Caudabe Synthesis iPhone XR—Simply Awesome.

coreynyc

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I had been obsessing over what case to get for my XR for probably 6-8 weeks. I had been using a Caseology Skyfall from the Facebook deal to tide me over until I decided.

There were a bunch of boxes to check off for my next case.

I have been known to drop my phone and I have an 18 month old son and a 6 year old son. So I need drop protection.

I’m a big believer in having a good screen “lip” on a case after having never cracked a screen despite numerous drops on concrete/blacktop with past Spigen, Tech 21, and Speck cases and never using stick on screen protectors.

My next case couldn’t be too bulky, the XR is a big step up in size from my 7 and the Caseology case I had been using was definitely a little too wide.

I also wanted something with good grip. I’m often multitasking as a stay at home dad with the 2 kids. I can often be seen pushing a stroller with one hand and holding phone in the other.

Caudabe was strongly being considered but wasn’t sure if I should go with the Sheath or the Synthesis and finally ordered when their Black Friday sale started last weekend. I decided on the extra protection of the Synthesis because kids.

Since I have a black XR, I went with the smoky black Synthesis. It came in the mail today and I could not be more impressed. It’s basically everything I was looking in a case: sleep and protective. I can’t believe that the Sheath is similarly drop rated and even slimmer.

I am a Caudabe convert for sure. They obviously get good reviews but I don’t understand how they are not one of the bigger players in cases. They should be a top seller in big box stores and on Amazon instead of a brand on the DL.

If anyone wants pics, let me know

Reactions: Derek87

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
I don’t know why anyone wastes their time with a non-Caudabe case. For now, Caudabe is far ahead of the competition.

I won’t settle for anything less than the best, and the Caudabe Sheath is it.

Reactions: yegon and Ta0jin

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
I don’t know why anyone wastes their time with a non-Caudabe case. For now, Caudabe is far ahead of the competition.

I won’t settle for anything less than the best, and the Caudabe Sheath is it.
I wanted to try sheath for the x but that top patch instead of the signature horizontal line looked dubious

I think I’m officially caudabe hooked now

Reactions: AE14

Ta0jin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I had the sheath classic for the X and purchased it again for the XS Max. It’s the perfect minimal protective case for the minimalist in me lol.

robrobrobro

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
Funny, I disagree. I love Caudabe’s aesthetic and definitely think they make the most refined cases, but I’m not loving the Synthesis on my XR. I picked it up on the Black Friday deal to have something more protective.
I already hate how big and heavy my XR is, and the Synthesis makes it feel like a brick. Nice case otherwise, and it’s probably still slimmer than a lot of other cases out there. But given that you have two kiddos, I see the appeal!

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Big fan of Caudabe here as well. The Sheath is my go to case. I never took to the Synthesis because of how much thicker it is, but I might pick one up this year and give it another shot. Sounds solid.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
I had been obsessing over what case to get for my XR for probably 6-8 weeks. I had been using a Caseology Skyfall from the Facebook deal to tide me over until I decided.

I have been known to drop my phone and I have an 18 month old son and a 6 year old son. So I need drop protection.

I’m a big believer in having a good screen “lip” on a case after having never cracked a screen despite numerous drops on concrete/blacktop with past Spigen, Tech 21, and Speck cases and never using stick on screen protectors.

My next case couldn’t be too bulky, the XR is a big step up in size from my 7 and the Caseology case I had been using was definitely a little too wide.

I also wanted something with good grip. I’m often multitasking as a stay at home dad with the 2 kids. I can often be seen pushing a stroller with one hand and holding phone in the other.

Caudabe was strongly being considered but wasn’t sure if I should go with the Sheath or the Synthesis and finally ordered when their Black Friday sale started last weekend. I decided on the extra protection of the Synthesis because kids.

Since I have a black XR, I went with the smoky black Synthesis. It came in the mail today and I could not be more impressed. It’s basically everything I was looking in a case: sleep and protective. I can’t believe that the Sheath is similarly drop rated and even slimmer.

I am a Caudabe convert for sure. They obviously get good reviews but I don’t understand how they are not one of the bigger players in cases. They should be a top seller in big box stores and on Amazon instead of a brand on the DL.

I would love to see some pics!

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
The sheath is god mode

I will easily pay full retail for it next go round

It is magpul grip with crazy thinness for the advertised drop protection

The cut outs are clean, buttons punchy, I like the horizontal design line, it’s snug

What else ya looking for? (Unless a clear one occasionally which I understand but the feel is on point)

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004

Ugh I broke my iPhone 8 Plus screen when I was outside using a Caudabe sheath on concrete soooo. It was about an3 1/2 foot drop soooo needless to say I got an Apple leather case first before I got the screen repaired.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
Ugh I broke my iPhone 8 Plus screen when I was outside using a Caudabe sheath on concrete soooo. It was about an3 1/2 foot drop soooo needless to say I got an Apple leather case first before I got the screen repaired.
i'm sorry to hear this. did it land directly on the screen? did you have a screen protector?

