Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klankpad

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
Only thing I can say is that it works for me...better a working plastic than a non working glass....

Watch my post somewhere here above, I have a techgear glass one with no issues so far... have it one week on now.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I have the Media Devil screen protector on my 11” iPad Pro and it works really well. The only thing that annoys me is that it’s a real fingerprint magnet more so then other glass and non glass screen protectors I’ve used. It’s harder to get the fingerprints off too.

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
I have the Media Devil screen protector on my 11” iPad Pro and it works really well. The only thing that annoys me is that it’s a real fingerprint magnet more so then other glass and non glass screen protectors I’ve used. It’s harder to get the fingerprints off too.

That's a concern since all of the glass I've used before nearly hides all fingerprints and oil. I barely had to wipe it with a microfiber once a week. Right now with a naked IPP11, I feel like I have to wipe it every hour to keep it oil free.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
In all the years I’ve used glass, it’s always been Zagg. Not once have they ever let me down.

This time my choice is roughly $40 for a reputable company with lifetime warranty or a brand I’ve never heard of, at least in the US, with a technically inferior product for the same price.

I’m not bashing MD in any way, I’m just comparing two similar products, prices, and qualities.
I'm with you. Waiting on Zagg. Our local kiosk doesn't have them in stock yet. I wish I'd see a review out there somewhere. Nothing yet...

Reactions: whitedragon101

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I've purchased the Zagg Glass protector (discount is still auto applied when you add it to your cart bringing it to about $41). It will be till about Jan 10 when I receive it but will report back once I've had a chance to use it with the Pencil.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
That's a concern since all of the glass I've used before nearly hides all fingerprints and oil. I barely had to wipe it with a microfiber once a week. Right now with a naked IPP11, I feel like I have to wipe it every hour to keep it oil free.

I do want to change over to a glass screen protector but I’m waiting for one which consistently gets good reviews and feedback before taking the plunge. The Zagg looks interesting and I don’t mind paying the money for it if it works without any issues. To me even a small issue is still an issue.

Reactions: Shark5150

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
I got the power support AFP screen protector from japan for my iPad Pro 11 and have been using it for the past week. Touch sensitivity is great and despite it being a non-glass protector, it has a fingerprint resistant coating that works quite well

Last edited:

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
How are you guys testing for dead pixels? Various colors of solid "wallpaper"?

Immediately noticeable the first time I turned it on right out of the box. Black cluster on a white background busted below the Face ID sensors.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
In all the years I’ve used glass, it’s always been Zagg. Not once have they ever let me down.

This time my choice is roughly $40 for a reputable company with lifetime warranty or a brand I’ve never heard of, at least in the US, with a technically inferior product for the same price.

I’m not bashing MD in any way, I’m just comparing two similar products, prices, and qualities.

How do you know that it is an inferior product? Have you tested it already? Is there a problem with a company that's non American?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Is there a problem with a company that's non American?

Just want to point out that it's really hard to figure out what's an "American" (or Japanese, or German, or Korean, or South African, or whatever) product today. In the US, there are actually at least half a dozen different "official" (governmental) definitions for what "Made in US" means. IMHO, it's totally futile and wrong-headed to get wrapped around the axle of where something was made. (There was a very interesting story in the New York Times last month about Apple's early efforts to make computers in the US, which turned into a disaster.)

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Just want to point out that it's really hard to figure out what's an "American" (or Japanese, or German, or Korean, or South African, or whatever) product today. In the US, there are actually at least half a dozen different "official" (governmental) definitions for what "Made in US" means. IMHO, it's totally futile and wrong-headed to get wrapped around the axle of where something was made. (There was a very interesting story in the New York Times last month about Apple's early efforts to make computers in the US, which turned into a disaster.)

Ur totally right... and it doesn't matter where the product is made (with a few exemptions) as long as it is good.
Do you have a link to that story in the NYT?

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
How do you know that it is an inferior product? Have you tested it already? Is there a problem with a company that's non American?

