iPad Pro CAUTION! New iPad Pro 11” (Glass Screen Protector) Issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anaudiopro, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Klankpad macrumors newbie

Klankpad

T
    Techgear glass one works perfect on mine 12.9 , I use the pencil also... no problems after 2 weeks of use

2. shinseiromeo macrumors 6502

shinseiromeo

Techgear, not tech armor right? Others have said the 12.9 glass works without issue. Not sure if this is true or not.

3. NeverInDoubt macrumors member

To reassure, over a month of daily use with my IPP 11 and the MediaDevil Screen protector and Apple Pencil and no issues, no scratches.

4. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

Returned my 11 LTE for out of "spec" bend and worry about future changes. Want to get a WIFI version, but only when I can also put glass on it. Waiting on Zagg to hit Best Buy so they can install it and I can test right there and accept or refuse, but not in stores yet. BB has their Insignia, which has FaceID issues reported except one user who says after FaceID reset it works well.

I'm not going back through this thread to find reports. Can someone please chime in about whether the Insignia glass works even if FaceID reset is required? Thank you.

Edit: did a search on this thread for "insignia" with no results except my post, so still looking for experience with it. thanks.

5. shinseiromeo macrumors 6502

shinseiromeo

I've never seen any glass in store for the new iPads. zagg must know there's an issue, as otherwise it makes no sense how best buy doesn't stock it two months after launch.

6. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think this one is a keeper. I was impressed so I also picked up their film for the XR, but problem is they made it too big so it lifts from the bottom a little bit. Unfortunately, that’s where you will be swiping the most to unlock the phone, so it’ll only get worse. Tried both too. I took a picture before I took it off, going to try emailing them for either a refund or maybe a replacement with a fix.

The one thing I don’t like about it though is that it isn’t remotely case friendly at all. I’ve used the Apple Smart Keyboard and Folio until now, but I wanted to try a case like the new DinoCase with side protection and a Magic Keyboard, but this screen protector simply won’t allow it.

I may consider the Power Support film next, apparently that one has Apple Pencil in mind.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I bought a used 11” with a screen protector already installed and i thought i was crazy when i tried to type with the iPad laying flat. Some of the keys were giving me trouble. By the looks of it, this seems to be a pretty thick protector. I’m not having issues with scrolling, but I am seeing issues with the Smart Keyboard. When it’s closed, it seems like the magnets are having trouble keeping it closed and it wants to open very easily. Will be looking for a thinner replacement asap.

8. dogbiskit2 macrumors member

I originally had the 12.9” with the MediaDevil, but decided it was just too big for the way I was using it. I was pretty wary of going to the 11” based on the posts here, but bought this protector based on the posts/inputs in another thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/screen-protectors-for-new-ipad-pro.2152940). I’ve had it for almost a week, and I haven’t noticed any touch issues.

9. newellj macrumors 604

Any other reports on the Zagg Glass+ protector?

10. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

11. shinseiromeo macrumors 6502

shinseiromeo

Has anyone tested the skinomi glass? They and amfilm glass have the highest ratings though amfilm is not prime eligible.

12. Kal-037 macrumors 65816

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I've been using the AMFilm one for quite some time and it works beautifully. :)

Kallum.

13. Trey M, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019

Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Reporting back with the Zagg protector: Unfortunately one of the corners is not sealing correctly and therefore I’m going to request a replacement. However, I have found that the Face ID is less accurate for sure using the Zagg protector, even after resetting Face ID after installation. It insists that it’s covered even when nothing is covering it. It is certainly still usable but it just takes more of a conscious effort than before for Face ID. It’s not something which would make me not use the protector.

Regarding the overall responsiveness I’ve noticed certain things, i.e. inputting my 4 digit passcode, sometimes my touches aren’t recognized when they certainly were prior installing the protector. Not sure if this is related to the fact that my protector seems to be faulty, however, so I will report back when installing another protector. I will say though that it sure seems like the Zagg protector makes Face ID worse at least to some degree.

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I found the same with my ZAGG protector. Face ID started out great and then became flaky. I’m going to request a replacement too, but I also ordered the TechMatte glass protector in case this replacement is just as flaky.

15. newellj macrumors 604

Thank you both. It looks like the usually excellent Zagg glass protectors are not a great choice for the Pro at this time. Too bad...

16. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

The quality of the protector itself is excellent, in my opinion. What they need to change is the size of the cutout so that it doesn't cover ANY part of the FaceID stuff. Right now, it leaves some things uncovered and covers others.

I love the feel of the Zagg and the resistance to fingerprints and would definitely recommend it if they resolve the FaceID issues.

17. tazdevl, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019

tazdevl macrumors regular

Zaggs prices are ridiculous which is why I stopped using them. Maybe the premium is their tithe to the Mormon Church lol. I’m not a member and don’t want to pay it. Can get 2 packs of MediaDevil (4 protectors total) for the price of 1 Zagg.

Zaggs no better than TechArmor, Anker, Spigen etc... in my experience. I bet there’s only a handful of factories pumping out these screen protectors in a couple different configurations with various glass qualities and packaging, then they’re just rebranded.

11” IPP and MD protector going strong here. Zero scratches or issues. Using pencil too. Fingerprints don’t seem to be any worse than what I’ve experienced with Anker or Spigen and slightly worse than TechArmor (who’s oleophobic coating always seems pretty solid).

18. PeterJH3 macrumors 6502

After reading so many of your reviews, I went with MediaDevil in hopes of find the best screen protector for a Face ID iPad Pro. Well...today in the mail I received the package in less than stellar condition. I wrote back to the company stating my extreme disappointment even though I am State-side. Any other suggestions by any other companies?

6A8BB1A3-DC5A-43A6-AF65-C5EE691C8745.jpeg
    D5098EA1-CDC2-4AF4-A76B-394F73D42A39.jpeg
    3CD02A2D-A23F-4D51-B16B-B132B21ABC7F.jpeg

19. nicegoogly macrumors regular

nicegoogly

That might work given how bendy these new iPad Pros are...

20. PeterJH3 macrumors 6502

Lololol omg. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

21. Mr.C macrumors 601

To be honest I don’t think that’s the fault of Media Devil. Granted it might have been better to send it in a stiff cardboard envelope to make it safer. Mine arrived in the same packaging though all be it within the U.K. here and it was fine. It’s most likely the fault of the postal service and maybe you should seek compensation from them.

22. PeterJH3 macrumors 6502

I completely agree and was not bashing MD...just disappointing to wait so long to only receive it damaged. My local USPS carrier is awful at that. Just wondering what to do next since I’ve had my IPP for 5 days and it’s still unopened due to wanting a screen protector.

23. Mr.C macrumors 601

No worries. It’s all good. To be honest I’m the same too. I usually try to get the screen protector first if I can. That way as soon as I get my iPhone or iPad I can take it to the kiosk in the mall to have it put on. I never use an iPhone or iPad without a screen protector on it.

24. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

As much as I like the MD I need something with a little bit of room for a case, so I’m going to try the Power Support film. It’s on the way but I’m not sure when I’m going to get the chance to put it on.

25. shinseiromeo macrumors 6502

shinseiromeo

Does mediadevil have a promo for macrumor members? I would almost assume since they post here. I am willing to give them a try though I'm not paying nearly $40 shipped from their website to go to the US, especially after seeing another member here receive a mangled envelope from them. I was waiting for them to sell on amazon again though they haven't in quite a while.