"Catholic Warrior" displays freedom of religion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dec., Dec 30, 2014.

1. dec. Suspended

dec.

I found this pretty amusing and interesting...

> http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/12...arrior-damaged-satanic-display/2601419432415/

1) It's pretty cool that states finally acknowledge and execute the equality of all "religions" (even though I stay away from all of them, I don't understand the concept or need of "atheism"/"theism").

2) Her "Catholic Warrior" shirt is cute (that was sarcasm). It appears that she's up for a fight and she definitely was ready to destroy the property of others just because she thought that her "god" wanted her to do that. It does not appear to be very tolerant or accepting towards the believers of that certain "religion".

There were some comments about the "Satanic" display simply have been put up to provoke, but even then, I find it should be treated with the similar respect as all other "religious" displays, as there is a philosophy and meaning behind it.

(3. Sorry Steve Knight :) ).

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

I stopped reading when they said that the Satanic Temple has a holiday display. :D

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Would have been more interesting if "temple" had effigies and depictions of Muhammed.

4. dec. thread starter Suspended

dec.

Or a black angel... oh wait.

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm sad to hear this Oklahoma display has been put "on hold." I was looking forward to the 1st Amendment hypocrites explanation why it should't be permitted.

Attached Files:

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

On the one hand, I think displays like that are kind of needlessly provocative; however, as an atheist, my very existence is provokes the believers.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What a disappointment. That is one badass sculpture.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Provocative, yes. Needlessly? That's a matter of opinion. Sometimes people need to be provoked to get them thinking.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Except, in this case, provoking them does not result in thought processes that occur anywhere outside the alimentary canal.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Free speech does not require that thought process occurs.

And so many other instances of free speech seem devoid of thought provoking content.

So your requirement for it, in this case, seems arbitrary and unfair.

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

Why only in this case?
    I think free speech has no requirements. That's why it's called free.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

In this case because that's the case that Sydde was referring to.

Apparently my statement wasn't clear, because I had intended to convey a similar message to the one you just posted.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

I see. I agree. Free speech for all! :)

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Because this is Florida, the case against the catholic warrior has been dropped by the prosecutors, citing "lack of evidence". You know, despite the video, eyewitness statements from security guards, and her own admission. I'm sure it would have went down the same way if an Atheist disassembled a nativity scene.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well you know god removed all the evidence don't you know?

17. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Florida's legal system is a national joke. And this just further enshrines that legacy.

----------

Her and George Zimmerman should get together for neighborhood watch duty and be worthless together.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

thats a good one. could not be worse.

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

What is being reported on is an ideologically driven battle of inanimate objects on display in and around government. Interesting that the display featuring flames was designed to be inflammatory; that tells you something about AU, who threatened to sue if their flame-bait wasn't erected. The tee shirt lady was a nut that fell right into the intentionally provocative public spider web that is the AU creation. Score one for the provocateurs.

20. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

LOL. It figures you would see it that way. Anyone who erects a non-Christian display is being "provocative", it must be such a burden on Chrisians to have to tolerate other people. :rolleyes:

It tells you more about Christians than it tells you about The satanic temple. Actually, this woman just demonstrated why they must continue doing what they're doing. This is a great lesson on Christian tolerance, something which many Christians apparently need to be schooled on. Unfortunately, many Christians definition of tolerance means "either you agree with us or you're intolerant and persecuting us". Just like this nut job's lawyer who claimed the state's lawsuit was an "attack on Christians". It seems that now that American culture is changing and Christians are no longer dominating our law and popular culture, they're starting to develop a victim complex. They really should pray for a solution instead of committing crimes.

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

Pleased to provide a laugh through that prism by which you view things. What might be interesting is seeing a list of backers for the entity that has to sue their creative provocation into a public spot. This is purpose-built art backed by a strident well-funded organization with a massive bone to pick.

22. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They wouldn't have had to sue if Florida recognized their first amendment rights to begin with. It's entertaining to me to watch you bend over backwards and do mental gymnastics to imply that the first amendment should only apply to Christians. The fact the satanic temple even had to sue to get their display up just proves they have a very good reason to have a bone to pick. But again, that's that Christian tolerance coming up again.

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

My first entry on this topic is what I'm sticking with. Well crafted, clear, and solid reasoning. The backers intend on poking sticks where they may as the activists they are. At least Piss Christ was a statement by an individual with something to say. As was the dung Madonna. But these other guys are a well-oiled machine out to snag attention, to which that nut case lady went for. Cheshire cats are grinning.

24. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

The crazy christian lady looks just like my Nan did about 10 years ago (except for the t-shirt)!

25. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Your reasoning was questionable at best.