Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAtYou

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
Just reporting back in to say that my experience of using the glass screen protector from Omoton has been really good. Been using for a few weeks now. As long as I’m holding the device it works flawlessly. Then if it’s laying flat on my desk there’s an easy fix for any unresponsiveness - plug it In! Works flawlessly then.

I’m totally happy with that as the ‘workarounds’ are totally hassle free for me, and I’d rather stick to a glass protector by a long way.

dso

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2015
Just a word of caution. Do NOT try and use any of the glass screen protectors currently available for the new iPad Pros. The touch response becomes SERIOUSLY wonky. It is so bad I thought I had a hardware issue with my brand new 11" iPad Pro.
Same with me. Thought I was going crazy or my lovely new IPP 11 inch was seriously malfunctioning, so set up Genius Bar for next week but will now cancel. With Omoton, JTech and other glass protectors I had scroll problems with my right thumb and the IPP lying flat on bed. Picked it up and scrolling problem vanished. Poor virtual keyboard responsiveness - everything reported by so many others. I've decided to wait for Amazon to show some affordable glass protectors with verified proper functioning from tens of reviewers! Otherwise, for first time in my life, I'm going naked and I'm scared - oh so first-world-problem scared. I'm convinced the Pencil and/or the fabric keys of the folio will scratch the screen before I get a functioning protector onto it. Maybe I should just stare at the iPad and not actually touch it until it's covered. Maybe I need to see my therapist about this.
[doublepost=1546687892][/doublepost]I should add that my screen scratch paranoia is compounded by the fact that the Smart Keybord Folio offers *not a whit* of edge or corner protection, leaving my IPP more exposed to the dangers of modern life than any iOS device I've ever owned.
[doublepost=1546687923][/doublepost]
Same with me. Thought I was going crazy or my lovely new IPP 11 inch was seriously malfunctioning, so set up Genius Bar for next week but will now cancel. With Omoton, JTech and other glass protectors I had scroll problems with my right thumb and the IPP lying flat on bed. Picked it up and scrolling problem vanished. Poor virtual keyboard responsiveness - everything reported by so many others. I've decided to wait for Amazon to show some affordable glass protectors with verified proper functioning from tens of reviewers! Otherwise, for first time in my life, I'm going naked and I'm scared - oh so first-world-problem scared. I'm convinced the Pencil and/or the fabric keys of the folio will scratch the screen before I get a functioning protector onto it. Maybe I should just stare at the iPad and not actually touch it until it's covered. Maybe I need to see my therapist about this.
[doublepost=1546687892][/doublepost]I should add that my screen scratch paranoia is compounded by the fact that the Smart Keybord Folio offers *not a whit* of edge or corner protection, leaving my IPP more exposed to the dangers of modern life than any iOS device I've ever owned.
And that makes me sad - very sad.

Reactions: leebroath

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

You could always get the Media Devil screen protector. It’s not glass but it’s also not regular plastic film either but somewhere in between. A lot of people including myself have had very good results with it

dso

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2015
You could always get the Media Devil screen protector. It’s not glass but it’s also not regular plastic film either but somewhere in between. A lot of people including myself have had very good results with it
Yes, but it's so expensive and I'm just so bad at installing plastic protectors. I'll end up in a dust bubble nightmare, tearing my remaining hair out.

MacAtYou

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
I just plug it in if I’m leaving it resting flat on a surface. No touch issues then

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Just reporting back in to say that my experience of using the glass screen protector from Omoton has been really good. Been using for a few weeks now. As long as I’m holding the device it works flawlessly. Then if it’s laying flat on my desk there’s an easy fix for any unresponsiveness - plug it In! Works flawlessly then.

I’m totally happy with that as the ‘workarounds’ are totally hassle free for me, and I’d rather stick to a glass protector by a long way.

Oddly, mine started out great, became non-responsive, and is now behaving perfectly again. Not sure at all how this could happen...

MacAtYou

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
Oddly, mine started out great, became non-responsive, and is now behaving perfectly again. Not sure at all how this could happen...

Strangely I get those days too. But if there’s ever an issue - holding it or plugging it in cures it and makes it a complete non issue for me.

