Catholic Charity : Let Us Discriminate!!! Charity Commission : NO!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queso macrumors G4

Under UK law it is forbidden for organisations to discriminate against people for the provision of services on the grounds of race, sex, sexual orientation etc. Catholic Care, an adoption agency unsurprisingly born out of the Catholic Church, has been battling for an exemption to this law as under it they are obligated to consider married gay couples as potential parents. This, they very noisily wail, makes baby Jesus cry or some such other rubbish.

Well, after a judge ordered the Commission that oversees UK Charities to reconsider the case the Charity Commission have done just that, but the charity has been suitably smacked down and told no exemption will be in place. The charity is now planning to stop arranging adoptions completely and take its ball home, which will obviously help the world in a big way :rolleyes:

BBC News

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Aren't they sick. They should take a step back and listen to what they're saying - they want to be allowed to discriminate. These people are some of the most sick living among us today.

There's been a whole spat of these religion/special status v discrimination in employment cases this year and every single one of them have been shot down without leave to appeal.

If there's one thing the UK is doing right, it's in these cases against the Church.

Yet, we're about to spend something between 10 to 20 million on that twisted freak from Rome to come and pay us a visit. He's lucky his an EU member because he wouldn't be getting a visa otherwise. Hope he gets booed for the duration of his stay.

If you're in London or nearby you could go to to protest on the 18th Sept
    http://www.protest-the-pope.org.uk/

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

*Sigh.* I get so weary hearing all these stories about pointless discrimination. Prop 8...this... WTF's the matter with people? :(

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let them go away. Let other people pick up what they were doing and do it right. I'm past the point of caring about people like that.

5. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

They want to be allowed to keep doing a good charity work without having to go against their beliefs.

There needs to be a line between discrimination and just being able to do what you believe in. In what way does this action from the adoption center is detrimental to the gay community? If they (gay people) want to adopt they can go to other adoption centers.

Now it happens that if catholic couples want to adopt from a catholic adoption center they won't be able, because such center aren't allowed by the government.

If people are so in favor of equal right to everyone, just let the catholic people have their own adoption center and the gay people have their own also. It would surely work much better this way.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...no. If this charity is using public funds or facilities, they can't discriminate.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They can't. The first line of the first post explains why...

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

And judicial decisions like this are one of the big reasons a lot of Americans don't want to legalize same-sex marriage. They don't want the judiciary interfering in religious organizations. For those seeking to stoke the culture wars, decisions like these are just going to be "proof" of the existence of a "gay agenda" that seeks to legislate morality.

The bigotry on both sides is astounding.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bottom line in the States:

If you use public funds you won't be able to discriminate. If you don't, no worries. You can be as bigoted as you want.

It makes sense and is fair. End of story. This is not the UK.

10. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

And what led you to believe that this charity was using public funds?

And by the way, the sooner you stop insisting that those with differing views from your own are "bigots" and instead merely have a different view of morality and what society should look like than you, the sooner you can actually start having meaningful discussions.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The sooner the religious can start acknowledging the reality that gay people are not evil and quite capable of raising children effectively, the sooner we will start having meaningful discussions.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The judiciary is not interfering with religious organizations. They're not mandating churches be requires to marry gay couples. Churches can still discriminate all they want.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually they are - as I'm sure they take gift aid on donations.

Quite, that's not how we roll.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly. Besides, they did the right thing. If they don't want to abide by the law, then close down.

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Look, I'm religious, and I know that gay people are not evil and are "quite capable" of raising children. Still doesn't mean that I want the judiciary forcing Catholic charities to go against their own personal moral beliefs.

Why do you insist on playing the culture wars game by calling people bigots and misconstruing their beliefs (or at least misconstruing the beliefs of a minority as indicative of the beliefs of a whole group of people sharing an opinion)? I really don't get it. I could call you an anti-religious bigot while you call me a homophobic bigot, and where will we get?

And where did I claim they were? :confused:

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What does same-sex marriage have to do with the judiciary interfering in religious organizations?

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Perhaps they're just scrambling to save the intolerant public image after inadvertently complying with non-discrimination laws by employing so many homosexuals?

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I know, they are just stopping organisations from discriminating against people for the provision of services on the grounds of race, sex, sexual orientation etc. ;)

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

On one side of this specific topic, there's an organisation, that for whatever reason, would like to discriminate. On the other hand, there's the law in this country that says they are unable to discriminate, that they must treat all equally and without prejudice.

As you seem on the side of those who wish to discriminate, I personally have little sympathy for your victimised and persecuted status, and wonder who really started the fire.

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Ah, I see where you're coming from. I just was pointing out that those who like to stoke the culture wars will use this as "evidence" against same sex marriage. Just pointing out another unfortunate effect of this ruling, in addition to fewer underprivileged kids being adopted.

The thing is that this organization would claim that what they're doing is not discriminatory. The government has defined the bounds of what you can and cannot discriminate on, and no dissent from that "consensus" is allowed. There's no debate or agreement to disagree.

I'm sure that other adoption agencies are allowed to "discriminate" against couples, gay or straight, that don't meet certain criteria. Gender certainly is a very grey area in which the government has come down very definitively on.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If organizations use public funds, they can't discriminate- BOTTOM LINE.

People are more than welcome to their beliefs, but they are not welcome to force them on others, or use public money to promote them, which is what we're talking about.

And I'm not misconstruing anything. I was raised with religion and know quite well what they believe and the lies they tell about people like me.

22. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

In a way you are correct, if the money they are using is from the government, then the government can decide what to do with their money. Tho, I could say that by doing this they are discriminating catholic centers, since they know these are against gay adoptions. Why not just accept the fact that there are different points of views, and fund catholic and gay centers?

Also, something tells me that even if the money was from private funding, this catholic center would still be suffering the same problems.

Then the problem lies within the law. They must be more "open" to accept some people think differently from them.

23. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Again, don't see where you see anything about public funds in the article. I would agree with you on this point. I don't see why you keep saying it as if it's a counter to what I'm saying. :confused:

So, like, the government shouldn't force their beliefs about same sex couples on charities with different beliefs?

Anecdotal evidence coming from your own personal experience is not proof that EVERYONE tells those lies. Look, hey I'm living proof of that.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Now we're changing the meaning of words.

Because it's public money.

25. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

In this particular case, they aren't forcing anyone. Only the government forcing the catholic center to do something against their beliefs, or otherwise close.

See my post above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.