to be the "norm" and everything else is abnormal and should be done away with. There, I made the correlation.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

They can do what they want as long as they aren't taking public money. But they are taking public money. So they punished everyone just because they don't like a few people. That's pathetic.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

They are tax exempt, and receive property tax exemptions as well.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

In my opinion, being tax exempt is the same as taking public money.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I can live with that, but they should not be taking public money.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ex-Catholic Charities Exec Slams Benefits Call

Oh boy- just keeps getting better:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/03/05/Ex_Catholic_Charities_Exec_Slams_Benefits_Call/

14. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No one is stopping you.

16. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Good.

17. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I was happy to read that as well.

But man, the church is on a roll this week with bad decisions.

19. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I have been extremely disappointed with the US Bishops for some time now. I'm hoping once all the old bishops die and are replaced, things will change. I have a theory going that they all currently are so aligned with the Republicans because JPII just wanted fervently anti-communist bishops.

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm surprised you didn't say that they can't speak for the Church because it's only been done by the pope 10 times in 2000 years...

21. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Really? I figured you'd gotten it by now. Maybe you should actually learn about the structure of the Catholic Church before making such stupid, snide comments.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh, I get it, and I understand the mental gymnastics you are doing to avoid putting any blame on the "church." The "church" is infallible. It never does any wrong because it never does anything. It merely has teachings, and everything from the pope to the local priest is merely, well, non-binding human statements that the church is never responsible for.

(edit) and I was actually surprised because the archbiship, in the article, claimed to be speaking for the church. Maybe I read it wrong.

23. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

The Church is not responsible for them, but the individual and whoever is above that person in the hierarchy is responsible for them. And I, for one, as a Catholic, think that the archbishop is wrong in this case and I wish that the pope would say something, but that's probably not going to happen. Again, please separate the Church/Catholic Faith from the bureaucracy.

It's not mental gymnastics; I don't believe in a fallible, human-dependent church that you seem to paint the Catholic Faith as.

Yes, you read it completely wrong. Unless you want to quote the particular quote that led you to believe this, I don't see where you're getting this. The archbishop was speaking for the archdiocese. Again, separate the Church from the archdiocese. It's not that hard.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Clearly I misunderstand the relationship between the Priest / Bishop / Cardinals / Pope and the "church."

If you ask the "catholic on the street," whether their priest speaks for the church, or whether the pope speaks for the church, what would their response be?

I mean, doesn't the Priest forgive you your sins on behalf of God? But he can't he speak for the church? Curious.

(edit) By the way, I understand that my Pastor can't bind the entire church. But, when the top dogs in the Church say something, it usually means something. It surprises me that the Pope's statement's don't bind the church. That surprises me.

25. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Unfortunately, I think you're right. As a catechist myself, I'm appalled by how little most Catholics know about the Church. Heck, I've spoken with ex-Catholics who left the Church because they'd heard this thing called "papal infallibility" and couldn't accept that the pope was infallible in all things. Somehow even as a Catholic they had no idea what "papal infallibility" really means.

The clergy stands in for God in specific ways. God knows that men are fallible, and if you needed every priest to be perfect disciples of Christ, you wouldn't have very many. But no, a priest does not forgive you your sins on behalf of God. God forgives you of your sins through the vessel of the priest. The priest is not imbued with some power from God, but becomes a vessel through which God works.

It does "mean something" in that they are the public face of the Church, but it in no way binds the Church. You can be a devout Catholic and disagree completely with the pope on tons of things. The entire claimed authority of the Church is in its infallibility in terms of moral teachings, and that is all that reflects on the Catholic Faith that has existed for 2,000 years. Doctrine is never reversed or changed (but cannon law can be changed at the discretion of the clergy, but never unilaterally), although doctrine can be added.

You should also take into account that while the pope is the top figure in the Church, he is merely the first among equals. There are really only three levels of hierarchy: deacon, priest, and bishop. The pope is merely the bishop of Rome. Any other title is only an honorific (and being the head of any committee or whatever gives no ecclesiastic authority whatsoever, just the ability to influence the bureaucracy), although the pope is a bit special in his ability to invoke papal infallibility.