Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
So is there any update on this? I would really like to get a screen protector for my 11” but I don’t want to waste money if I am just going to have to rip it off because of touch input issues.

ManyThreads

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
So is there any update on this? I would really like to get a screen protector for my 11” but I don’t want to waste money if I am just going to have to rip it off because of touch input issues.

Just buy from Amazon and return it for free of charge if it doesn't work - it's not your fault if they are selling you products they haven't even tested on a real iPad. I still have not found one that works and I have tired every brand available to me. Others seem to have mixed luck.
[doublepost=1542134538][/doublepost]
I noticed the $16.99 Sparin one w/the cutout is now down to $8.99.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JGDKNR...olid=28QWRXMZHMUI2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Tempted to spring for it, but it's still getting mediocre reviews though. I'm not sure if i want to stick something to my iPad that I'm going to have to rip back off and hopefully not damage the screen itself...

Don't worry about screen damage - they are not held on by much. You get one corner up and it comes off with almost zero effort. I've installed/removed 5 or 6 of them now.

Reactions: tekchic

KawaiiKitsune13

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2016
Sorry but how would the cutout solve the lack of touch performance? Seems like that would only help with Face ID which is the lesser of the two issues.
[doublepost=1542130303][/doublepost]

I tried two - both completely removed touch functionality. Other reviews say the same. Maybe there are significant manufacturing variances? Not sure.

Well, I can’t speak for anyone else’s touch screen issues. Mine has been working flawlessly since I installed it last night. No sensitivity issues whatsoever

NeverInDoubt

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
For those in the UK, MediaDevil is releasing a non glass film screen protector for the 11 inch. Shipping from the 16th. Not cheap, £19.97 and in some ways it might seem a retrograde step to go back to a film protector but my experience of their film products has been excellent and if it keeps my iPad protected until the glass issue is resolved, I’m happy to pay for it. Order placed, more fingers crossed.

Reactions: flur

kingalien

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2010
Earth
Previously had a 12.9 which I returned and now have 11. Just installed a Tethys glass protector (I also ordered a Maxboost as a backup). Both are same just the different branding. Both ordered from Amazon.

Have had it on for over an hour and no significant issues. No problems at all with face ID. Only slight issue seems to be if you want to swipe up to unlock the iPad (after Face ID engages properly) it may not recognize the swipe up. For example, if you have the iPad on a stand (e.g. any tablet stand), swiping up may not engage. Also may happen when the iPad is on the Apple keyboard folio and in the tilted position (though you won't need to swipe up with the keyboard, just hit any key after Face ID engages). All other screen touches are fine including gestures (e.g. five fingers to close app).

As for Face ID, before I installed I deleted my Face ID profile. Installed the protector and made sure no bubbles were around any of the front cameras. I then set up Face ID again after installation and so far absolutely no problems.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
For those in the UK, MediaDevil is releasing a non glass film screen protector for the 11 inch. Shipping from the 16th. Not cheap, £19.97 and in some ways it might seem a retrograde step to go back to a film protector but my experience of their film products has been excellent and if it keeps my iPad protected until the glass issue is resolved, I’m happy to pay for it. Order placed, more fingers crossed.
They ship to the US as well. Ordered mine last night.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I installed the second/extra AMFilm cover I got, and... much better. It still isn’t 100% perfect, but it’s 97% compared to the 55% my previous Pro one. The pencil is 100% good, only my finger has a small blip occur 1 in 100 times.
I’m super happy.

Kallum.

Last edited:

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Just did some note taking on my new 12.9 with the Apple Pencil. Sensitively is definitely affected with the ESR screen protector. I may pull it off and wait and see if an improved one gets released.
[doublepost=1542216976][/doublepost]Made a video:

andrew1995

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2013
Just did some note taking on my new 12.9 with the Apple Pencil. Sensitively is definitely affected with the ESR screen protector. I may pull it off and wait and see if an improved one gets released.
[doublepost=1542216976][/doublepost]Made a video:

This is bizarre because I’ve had an ESR glass on mine since day 1 he had no issues. Just checked and did the same test as you in the notes app

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
New discovery, with regards to using the Pencil.

I noticed the tip of the Pencil seems to be worn off(defect?). On the left is the tip of the new Apple Pencil, and on the right is the tip of my old Pencil. I swapped them and now it works as expected.

Attachments

• 071811F9-6756-4704-BBF6-C98D9259A070.jpeg
    071811F9-6756-4704-BBF6-C98D9259A070.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 185

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
New discovery, with regards to using the Pencil.

I noticed the tip of the Pencil seems to be worn off(defect?). On the left is the tip of the new Apple Pencil, and on the right is the tip of my old Pencil. I swapped them and now it works as expected.

Yikes, that left tip looks like it was dropped straight down and got blunted, or was pressed really hard against something, or is just plain defective. How does everything work if you use the old Pencil tip on the new Pencil? Better sensitivity?

Reactions: mcvaughan

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Just installed my Jetech screen protector from Amazon on my iPad Pro 11”. This is the one with the single tiny hole for the mic.

Aligned it perfectly, rubbed out the fogginess around the Face ID cameras and I can confirm that there are no issues with Face ID whatsoever.

Also no issues with touch sensitivity or scrolling speeds. Tried it naked with one hand holding it, or it lying flat on cotton/fabric. Or inside Apple Smart Keyboard folio. All without issues.

This is the one I got
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07GZTRC8Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

I actually much prefer a film protector with the iPad Pro. Not for the protection aspect so much, I like the feel of the Pencil with a matte screen protector.

Got mine for £2 off eBay, cheap and nasty I usually assume. I got it because it was the only one available to reach me on time. But it’s turned out better than the one I spent ten times as much on for my last iPad Pro. And there’s 2 in the pack, so should last a while.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Argh I bought the JetTech one and after all my apps downloaded it worked perfectly. But it is now getting steadily worse and missing a lot of taps and gestures leading to me prodding at it waiting for a press or swipe to register.

Assuming the underlying hardware and software is ok I suspect the glue on the screen protector allows it to lift an imperceptible amount causing touch’s not to register. Something must have changed in the screen hardware for this gen reducing the tolerance for how thick and well bonded a screen protector can be. I really hope they solve this soon and everyone launches with a glass protector that works 100% of the time.

UScr00ge

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
I received the new version of the SPARIN from Amazon. Used it for about a day so far. FaceID works fine with the cutout, but the touch sensitivity is definitely screwed up now. Missed swipes, taps, etc....all the normal symptoms that have been reported in this thread by other posters.

The search for the perfect screen protector continues....

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Yikes, that left tip looks like it was dropped straight down and got blunted, or was pressed really hard against something, or is just plain defective. How does everything work if you use the old Pencil tip on the new Pencil? Better sensitivity?

Yes, I must have dropped it. New tip works perfectly. Talk about a rabbit hole...

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
I actually much prefer a film protector with the iPad Pro. Not for the protection aspect so much, I like the feel of the Pencil with a matte screen protector.

Got mine for £2 off eBay, cheap and nasty I usually assume. I got it because it was the only one available to reach me on time. But it’s turned out better than the one I spent ten times as much on for my last iPad Pro. And there’s 2 in the pack, so should last a while.
Please post a link to it.

NeverInDoubt

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
Starting to think that a film protector is the short or even long term answer until one of those companies holding out before releasing a glass screen protector manage to find a glass specification/ design that works. Something seems to be fundamentally different with these new iPad Pro models and a consistently reliable solution isn’t yet apparent.

Reactions: whitedragon101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.