Inferior based on technical specs. Plastic protectors were a thing a decade ago. Glass screen protectors have become the norm now for several years.

I just can’t imagine going back to screen protector types commonly used on an iPhone 4.

An analogy I can compare would be having a high end plasma TV from ten years ago and a high end OLED. Sure that plasma was amazing. Was, which means it’s inferior to a standard today.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Inferior based on technical specs. Plastic protectors were a thing a decade ago. Glass screen protectors have become the norm now for several years.

I just can’t imagine going back to screen protector types commonly used on an iPhone 4.

An analogy I can compare would be having a high end plasma TV from ten years ago and a high end OLED. Sure that plasma was amazing. Was, which means it’s inferior to a standard today.

It doesn't feel like the plastic we had on our good ole 4s and up until now there are no markings from the pen. maybe just try it or leave it and wait until the glass protector of your preference is available. It is that easy... :)

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
It doesn't feel like the plastic we had on our good ole 4s and up until now there are no markings from the pen. maybe just try it or leave it and wait until the glass protector of your preference is available. It is that easy... :)

Hey I’m not knocking MD. I’m still on the fence with getting it. I’m just having a hard time deciding on paying the same price for their plastic compared to a name brand glass that has never done me wrong.

My point is I would like to try MD, yet their cost is just a bit high compared to real glass such as from Zagg.

Reactions: RevTEG

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Hey I’m not knocking MD. I’m still on the fence with getting it. I’m just having a hard time deciding on paying the same price for their plastic compared to a name brand glass that has never done me wrong.

My point is I would like to try MD, yet their cost is just a bit high compared to real glass such as from Zagg.

Don't worry everything is fine.....

Tamnator

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
Australia
I installed a Nuglas glass screen protector last night. The onscreen keyboard immediately suffered and often missed key presses. I started searching and found this forum. I was all geared up to try the MD protector however now that I’ve let the glass one rest overnight and properly settle in, it’s absolutely perfect today. There was never a Face ID problem, but now there’s no issue with sensitivity, including using the Apple Pencil.

I have used this brand of glass protector on my iPhones for years because I’ve found them the most reliable and well cut. Strongly recommend these as a way of still using a glass protector on the new screens.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/253989255608

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
I installed a Nuglas glass screen protector last night. The onscreen keyboard immediately suffered and often missed key presses. I started searching and found this forum. I was all geared up to try the MD protector however now that I’ve let the glass one rest overnight and properly settle in, it’s absolutely perfect today. There was never a Face ID problem, but now there’s no issue with sensitivity, including using the Apple Pencil.

I have used this brand of glass protector on my iPhones for years because I’ve found them the most reliable and well cut. Strongly recommend these as a way of still using a glass protector on the new screens.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/253989255608
Put the iPad flat on a table and tell us how it goes

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I see a few posts in this thread of people using and recommending a particular glass screen protector. Whilst that’s encouraging for me to invest in any of those I would need see a number of positive reviews or feedback comments to buy any of them. Unfortunately one positive review isn’t enough to provide consistency. I’m going to stick with the Media Devil for now until I find a glass screen protector that consistently has good reviews and feedback.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I see a few posts in this thread of people using and recommending a particular glass screen protector. Whilst that’s encouraging for me to invest in any of those I would need see a number of positive reviews or feedback comments to buy any of them. Unfortunately one positive review isn’t enough to provide consistency. I’m going to stick with the Media Devil for now until I find a glass screen protector that consistently has good reviews and feedback.
I too am staying with the Media Devil for now. Works fine.

Reactions: Superrenz and Mr.C

FenrirWolf

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2018
Adelaide
How are you guys testing for dead pixels? Various colors of solid "wallpaper"?

Depending on how bad it is. The second unit was so bad I could see several on the start screen that says hello before you start setting it up.

Hmmm for me I feel like the MD is less of a fingerprint magnet compared to bare ipad glass but definitely not as clean as tempered glass.

Reactions: Mr.C
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.