Reactions: newellj

Samjeff93

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2019
Am havin the same issues as everyone is telling with d tempered glass protector.. Wil Apple replace the iPad ?? Not all customers are facing this problem rite ? Oly few are having this issue I guess ... so is replacement possible ... ?? I called Apple call support, they told to go to d nearest Apple Store to see if der is any hardware problem..
[doublepost=1546692782][/doublepost]
Am havin the same issues as everyone is telling with d tempered glass protector.. Wil Apple replace the iPad ?? Not all customers are facing this problem rite ? Oly few are having this issue I guess ... so is replacement possible ... ?? I called Apple call support, they told to go to d nearest Apple Store to see if der is any hardware problem..
I already got replaced it once ... But d replaced one which I got is also not workin wel with tempered glass

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I already got replaced it once ... But d replaced one which I got is also not workin wel with tempered glass

The problem isn’t with the iPad.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008

It’s the glue that holds it down. The JetTech glass screen protector I have works fine then starts to miss key presses. Then run over the whole screen with a cloth pushing it down. Then try again and it’s fine. Then repeat after a few days when it comes imperceptibly unstuck again.

I am sure better adhesive will solve this

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

It’s not the iPad itself. It’s an issue with glass screen protectors with some working better then others but all pretty much having issues with touch and or Face ID. Changing the iPad is unlikely to make any difference.
[doublepost=1546723336][/doublepost]
Yes, but it's so expensive and I'm just so bad at installing plastic protectors. I'll end up in a dust bubble nightmare, tearing my remaining hair out.

It is expensive but it works perfectly. And it gives pretty decent protection. I had mine put on at a kiosk at a local shopping centre as I’m useless at putting screen protectors on. They only charged me £2 which to me was definitely worth it.

Reactions: dso and Superrenz

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I’m pretty sure it’s not the glass protectors but the lamination process is flawed with this crop of iPads. I noticed bubbles/distortion on my display while tilting it randomly and thought it was the protector but after removing it I found iPad’s screen was not laminated correctly or fully.
After removing the protector, I tride using and touching the bubbled/non laminated areas and it wouldn’t function or recognize my touch.
:/

jhoj

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
I received the ZAGG glass+ for my 12.9 inch iPad Pro today and no issues so far. It was easy to install and i am very happy that i didn’t get any specs of visible dust under the glass. I had the ZAGG glass+ on my original 12.9 inch iPad Pro for 3 years and never had any issues. I like the glass feel and after living without it until now since release date I have to say it is much easier to keep clean than the iPad screen. I was nervous to use the pencil as I was afraid I would get something between the pencil and the screen and scratch it (probably paranoia but with the cost of the iPad I didn’t want to risk it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I’m pretty sure it’s not the glass protectors but the lamination process is flawed with this crop of iPads. I noticed bubbles/distortion on my display while tilting it randomly and thought it was the protector but after removing it I found iPad’s screen was not laminated correctly or fully.
After removing the protector, I tride using and touching the bubbled/non laminated areas and it wouldn’t function or recognize my touch.
:/

Really?!? That's a clear defect. Displays are not supposed to delaminate (duh ;) ). Have you tried to return it for a replacement?

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Ok back I come with an update, I thought my device was out of the woods...apparently not

I was sitting holding my iPad scrolling with my left thumb, holding the iPad with my right hand, I also laid it on the bed covers sitting in bed and everything was fine, I then turned to my right, where my bedside cabinet and light was, and placed the iPad 11” partly on the bed and partly on the wooden side unit. I just could not swipe up and down on a wiki page at all using my thumb! I then changed to my left pointing finger and it scrolled no bother....this is so damn weird!

I’m also using a MD screen protector so I think it’s all to do with the screen of the iPad Pro and how it’s been made.

Sorry if this has been answered earlier..

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yeah, but the replacement was the same.

Two out of two is a shocking defect rate. Did you return for cash and call it quits? I absolutely believe what you're saying, but it's surprising. I don't think I've read about other people with that defect.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Two out of two is a shocking defect rate. Did you return for cash and call it quits? I absolutely believe what you're saying, but it's surprising. I don't think I've read about other people with that defect.
I'm not sure what to do to be honest mate, I might try one more replacement but from a different store, (maybe it will be a different batch that is better, *knock on wood.)

Kallum.

