Catholic leaders fear discrimination against them while discriminating themselves

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Sep 27, 2011.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Oh the irony:

Funny how they worry about discrimination when it might be directed at them but have no concerns about dishing it out to others on a regular basis. How hypocritical. This would fall under "what goes around comes around".

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-09-23/gay-marriage-bishop/50528104/1

2. Moyank24, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I don't know why it does anymore, but the hypocrisy of the Catholic Church continues to amaze me.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Lol. The catholic church preaching morality. This coming from the religion whose leader went to africa and told the people not to use condoms because they won't prevent aids. We have no idea how many people are dead today because of the pope's lies, and they're preaching morality? They should be disgusted with themselves. Dirty lying SOB's

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Sounds like a "middle management" problem...

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There is no rational argument against gay couples raising kids. The research is out there and we do just as well. Funny thing is that most Christians and Catholics are fine with it. It's their church being the douchebags. The church is free to say whatever they want. They are not free to use tax payer dollars to enforce their views though.

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's because most christians and catholics don't actually believe in their religion and just call themselves christians because they were born into it. Their church leaders actually believe in the religion.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- their leaders believe in power. They have no clue as to what Jesus stood for.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah, try telling that to them. Because apparently they feel they have the authority to speak for jesus, which im sure the big J would not appreciate. Also, i think if jesus were alive today he would be a liberal protestant....or a jew.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They may choose to wrap themselves in the Shroud of Turin, but what they call "discrimination" against them, I call "enlightenment".

10. Shrink, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thus has it always been.

Anything or anyone challenging the church's power is condemned as against god's will.

The church has resorted to any means - no matter how cruel and evil - based on the notion that the ends justify the means. And for the church, the end is always the maintenance of the church's power over the "the simple" ( a phrase that a priest I knew told me was how the church referred to their "flock"). The first and primary purpose of the church (and other religious institutions) is to exist. ANY means are justified by that end; e.g. the Inquisition.

But, I continue to defend people's right to believe what they will - whatever gets you through the night. Just don't attempt to impose those beliefs on me - that I will fight with all ethical means at my disposal.

Edit: I just noticed that this is my 666th post. Figures - I guess I am the anti-christ. :eek:

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"The"?

No. There are many of us here, and you know full well it's anti-church, not anti-Christ. :(

Just anal, for checking your post count. ;)

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This is a VERY human characteristic. However, you'd think the (supposedly) more learned of us, would recognize the trait and try to rise above being a hypocrite. Very few if any religious organizations rise to the challenge. :)

13. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm really not surprised. The Catholic Church seems to be years behind the rest of civilised society, including many of their own followers.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

How a about a couple of thousand years behind...:(

15. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

At least it's consistent
    :rolleyes:
    Err, the Inquisition was not that bad, actually the rules were reasonably fair.

16. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I'm sorry, whatnow?

17. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

I think that CaoCao will need some time to catch up with the PRSI, it seems that he's been away for around four weeks.

Did you have a nice time CaoCao?
    KGB:rolleyes:

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Is that squeaking wheel back?? <looks for grease-gun>

19. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

See The Myth of the Spanish Inquisition, it's a BBC documentary.

Important points from that documentary, yes torture could be used, but never more than once, never more than 15 minutes and of course a doctor had to be present and f he said to stop then it was over and they could never use it again

Honestly, torture under Torquemada was no worse than that used by 1930's American police.
    Why yes, I have enjoyed myself immensely, fallen in love, getting good grades and other boring stuff

20. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Sounds perfectly civilised then. How very kind of the Church to cap the amount of torture they inflicted.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hah. We also specifically forbid you from killing anyone more than once.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Spanish Inquisition;

And in Spanish controlled territory;

oh well, as long they only tortured them once before they burned them, who can complain? :rolleyes:

23. Peterkro, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Really,having been to the big exhibition of torture implements from the Inquisitions in Spain I can tell you they used instruments most people wouldn't have the twisted imagination to dream up.Suffice to say one method,illustrated by woodcuts of the time,involved hanging a person by the feet then sawing from the groin to the chest,the victim would survive in agony for some time as the inversion prevented blood escaping too quickly and ensured the brain and heart didn't stop functioning for some time.The gynaecological instruments you would not believe.

Attached Files:

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bottom line- if religions want to discriminate- they have to do it with their own money, not tax dollars.

25. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

And where were you planning on putting the nipple? Hope I got the terminology right.
    KGB:rolleyes: