Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Rumor has it that Cathy, the star of the comic strip by Cathy Guisewite, will receive a marriage proposal on Valentine's Day from her sometimes boyfriend Irving.

Could it be? If so, will she accept? Forget MacRumors, hello CathyRumors!

link

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
"Cathy" isn't carried by the Boston Globe.
This is Valentine's Day, so I hope that she will find happiness.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The rumor was true. After 27 years of fruitless dating, Cathy has accepted a marriage proposal. Awwwwww, isn't that cute?

ca040214.gif

You can always see recent Cathy strips at this ucomics.com page.

The comic strip "Blondie" had a seismic shift of its own in recent years, since Blondie started her own business after being "only a housewife" for decades before. Congratulations to Cathy the character and to Cathy the cartoonist for this big change.

I notice something inadvertently funny about seeing the page online today. Click on the link above to see what I mean. The page has previous date and next date links at the top right of the strip. When you look at the current day's strip, in this case the marriage proposal on Valentine's Day, there is no later strip so you see no next date instead. But there's another meaning: Cathy has been on countless "previous dates" over the years but with her upcoming marriage she has "no next date" to worry about!

Attachments

• cathydate.png
    cathydate.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 557

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Reminder to all: Today is not only Valentine's Day. It is also National Donor Day, a day when everyone is encouraged to fill out a organ and tissue donation card (pdf file), to let your family know your wishes about organ donation, to join the National Marrow Donor Program registry, and to donate blood and platelets. I did all four. You can too!

More information can be found here.

Don't be afraid to read about these options. Rather than being a morbid subject, learning about the chances to save lives can be heartwarming.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Sadly it seems that Americans are not really aware of organ donation unless they are personally affected. It is a very hard decision for the family to make. You are correct Doctor Q, it makes it much easier if a person has a donor card and make sure that their family are aware of their desire to donate.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Speaking of comic strips, did anyone see this Sunday's Blondie, in which Dagwood's office computer is clearly either a Power Mac G4 or a B/W G3?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by JeffTL
Speaking of comic strips, did anyone see this Sunday's Blondie, in which Dagwood's office computer is clearly either a Power Mac G4 or a B/W G3?

Sadly we don't get "Blondie" in the Boston Globe. Do you happen to have a link to it online?

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by wdlove
Sadly we don't get "Blondie" in the Boston Globe. Do you happen to have a link to it online?

I don't think it's online yet. But on the edge of one frame you could see the outline of his computer -- it had the curves, the handles, the button or speaker depending on what computer it was, and maybe the drives. Clearly a Power Mac.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I already looked, and didn't find Blondie online. So I scanned the comic in question. Here is the computer Blondie's husband, Dagwood Bumstead, is using in yesterday's strip:

Attachments

• blondie.jpg
    blondie.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 290

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by Doctor Q
For comparison, a PowerMac G3:

blueg3.gif

Thank you for taking the time Doctor Q. I was trying to imagine that it was my own G4 Graphite. It sort of ahs a blue appearance. That was my projecting my wishes.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Let's steer this thread into a new direction, while we wait for Cathy to get married. What comic strips does/do the major newspaper(s) in your city run on Sundays?

Los Angeles Times:

Baby Blues
Ballard Street
Blondie
The Boondocks
Cathy
Classic Peanuts
La Cucaracha
Dilbert
Doonesbury
Drabble
For Better or For Worse
FoxTrot
Frazz
Garfield
Get Fuzzy
Heathcliff
Herman
In the Bleachers
Jump Start
Marmaduke
Momma
Mutts
9 Chickweed Lane
Non Sequitur
Opus
Rex Morgan M.D.
Wizard of Id
Zits

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Boston Globe

Adam @ Home
Arlo & Janis
Ask Shagg
The Boondocks
Curtis
Dilbert
Doonesbury
The Family Circus
For Better or For Worse
FoxTrot
Garfield
Get Fuzz
Jump Start
Monty
Mother Goose Grimm
Non Sequitur
Opus
Rose Is Rose
Stone Soup
Zippy
Zits

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Another old thread pops out of the dustbin!

All fans of the daily Cathy comic strip should prepare to celebrate soon. Cathy and Irving will be getting married on Valentine's day, a year after they got engaged (the reason for this thread last year).

Of course, these are just characters in a comic strip, not real people, but weddings are happy occasions whether they are real or not, so I'll go along with the party.

Happy soon-to-be-Valentines Day to all of you too!

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Doctor Q said:
All fans of the daily Cathy comic strip should prepare to celebrate soon. Cathy and Irving will be getting married on Valentine's day, a year after they got engaged (the reason for this thread last year).

Of course, these are just characters in a comic strip, not real people, but weddings are happy occasions whether they are real or not, so I'll go along with the party.

Happy soon-to-be-Valentines Day to all of you too!
You and your memory! hahaha

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
jackieonasses said:
You and your memory! hahaha
My memory wasn't THAT good. I searched for the word "wedding" in the title of a Community Discussion thread, not remembering it was in Current Events and used the word "married" instead. :rolleyes:

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Doctor Q said:
My memory wasn't THAT good. I searched for the word "wedding" in the title of a Community Discussion thread, not remembering it was in Current Events and used the word "married" instead. :rolleyes:
The reason why i said that was like 2 weeks ago - you brought up the MacRumors Couple. (i forgot there names) you did that 2 years in a row...

kyle

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Thank you for the memories Doctor Q. Our member with a good memory. Good luck to Cathy with her up coming nuptials. Is anyone going to send candy or flowers?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Sorry to spread misinformation the other day. I turned to my February calendar and discovered that the wedding day in the comic strip will be this coming Saturday, February 5, not the 14th as I thought. Sorry.

Of course, the actual wedding ceremony might take several days worth of strips. We'll see.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
I'm shocked that that comic is still running. For some reason I'm not entertained by a character who's a whiny, neurotic woman desperate to get a man.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
aloofman said:
I'm shocked that that comic is still running. For some reason I'm not entertained by a character who's a whiny, neurotic woman desperate to get a man.
Maybe that's why the strip is changing. Now Cathy can be a married woman who is neurotic about everything else.

Plenty of comic strips are about ordinary people dealing, with limited success, with everyday frustrations. Many strips stay the same from year to year, adding new characters now and then but leaving the core characters as they are, but some strips let the characters grow over time; I think Gasoline Alley was one of the first strips to have the characters age in realtime.

It seems that unmarried comic strip characters are usually hapless at romance, from Charlie Brown in Peanuts to Norman in Drabble. Once they get married, they usually stay married and put up with the 1000 annoying habits of their spouse. Unless it's a soap opera like Mary Worth!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.