Reactions: newellj

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
I received the ZAGG glass+ for my 12.9 inch iPad Pro today and no issues so far. It was easy to install and i am very happy that i didn’t get any specs of visible dust under the glass. I had the ZAGG glass+ on my original 12.9 inch iPad Pro for 3 years and never had any issues. I like the glass feel and after living without it until now since release date I have to say it is much easier to keep clean than the iPad screen. I was nervous to use the pencil as I was afraid I would get something between the pencil and the screen and scratch it (probably paranoia but with the cost of the iPad I didn’t want to risk it.

I’ve never used anything except Zagg for the past several years as well. Using the new IPP 11 without one is killing me... the oil and fingerprint streaks are insane on a bare screen, and my hands are always clean. With my IPad Air 2 and zagg glass I maybe had to use a microfiber cloth once a week. Today with my new IPP11 just looking at it without even touching it causes smudges!

Thank you for confirming so far that the Zagg glass isn’t having issues at this time. Would you mind doing some more testing to see if it works flat on a table, a couch, or propped up? And what type of case do you use?

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I’ve never used anything except Zagg for the past several years as well. Using the new IPP 11 without one is killing me... the oil and fingerprint streaks are insane on a bare screen, and my hands are always clean. With my IPad Air 2 and zagg glass I maybe had to use a microfiber cloth once a week. Today with my new IPP11 just looking at it without even touching it causes smudges!

Thank you for confirming so far that the Zagg glass isn’t having issues at this time. Would you mind doing some more testing to see if it works flat on a table, a couch, or propped up? And what type of case do you use?
It’s not surprising he’s not having issues. The 11” model is the one exhibiting issues for most users with a glass protector, the 12.9 seems to be fine for some odd reason.

I have the ZAGG on order for the 11” model, it should have it sometime next week at worst, I’ll report back. Debating taking it to one of those ZAGG kiosks at the mall as they may be able to do a perfect install.

arsy51

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2018
Just replaced my MD with Zagg. The stupid case that I put onto my iPP 11 mucked up my MD protector (pushed up 2 of the corners of it). It's not that MD wasn't working (it worked fine), I was just waiting for the Zagg protector to become available (been using Zagg for several years, and I had one on my previous iPP 10.5). I walked by a Zagg booth at the mall over the weekend and they had them. glass+ was $60-something with taxes, and what's nice is that if anything happens to the protector, I can just bring it back in and they'll replace it for $20. It's not a fingerprint magnet, and FaceID works perfectly fine.

MacAtYou

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
H
Ok back I come with an update, I thought my device was out of the woods...apparently not

I was sitting holding my iPad scrolling with my left thumb, holding the iPad with my right hand, I also laid it on the bed covers sitting in bed and everything was fine, I then turned to my right, where my bedside cabinet and light was, and placed the iPad 11” partly on the bed and partly on the wooden side unit. I just could not swipe up and down on a wiki page at all using my thumb! I then changed to my left pointing finger and it scrolled no bother....this is so damn weird!

I’m also using a MD screen protector so I think it’s all to do with the screen of the iPad Pro and how it’s been made.

Sorry if this has been answered earlier..

Hey can you try connecting the usb c cable and powering it via that. You shouldn’t have any issues with the touch screen then. Works for me.

I’m wondering if it’s a power saving mode that’s triggered when the iPad is left completely motionless for a while. In conjunction with the screen protector the capacitive screen can’t reliably read your finger while in low power mode? Doesn’t happen when plugged in as far as I can tell.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Just replaced my MD with Zagg. The stupid case that I put onto my iPP 11 mucked up my MD protector (pushed up 2 of the corners of it). It's not that MD wasn't working (it worked fine), I was just waiting for the Zagg protector to become available (been using Zagg for several years, and I had one on my previous iPP 10.5). I walked by a Zagg booth at the mall over the weekend and they had them. glass+ was $60-something with taxes, and what's nice is that if anything happens to the protector, I can just bring it back in and they'll replace it for $20. It's not a fingerprint magnet, and FaceID works perfectly fine.

Dying to hear whether there are any touch issues or screen sensitivity problems.

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
Dying to hear whether there are any touch issues or screen sensitivity problems.

Same here. As soon as we get confirmation of a good screen protector I’m exchanging my IPP11 and slapping glass on it right away. I would love to give MD a shot, I just can’t find myself to spend $40 shipped for plastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.