Catholic Church Converts to Islam, almost

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Black Belt, Aug 15, 2007.

1. calculus Guest

calculus

Well, I don't think it matters what you call your imaginary friend...

2. Black Belt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

It's the principle. You gonna let a bully make you call your imaginary friend something you don't wanna? No you're gonna tell him to step off and stick it. Freedom baby.

3. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I really don't think it is appropriate to say comments like this about people's religious beliefs.

EDIT: I agree with Black Belt it is the principle. Allah does mean God in Arabic but the Islamic faith and Christian faith are not the same. If I were a Muslim I would be offended if a Catholic or Christian started referring to their God by the same name I called mine. It is the principle of the fact.

There is no need for personal attacks anywhere, not on the Internet, not over the phone, neither in person. Please refrain from using these types of comments.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

No one is attempting to bully the Catholic Church into this – it's a Catholic bishop making the suggestion. As the article you linked to notes;

A Muslim spokesman, for Amsterdam's union of Moroccan mosques, said Muslims had not asked for such a gesture from Christians, the AP reported.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Why is it inappropriate to say that "God" is imaginary? Can calculus not say what s/he thinks? I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I'm fine if you say he is made up...

6. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Then they should have worded their post like this:

"Well, I don't care what you call him I think he is imaginary."

His original post sounded inflammatory and posted just for the sake of being controversial. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some things are best left unsaid when they infringe on the rights of others (that is the right to worship freely without persecution).

We could have a mature discussion about this, or we could just make a bunch of posts designed to make the other side more and more upset with us.

7. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

The priest is a moron! Why is it that "we" always have to placate the muslims for goodness sake? Coming from a country where we aren't even allowed to look twice at a muslim without being labelled a racist I think it's high time people get a grip. Allah may well be an arabic term for God, but for centuries it has generally been accepted as a muslim one.

At the risk of being labelled a racist, I personally find this priest's comment offensive as I suspect a muslim would had one of their priests made a suggestion to refer to Allah as God to placate the catholics.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What's the difference? It's still the god of Abraham.

9. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

The problem with your example is that it is highly unlikely that you believe in the so-called Flying Spaghetti Monster. Not that I have any right to suggest you don't, but the issue is that when people genuinely believe in a god, who is central to their lives, then much more offense can be taken by 'careless' comments. Sure, people can say what they want in here, but it's just about being nice more than anything else.

10. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

The difference is Christianity was founded over the peaceful teachings of a person (Jesus) as opposed to the Muslim faith which was spread by war by it's founder (Muhammad).

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Could you expand on this? I'm interested as an australian what you think you've always had to do to placate muslims?

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Oh, do you mean the war when the Christians were raping the Arab world looking for trinkets such as the holy grail?

13. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Middle Eastern Christians call God "Allah" because they speak Arabic and "Allah" is Arabic for God.

All Muslims call God "Allah" because they must learn Arabic to read/hear the Koran.

For this priest to have his parishnoners call God "Allah" is just plain stupid. If he is going to have them do this, he might as well start conducting services in Arabic...

14. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Oooooh.... harsh.... but fair....

Although in truth, I seem to recall that both members of each respective religion suffered persecution initially - you know, being fed to lions etc. It was when the heads of state decided to take on the leadership of the religions themselves that people were called to war in the name of 'religion' - when in fact it was just a landgrab, etc.

15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Are you talking about The Crusades? Seems to me that was 1000+ years after Christ was gone... Muhammad was still around when Islam was being spread by force.

In any case, I think the whole argument is ridiculous. I'm getting sick of intolerant people on both sides of the issue. Certain Muslims and Christians need to allow other people their beliefs peacefully. That doesn't mean they need to give up their own beliefs. "God" is the English word for god, "allah" is the Arabic word for god. How about letting people use whatever word they want to use... I'm not about to start speaking Arabic to appease Muslims any more than I'm going to start speaking Chinese to appease (hypothetical) Chinese people who are offended by my beliefs.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It was quite a bit later but I wanted to remind him how peaceful a religion Christianity is and was.

17. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I see what you're getting at, but he was talking about the founders of the religions. I'm a Christian myself and at least strive to be peaceful and promote peace, but I see a lot of the opposite from other "Christians" despite what Christ taught. I like this bumper sticker:

"The Christian Right is neither."

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The very fact that you claim that Calculus' post was insulting is an insult to everyone who does not believe in "your" god. You imply by your belief that "your" god is real, complete with all his imaginary attributes of omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence, singularity and patriarchal characteristics. This belief itself denies the possibility that there is no god, or any other god, gods or goddesses. What an insult!

19. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

You may have a point for the past tense (I'm not here to debate historical events), but I fail to see how that extends into the present tense.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ask any Muslim about Crusader George.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's a good bumper sticker.

I seriously don't see Abraham's son Ismael being any different than the rest of the sons in passing along their religious beliefs but who else was there helping the religion along?

I know that a lot of people have been killed in the name of the god of Abraham, regardless.

I don't see how Bern's outcry has anything to do with the present tense, either and I was just making a countering statement.

22. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Well, while I think that your post is a little bit strange, I'll agree that beliefs (and non-beliefs) are intrinsically insulting. One religion or non-religion believes something and another believes something else. More often than not, those beliefs conflict with each other. What this means is that if you're easily insulted by what people believe (which is what you're saying you're offended by), rather than what people say to each other (which is what the person you were responding to was offended by), then you will be in a permanent state of offense. Make sense? :eek:

If you are easily offended by what others believe, then world peace will never be achievable. If you can tolerate others' beliefs, and not say bad things to each other about what they believe, then world peace could be achieved. That's ignoring all other factors like oil territory grabs, arms smuggling etc. We'll save that for another thread...

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There is no proof that ever happened, nada, nothing whatsoever, at all...

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If your belief includes the presumption that everyone who does not share it or act according to its precepts is either ignorant, sinful, damned or all three, there is little chance of progress, let alone world peace - whatever that is.