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
It was a corner drop. No screen protector. This was my first iPhone screen crack actually since 2007. Maybe the xs screen is stronger.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
It was a corner drop. No screen protector. This was my first iPhone screen crack actually since 2007. Maybe the xs screen is stronger.
Sorry to hear about that!

I've only dropped my iphone 6 Plus twice on concrete when getting out of the car and forgetting the phone is on my lap. Once nothing happened to the phone. Second time the phone landed face first and I got 3-4 shattered spots on the tempered glass (landed on a few pebbles I think). Good thing nothing happened to the actual phone screen. I was using Zugu (used to be Zoogue) case that was ribbed on the sides so in my hands, I never worried about dropping the phone.

I really love my XR and want to keep this phone for 3-4 years like I did with my 6 plus. I do love the Caudabe Sheath..but I'm skeptical about their drop claims and would like a higher lip. I'm thinking if I should just bite the bullet and put up with something larger like the Speck Grip cases with the higher lip all around. I do have a Loopy Case Max coming in today so depending on how tall the lip is and how protective it feels, I may just switch to it for a peace of mind.. But I do love and prefer slim cases...

Last edited:

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
Sorry to hear about that!

I've only dropped my iphone 6 Plus twice on concrete when getting out of the car and forgetting the phone is on my lap. Once nothing happened to the phone. Second time the phone landed face first and I got 3-4 shattered spots on the tempered glass (landed on a few pebbles I think). Good thing nothing happened to the actual phone screen. I was using Zugu (used to be Zoogue) case that was ribbed on the sides so in my hands, I never worried about dropping the phone.

I really love my XR and want to keep this phone for 3-4 years like I did with my 6 plus. I do love the Caudabe Sheath..but I'm skeptical about their drop claims and would like a higher lip. I'm thinking if I should just bite the bullet and put up with something larger like the Speck Grip cases with the higher lip all around. I do have a Loopy Case Max coming in today so depending on how tall the lip is and how protective it feels, I may just switch to it for a peace of mind.. But I do love and prefer slim cases...
thanks for sharing this...i too am a little concerned about the very little remaining lip on my Sheath (XS) after having a 0.33mm tempered glass protector installed. yet, i hope that the protector would take the brunt of an direct impact.

i have a Synthesis on its way to me, but based on what i saw on the other thread, it doesn't sound like there significantly more lip than the Sheath.

the lip on the Speck grip is fantastic, but its a much bulkier case. i think i can take the thickness increase, but the width is significantly larger than the Sheath. this sort of erases the reason i chose of the XS over the XR -- the comfort level for my one-handed use of the phone.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
thanks for sharing this...i too am a little concerned about the very little remaining lip on my Sheath (XS) after having a 0.33mm tempered glass protector installed. yet, i hope that the protector would take the brunt of an direct impact.

i have a Synthesis on its way to me, but based on what i saw on the other thread, it doesn't sound like there significantly more lip than the Sheath.

the lip on the Speck grip is fantastic, but its a much bulkier case. i think i can take the thickness increase, but the width is significantly larger than the Sheath. this sort of erases the reason i chose of the XS over the XR -- the comfort level for my one-handed use of the phone.
I can't stand big lips (ahem, on cases). The Sheath is fine for my needs. I'm probably on my, what, 3rd or 4th year of using the Sheath? Haven't once cracked a screen. If the lip were any bigger I would hate it. I don't even like the Apple cases because of how big the lip comes up over the screen. Totally interferes with my swiping motions. And dust accumulates easily which is gross.

The biggest thing is that no amount of lip (unless it's massive) is going to prevent screen impact if you drop it in the wrong way. I've seen people with cracked screens using disgusting Tech21 and Otterbox cases. If you get a glass screen protector, you should be fine. The screen protector will probably break really easily, but those area cheap to replace.

Reactions: Ta0jin

rulymammoth

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
The 8 Plus Sheath is different. I don't have an 8 Plus anymore, but the XS Max Sheath feels like a different case. The lip on the new Sheath feels more substantial. The whole case just feels different. I'm not sure if it's because of the grippier texture or a bunch of things in combination. The XS Max Sheath just feels much nicer in the hand. Easily the best case I've ever used. I would try a Synthesis for my XS Max if they'd ever get them back in stock. Every time I look it's sold out.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Everyone likes or prefers different things with cases and protection. I don’t like screen protectors. You can always see them and the edge, especially the bottom edge, interferes with my swiping. Dust and dirt accumulates around the edges too. I depend on the lip to protect the screen. Had iPhones since the iPhone 4 and never broken a screen even after heavy drops. Of course I might have just been lucky and there can be an unlucky first time whatever protection you use.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
To those who have the synthesis on their XR. is there a gap betweeen the silent switch and screen very small but a gap nonetheless?