Catholic church blames 1960s, sexual revolution for sex abuse

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, May 18, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They have to be joking.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-usreport-us-church-tre74h0ml-20110518,0,7594155.story

2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

They do say that:

And I think we agree homosexuality has nothing to do with child abuse? Nor all-male communities have anything to do with child abuse?

You seem to be focusing in one part of the study.

Which, in my opinion, is good. Let's see if they keep their promises. But, for what I read here, I really don't see why it is so bad what they say in the study. They are clearly not saying it was only the 60's and 70's revolution that provoked all this mess.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

When under stress, sexually abuse children. Yep, that's the ticket. :rolleyes:

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

What's the excuse for covering the abuse up then? Rock n' Roll? Dick Cavett? Something random?

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Agree

Agree, the offending priests were pedophiles.

As sexual abuse likely occurred before the 60's and 70's, and occurs in cultures that did not undergo the same social revolution that occurred in the U.S., the "blame society" argument falls flat.

And that the church did its bet to cover up the scandal and protect perpetrators...this is unforgivable.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Huh? I'm not focusing on anything. I posted an entire article. The focus is the Church now trying to blame the 60's. I don't know where you get the impression I'm focusing on anything other than that.

7. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Your title: Catholic church blames 1960s, sexual revolution for sex abuse

When in the text you quoted clearly says:

They put the cause as the priests being poorly prepared and monitored. And to that, they judge that being amid (surrounded, in the middle) the 60's ended in all the children abuse.

But if Im reading right, they clearly state the cause is the poorly prepared priests, not the 60's.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Dude, I posted an article with it's title from the source. I am NOT focusing on anything. If you have a problem with that, write the Tribune.

www.chicagotribune.com

Attached Files:

9. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:

Bishops cite '60s turmoil in sex abuse scandal = Catholic church blames 1960s, sexual revolution for sex abuse

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

See above, please.

Now, would you like to discuss the issue, or continue with your BS? It's up to you.

11. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Dude, it was obviously a misunderstanding. No need to take it personal.

BTW, I did posted what I think of the topic. I think it's good they are trying to find a solution, and let's hope they keep up their promises.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No problem, but I fail to see how they will ever fix this problem when they keep trying to blame outside influences. Until they take absolute and full responsibility, this won't get better.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What era hasn't seen it's share of social turmoil?

Putting any blame for priest's actions on the social climate that occurred 40-50 years ago is a desperate stretch and easily refuted.

I'm sure many, many priests involved in this scandal were ordained after the morality twisting 60s and 70s.

14. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I agree. It is out of place trying to put what happens outside the Church to justify in certain way what happens inside it.

My point was that, from what little the article cites from the actual study, it seems they are not trying to justify the children abuse with the 60's, just putting it as an aggravate to the already deteriorated structure of the church, which was the real cause of the problems.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

OK, but since when was molesting children part of the sexual revolution? Their claim makes absolutely no sense.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

But that is what they do. The struggle to be a good person is an endless battle with the Prince of Darkness, Bringer of Light. If the priests did bad things, it was not their fault, the devil made them do it.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I couldn't agree more, and very well said.

18. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1566826/C-of-E-child-abuse-was-ignored-for-decades.html

http://www.abpnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1753

19. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2007/06/18/80877.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/24/opinion/main1933687.shtml

eeyup

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

TL;DR

What exactly is your point? The Catholic Church isn't the only religious institution that has covered up sexual abuse? That organized religion continues to be hypocritical is old news.

21. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Read the last article, while teachers are 100x as likely to abuse a student as a priest it is reported 1/500x meaning the teacher abuse is way under reported.

22. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

However, the teacher unions don't have books containing rules on how to keep it under wraps.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Exactly. Obviously nobody is denying that Priests aren't the only ones in a position of authority that are abusing children.

But the Catholic Church, for years, covered for these Priests and put them in a position where they could continue their abuse. And people, like CaoCao continue to use religion as a justification for discrimination. The reason the Catholic Church has gotten so much negative press over this issue is because the hypocrisy is astounding.

They need to clean their own house before telling people what should be done in theirs.

24. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

There has not been an organized coverup, the media is going after things like the Vatican dropping the case of a priest in Milwaukee because the guy was dying, it was reported to the police, statute of limitations and there was insufficient evidence, yeah what a coverup

25. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Denial and Hypocrisy. A winning combination.