caucus in iowa

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Don't panic, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

edit:
    upon further research, themadchemist was right and abc (and me) were wrong.
    the 'votes' are the state delegates, the 'delegates' are the national delegates.

about 220.000 people voted.

please disregard the thread. i am happy you're right themadchemist, the abc article had me worried.

(but i still dislike the primary system)

every pundit agrees that the results in iowa 'changed the game' for the upcoming presidential election in the democratic party, catapulting barack obama as possibly the new favourite for the dems nomination, and therefore (if the country doesn't go terminally insane i the next 10 months) as likely future president.

i personally like Obama, but these are the actual votes in the iowa primaries (votes, %, delegates):

Obama____940 38% 18
    Edwards___744 30% 16
    Clinton____737 29% 16
    Richardson_53 2% 0
    Biden______23 1% 0
    Dodd_______1 0% 0
    Gravel_____0 0% 0
    Kucinich____0 0% 0

how pathetic is a system in which the destiny of the nation (the world) is decided by less than 200 people?

it really is time to change it.

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

No. These are the delegate numbers. The Iowa Democratic Party does not release firm numbers of the *actual* votes, which total around 220,000 for the Democratic caucus.

3. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

that's not what abc says. they say they have 57 delegates.
    but i hope you are right

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Those are national delegates. The numbers you posted were for state delegates. All those state delegates go to a state convention and then the national delegates are selected.

Beat me to it. :)

5. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

see edit of first post (at 8.04 ;) )
    but thanks, hadn't you pointed out, i would have been totally misled by the abc article.

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It's a totally confusing thing, and actually after you pointed out the discrepancy between the number of elected delegates and the number who go to the national convention, I had to go back and research that, too, to see what the deal was.

Then, let's not forget the superdelegates, the elected officials and party officials who also get a say, and are not bound by the choices of their states. Right now, Hillary has a commanding lead on superdelegates, but something like half are still in play.