Caucus or Vote which is better?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I've been listening to a reporter talk to people in Nevada at Caucus Training. Is it me, this process seems antiquated and inefficient? No wonder they have a hard time getting people to vote. It's hard enough to get people to cast a ballot versus spend the day at a caucus meeting trying to influence each other whom to vote for. :rolleyes: Does anyone like the caucus system? If so why, so?

[​IMG]

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Vote. For alpha personalities, it is too easy to sway general opinion. This leads to a smaller group leading the majority effectively losing the benefits of a caucus.
    Now if we could vote remotely via say our phones....

Another benefit for encryption, yes? ;)

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Caucuses are a ****ing joke in this day and age. Forget about all the silly rules and tiebreakers, they disenfranchise a huge portion of the voters. In Iowa, if you weren't in a caucus location at 7pm, you couldn't caucus.

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

Vote. Caucus process may limit the number of people who can participate.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I agree that caucusing may limit the number of people who can vote, but in Iowa's case, it goes against the very thing that VoterID proponents (who are mainly on the Republican side of things) are calling for; the fact that no ID needs to be presented for a person to caucus. It's even noted that you may not even need to live in the caucusing state in question to caucus.

Yet VoterID proponents seem to be rather silent on the matter....

BL.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Instant run-off voting would be best.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Voting is better than a caucus.

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Caucuses are a disgrace. Archaic and undemocratic in many ways. Secret ballot please.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Whitie don't need no voter ID.

11. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I wholeheartedly agree. I think it would save a significant amount of taxpayer money, and make the entire voting process so much more efficient. Why has this not caught on?

12. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

This is surprising. How do they handle a stranger who walks in? Have a seat and caucus? I've all ready watched a demonstration on MSNBC illustrating how a person could caucus in multiple party caucuses of the same state. I've always been a proponent of voter ID, but for the type of card that is mailed to voters annually or could even be printed at home on a computer. The fail safe is to give the voter card a unique code that can be verified at the balloting location against a voter roster. There is no need for a photo ID no more than I should need one to access my bank account online. In fact lets get online voting going! :)

Agreed!

It's not caught on I imagine because the Major parties don't want it, even though the process would benefit both sides.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2016 ---
    Yes, absolutely.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm not sure, but I think caucuses and primaries are run by the parties which means they're not using public monies.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Caucasians don't need to caucus.