Catholic College Fires Gay Teacher

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Moyank24, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The Catholic Church strikes again...

Apparently the students are really upset, so I'm interested to see what, if any, impact that will have.

Full article
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20110227_Catholic_college_fires_gay_teacher.html?page=1&c=y

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

assume what the guy says is true it looks like he has some pretty strong grounds for a wrongful termination law suit.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Normally, I would say they could fire the guy, but this is just not right. It seems someone was misled and it was not the college. Either way, the church will eventually come to realize just how misguided they are, or not- and go the way of the dinosaur. Either option is fine with me.

4. Bill McEnaney, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

Does he feel same-sex attractions or doesn't he? The reporter says that the priest is "gay." The article tells me that the priest denied both accusations. If he denied both accusations, he denied that he was gay.

The reporter or the college goofed. Being "gay" isn't contrary to Catholic teachings. Living a "gay lifestyle" is contrary to them.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What is a "gay lifestyle" exactly? We get up, take a shower, brush our teeth, go to work and come home to our families just like anyone else.

6. Bill McEnaney, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

A same-sex attracted person is living a "gay lifestyle" when he or she dates people of the same sex, "marries" people of the same sex, has same-sex sex, or does any combination of these things. I think that if same-sex attracted people are going to live together, they need to do that as though they were siblings, not as sex partners. In my opinion, they should have purely platonic, nonsexual relationships with one another.

Heterosexual couples need to reserve sex for opposite-sex monogamous marriage. If I had a girlfriend, I might kiss her. But I wouldn't do that to deliberately arouse either of us. If either of us felt tempted to have sex with each other, the kissing would stop right away. I know of a woman who gave an excellent answer when men asked her why saved sex for marriage. She said, "I"m worth waiting for." She lived by her Catholic convictions, and she wouldn't risk letting any man use her as a mere object, as a mere tool.

Some may say, "I have sex with my girlfriend to show her that I love her." If I had a girlfriend, I would hope I would love her enough to protect her from the physical and psychological risks that come with non-marital sex. The best way for me to do that is for my hypothetical girlfriend and me to be celibate before marriage.

Sacramentally same-sex "marriage" isn't marriage. Neither is merely civil marriage of any sort. If I understand what the Catholic Church's teachings about marriage merely civil, it teaches non-sacramental marriage, whether same-sex or opposite-sex, is legal fornication.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why do you care what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home?

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It's life Captain but not as we know it.:confused:

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What I do is none of your damn business. And your opinion has no bearing on my life. Why you feel the need to tell others what to do is beyond me. Take care of your own house, let me take care of mine.

10. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Obviously most people, including Catholics, aren't able to adhere to this ideal. So are they not allowed to be married? Obviously not. And I know Catholics who have divorced and remarried. That's equally abhorrent. Yet they're allowed to do this.

11. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Excellent post.

Yes, sex in merely civil marriage is fornication

12. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Wow. I have never, ever in my life been so tempted to troll a MacRumors thread, nor have I ever been so infuriated by the use of a set of double quotation marks.

Gay marriage is not "marriage." Gay marriage is marriage.
    Gay people are not "gay." They are gay.

So a few things:

1) Deal with it.
    2) Gays are going to keep on getting married. Whether that means that they have to leave your ass-backwards country to come to a real civilization to do so, or write their own damn marriage contract and hire a rational person to perform the ceremony, they will.
    3) As Lee said, what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes (hell, anywhere, in fact) is their own damn business.
    4) The claim by Bill McEnaney that gay people living together "should have purely platonic, nonsexual relationships with one another" is outrageous. (NB that this person had just said they must live "as siblings" which is weird, given that platonic love is only reservation from physical romance, not emotional romance...)
    5) If you are going to pull the "protect the sanctity of marriage" card on me, think very hard about the institutions of divorce and annulment.
    6) Many people (and many of the small number who claim to anyway) do not share your beliefs. Catholics have sex. In and out of marriage. *See Point One.*
    7) Please try to be just a smidgen more cultured in your attitudes, and a little less abrasive in sharing them. Though I try to reserve judgment, I am currently not alone in thinking that you are completely insane just by your posts in this thread.

I feel better now. :)

13. Moyank24 thread starter macrumors 601

Moyank24

A) Maybe your feelings on the situation would be different if you actually had a girlfriend.

B) I'm interested to learn what exactly the physical and psychological risks of non-marital sex are?

You're kidding. Right?

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, I have nothing to say, but that the University has grounds for dismissal if difference of opinion arises.

True, you can argue the gay card, but in this case, they college played the rights cards to get rid of him. Was it the best choice? No.

Still, it's the college's right on who teaches or not; and seeing how it's a Catholic Church college, I'd say it was bound to happen.

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

You can pretend that particular fornication sessions are sacred because some guy wearing a white collar said so.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

According to the school's website, he was not fired as the OP's article suggests. Rather, his contract was not renewed. AFAIK, adjunct instructors do not enjoy the same privileges as tenured professors. If his contract ran out and was simply not renewed, then that's that, unless it can be argued that the college has some legal obligation to offer a new contract.

17. iGary Guest

iGary

Whatever crutch gets you through life.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As long as he doesn't put that crutch under my feet to trip me, I don't care either.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, it's called "living a human lifestyle".

Why should your hang-ups be of any relevance to anybody else? Perhaps you need to deal with your own perceptions instead of relying on some dusty tome to tell you what to think. You know that Plato was a repressed homosexual, don't you? He spent hours at the gymnasium ogling naked young men, and perhaps like S/Paul, spent a lot of effort telling other people how to love to expiate his guilty feelings.

You are extraordinarily keen to prescribe what other people should do. What's it got to do with you?

You sound like a real catch, but hey, what you choose to do is up to you.

So, you assert that a married non-Christian couple can do nothing but fornicate? What an appallingly demeaning attitude! Do you regard any couple you meet as probable fornicators by default? Do you question them about whether they use birth control, or whether they were married, and if so whether it was in a Catholic church with the proper sacraments? You clearly swallow Catholic dogma hook, line and sinker, so choosing righteous friends must be a real PITA.

20. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Lee, I agree with you about what you say, but he clearly did say that this was only his opinion. People are allowed that, even if it is hateful and exclusionist.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Where did I say he could not have an opinion? All I said was that his opinion should have no bearing on my life.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sure, but if they are going to air their opinions, they should also be able to back their opinions up with something better than hearsay.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Agreed, but when you air your opinions in public, others have the right to challenge them.

24. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I acknowledge that I misspoke. Opinions like this should be checked. Carry on.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Got me on "ignore", have you? :p