Cats and Dogs on Vegan Diet!?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Leareth, May 12, 2009.

1. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I just read an article on people feeding dogs and cats a vegan diet. :eek::confused::eek:

While Ok i can see cases where a dog might not be able to deal with an animal protein based diet.

I just don't see vegan cat working too well. they are kind of required to be carnivores.

If you don't want pet to eat meat don't get a pet that eats meat.

just a rant.
    almost as bad as those deluded vegan mothers who refuse to breast feed and feed nut milks instead...

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

I have a friend that feeds their dog chocolate!!!
    They know it is bad for their dog but still do it because they say "The dog likes it" - some people are idiots.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Dogs can actually get chocolate poisoning.

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I know a fair few vegans, and I've never ever heard of this. Source please. A quick google doesn't show a single case of this ever.

Here's a link to a vegan website page with several dozen vegan mothers all unanimously saying breastfeeding is cool and vegan. (summary: breastmilk isn't exploitive, and is given though free choice.)

http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-view/breastmilk-and-formula.htm

5. Leareth thread starter macrumors 68000

Leareth

there was an entire thread on this a couple years back . I am not saying ALL vegan mother, I am saying those deluded ones. like three of my neighbours.

this thread was supposed to be about pushing human morals onto animals. to me feeding a cat a vegan ( not vegetarian) diet is cruelty.

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Without proper supplements it will harm the dog or cat.

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Strange. Sadly some people are just obsessive about everything even their pets. I know a lady who is odd about her cats diet, but it's not in the vegan direction. She insists that they must have fresh food as if they were in their natural habitat, "the wild." She buys fresh meat and fish, expensive stuff, and specially prepares it for them. She says their favorite is fresh Salmon. Now you tell me, when's the last time you saw a special on Discovery with the elusive wild tabby cat standing mid stream catching fresh Salmon. It's so ridiculous, her cats eat better than her husband. I'm not saying don't take care of your animals or try to be natural, but be realistic too. :rolleyes:

8. iGary Guest

iGary

My vet said she does not recommend feeding cats seafood. It's not a food they are designed to digest (the oils, especially).

She recommends canned food first (chicken) or a dry food with as a low a carb content as possible (most are loaded with corn meal). She said in an ideal world, an all-meat diet is healthiest, preferably poultry.

Cats are not vegans (though mine likes to eat wheat grass as a snack).

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Cats eat grass to "empty" their stomachs. They have incisors for a reason.

The people doing this should spend their time on other pursuits, which might actually benefit Society.

[​IMG]

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Not mine. She eats it like it's a cobb salad.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I let my cat decide what it likes. Watch out if you are eating tuna or chicken though, sneaky bastard will steal it. :(

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Same. They love this semi-solid food my girlfriend and I buy for them. In terms of dry food they have some "natural" thing. But one of my cats also loves cranberries, so we'll give him a few whenever we have any.

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

anyone ever experience cats going completely nuts for olives?

you should brush up with your searching skills then ;). There are definitively people feeding vegan diets to their pets.
    It would be hard to envision companies selling vegan pet food if there was no market for it.

two examples: http://www.vegancats.com/ http://www.v-dogfood.com/

there is even a wikipedia entry on this:

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My cat will eat anything. My roommate baked a cake one day and left the kitchen for a few minutes with the cake uncovered. He came back and she was devouring the cake! :eek:

And trying to make a cat vegan is ridiculous.

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

anyways, it doesn't seem like a particularly good idea, especially for cats.
    Is seems also borderline for vegans to own pets in the first place.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

true that .. we found out when one accidently fell down
    but not all cats like them

on the other side we have a cat who goes nuts when she smells chocolate: it went so far that during eastern once with a easter bunny sitting inside it's nest, but with the packaging removed, lost it's ears ;)

also funnily enough crunchy salty snack food like chips etc. seem to attract one of our cats .. going so far that making it next to impossible to eat them on the couch

with such "crazy food for cats" we give her perhaps a small bite to try and that's it

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A very interesting observation, and one that vegans would probably not wish to pursue. ;)

18. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

That's horrible. Any stupid person to do that should be killed.

I'm serious. People trying to push their stupid belief system on a pet and hurting it in the process really boils my blood.

19. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

You should brush up on your reading skills too. Someone in this thread claimed some vegan mothers refused to breastfeed their babies as 'it's not vegan'.

I was pointing out that this rather extreme statement needed sources.

As for vegan pet food, yes I'm well aware of it. I'm ambivalent. Meat-based pet food is very poorly made and is full of absolute *****. Have you ever tasted cat food?

Well-made vegan pet food could well be more heathy than poorly made meat-based food. I've seen so many cats die of cancer that I'm starting to suspect their food or other environmental factors.

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

including what ? .. unless you are talking about artificial aromas etc. i don't know what kind of meat would be "*****" for a cat

cat food should be tasty/authentic to cats, not humans (humans prefer spices etc.)
    in fact the most correct food would be small mice and small birds

just like a well made selection of meats will be healthier that a poor selection of grass to a cow ?
    Cats are _highly specialized_ on eating meat

most cats live a lot longer in captivity than they would in the wild so it's normal that more cancers develop at high age

if somebody wants a pet eating vegetarian/vegan get such an animal in the first place .. like a rabbit

21. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Not all rabbits are vegan...

Attached Files:

22. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Not all, see here. I found this company when I was looking for ferret food. Ferrets lack the part of the intestine that digests veges, so they have to have all meat. It can get expensive, so thankfully I have found a version that's a little cheaper than what this company offers.

23. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/

Soy milk, not human milk.

24. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

25. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Veganism is idiotic. Humans are omnivores. Mankind has survived for tens of thousands of years by consuming meat. In many nations even today, meat is the only source of protein readily available. Only just in the past few decades have people (in a select few countries) had such ready access to a nutritious diet of "vegan friendly" foods. It's nothing more than a silly fad for hipster doofuses.

Anyone forcing a pet to eat a vegan diet should be arrested for animal cruelty.