Catholic Church still stuck in dark ages - fires bishop who supports ordaining women

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, May 3, 2011.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42878448/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Let me see if I got this straight: Molest a boy, and you'll be protected by the Catholic church and be moved around to avoid prosecution. Merely suggest that the Church should ordain women as priests, and you get fired. Sounds like they've got their priorities straight :rolleyes:

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Did you really expect that much more out of them?

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Well, you have to give them credit. The Methodists started doing it and their orders are crumbling around them. Oh wait, they aren't? Well, at least they have celibacy. Denominations that gave that up are in shambles, right?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Way to go Pope I Hide Kid Touchers and make saints out of others who hid it.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It would be nice if I could accuse you of trolling for saying that.

Its even sadder that the Vatican is often capable of being very grown up:

It'd be nice if they could be like that all the time.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

At what point will Catholics take a stand and walk away? What exactly will it take?

But I guess if rampant pedophilia won't do it, what will?

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Nothing will, only time. The days of organized religion are numbered.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That is what I'd expect from an antiquated male dominated organization intent on holding power in the "right" hands.

9. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

yes please, yes.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well what can we all expect from people whose thinking matches their taste in clothing?

[​IMG]

11. Mousse, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Bishop Morris didn't support ordaining women, he merely suggested it as a possibility to fix the priest shortage problem. It not like he gavelled a podium with his shoe, extorting his idea as the wave of the future.

This isn't the first time I've heard about a spiritual leader removed from his post because a few @--holes complained about him. It won't be the last. St Dominic Guzman (patron saint of the falsely accused) is probably gyrating in his grave. Someday my great great grandkids will read about Saint William Morris, the new patron saint of falsely accused people.

12. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Doctrine first, human well-being later, much later. That should be the Catholic church's motto.

13. Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

But what if human wellbeing depends on what doctrines human believe? What if the fired(?) priest lied about why the Pope fired him? Maybe the Holy Father fired(?) the priest for sexual misconduct.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That principle has already been debunked in the case of prayer.

In that case it should have been made public. Why should priests be protected more than others?

15. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Because walking away won't solve anything?

You can't just walk away from what you believe (religion/god/etc) because of the bad administration of the church.

Besides, in majority Catholics are just as good persons as you or the rest of the atheist/other religions are. Even among the priests, most of them are good people.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Catholics do not have to walk away from their beliefs, but they most certainly do not have to support the organization.

17. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

The problem is that this organization/institution, is part of their Catholic beliefs. Catholics believe that the church is the one founded by Christ.

They shouldn't support priests that abuse children, I agree. But, you do see my point in that it isn't just as easy as saying "I'll leave the Church and stop supporting them"?

Catholics shouldn't support or take part in all the problems of children abuse, or in discriminating certain minorities. But my point is, the part of the church that does these things, is very small in comparison with the part that usually are good people.

As for the female priests, people might see it as an archaic practice. But you can't really complain about it, it's their club, it's their rules.

18. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Im not overly religious, and am actually very critical of the Catholic Church at times, but this a valid point. The guy broke the rules. If you want a female priest join another church or wait until female priests are allowed by the Catholic Church.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the supply of people wanting to be a priest too low in the forseeable future, especially in many european countries, that this current position of the catholic church won't exist forever

here in austria (with catholics being 70+%) unless you are living in a bigger/important town, chances are quite high to have a polish priest speaking in broken german

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/9136

While one may note that alternate activities such as meditation can produce the same results, it should be noted that the incidence of people who would practice one of these methods necessarily when their belief system does not favor the other is nowhere near 100%.

21. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

22. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

The Catholic church is stuck in the dark ages (agreed). Yet they are in the whole in support of the concept of darwinistic evolution.

If these evolutionists are in the dark ages, what does that make someone who is a new-earth creationist?

23. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Give them time. It took them a couple of hundred years to "forgive" Galileo for telling the truth.

24. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I swear these historically incompetent people are everywhere

25. Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

I don't understand. Please give us an example.

Good point, I think.