iPad Pro CAUTION! New iPad Pro 11” (Glass Screen Protector) Issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anaudiopro, Nov 7, 2018.

1. newellj macrumors 604

I've noticed two variables that seem to affect this. (I've been using the Omoton glass screen protectors.)

If my hands are really clean and dry, the screen seems to respond less consistently.

If the iPad is sitting on a table, flat, rather than being held in my hands, response also is less consistent.

2. Jetfire macrumors 6502

We have 4 iPad Pros 11” here at work. All with Zagg screen protectors. All seem to have touch issues if you use them when laying on the table. But if you hold them up in your hands they seem to work better. I came here to see if this was an issue. I had just finished my sister’s iPad Pro 11” replacement the other day. She knocked her new one off the couch with in hours of opening it and cracked the screen. Screen protector was do in the next day. Lol. She just came to me saying it sucks. She having touch issues.

I have the 12.9” and it seems to have problems too. Just the way I use it seems less noticeable.

3. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Thanks a lot!

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I just broke down and bought the AmFilm one. I was sick that I already had a scratch not even two weeks into owning my launch day 11" -- luckily I haven't had any more scratches. I'm sure the scratch came from me trying to constantly wipe the screen from fingerprints -- must have had a burr or something on my microfiber cloth, ugh.

Hopefully the AmFilm will let me get to drawing again, been treating this iPad with kid gloves from the fingerprints and the fact that I already micro-scratched the top edge of the screen bezel. Disappointed that there really hasn't been a great glass solution this time around.

5. NeverInDoubt macrumors member

And that’s what it all boils down to, for those that need screen protection, a solution from whatever source or manufacturer is a must, even if it is not your personal automatic preference.

If you had asked me three months ago if I would switch from glass to a non glass protector, I would have laughed and replied of course not. However, having used the new MediaDevil on an IPP 11 since Nov 23rd, I have no doubts that it was the right decision for me.

My iPad is used intensively including Apple Pencil use and being taken frequently onto a construction site. Not a great environment and one that would even lead to earlier iPads suffering fine scratching on a glass protector. However the MediaDevil on my IPP has no functionality issues and no scratches. Is it down to the claimed 9H hardness? Who knows. Will it withstand all causes of scratching? Very much doubt it as not even glass could but having successfully survived the last two months without damage and giving me a fully functional iPad, I would and will cheeerfully replace the non glass protector with another of the same if required.

No right or wrong answer to an individual’s requirements, have to measure cost v risk and whether your own preference precludes a non glass solution but if an IPP needs protection, there are viable options out there.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

Overall I’m pretty happy with the Media Devil. The only thing that annoys me is that it’s a finger print magnet and the finger prints are hard to get off.

7. MadnessOfMica macrumors newbie

I’ve tested this on my iPad Pro 11” and can say with confidence that unless your touching the casing or the back of the physical iPad touch response is drastically lower. I can scroll my thumb up the screen and it will not move, but if i rest my fingers on the back of my iPad it works perfectly. Odd.

8. shinseiromeo macrumors 6502

shinseiromeo

I was waiting for the best glass since the new IPPs launched. I can say from all the reading I've done, amfilm appears to be the best. I've had it on for several days now and have hardly any issue with using it. The first day of testing I did notice my thumbs wouldn't scroll when the iPad was laying flat. No notice of the issue when tilted in the keyboard folio case, which is good. After testing throughout this week I haven't noticed any skips or mistouches.

9. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

I put on the Power Support film a few days ago and have been using it, I think this is ultimately the one to stick to. Apple Pencil so far hasn’t left any scratches or even marks to wipe away which is kind of amazing, fingerprints are kept to an absolute minimum almost as if it was the bare screen, and the clarity is wonderful (this is the ‘Crystal Film’ version, though I’ve heard their matte is also astoundingly clear). Real bitch to install for film, getting the dust out is a challenge because it clings well, but overall worth it. I think this is the keeper for me.

Didn’t Apple used to sell Power Support screen protectors a long time ago? I wonder why they stopped.

10. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Same experience with the power support. The crystal version has what they call an "anti-fingerprint" coating. It resists smudges quite well (obviously not as good as tempered glass), way better than typical plastic protectors.

Apple used to sell them in their stores, up until they partnered with belkin for iPhone 6 I believe.

11. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

But Belkin screen protectors suck hard!

12. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Belkin products are horrible and overpriced in general.

13. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I have a Belkin Lightning cable in my car only because I bought one in an emergency and it was all that was available. I would've preferred an OEM Apple cable but it was all Staples had.

14. dso macrumors newbie

Suffering from the same weird touch responsiveness problems with glass protectors like everyone else here. I've been going naked for the last couple of weeks but it pains me, especially since the Smart Folio Keyboard gives so little edge protection itself. This is the most exposed and vulnerable iPad I've ever owned. So I slapped on am Amfilm glass protector - the fourth brand I've tried. Sure enough, I get the same problem - non-registering of thumb and other finger swipes and scrolls when lying flat. Mainly a problem with the right side of the screen. Totally weird. But I did such a good job installing the protector that I'm tempted to keep it on and put up with the weirdness until updated protectors come out (if ever?) that address the touch sensitivity issue.

15. dso macrumors newbie

Update: one hour later - just ripped off the Amfilm. Touch sensitivity failure all over the place. Shocking. Back to naked, sigh...

16. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

No problems with the film removed?

17. dso macrumors newbie

Once the *glass* was off, back to 100% normal.

18. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

The fact that I can’t get a tempered glass screen protector for the 11” iPad Pro is a deal breaker. I’ll be sticking with my 9.7” Pro until this is resolved.

19. shinseiromeo macrumors 6502

shinseiromeo

I can say from my first week with the amfilm glass it works 99% of the time without issue. I have the Smart Keyboard folio. Touching the screen while holding the iPad Pro 11, keyboard folded back, iPad leaning in the keyboard magnet dock, all present zero issues. The absolute only time I noticed decreased touch sensitivity is laying flat on a bed, poking it with my thumb tips. Literals no other finger even when the iPad is laying flat presents any issues.

I was so nervous about the IPP11 and glass issues. I almost returned one and was going to wait until next year when a new model comes. I'm extremely happy with this glass and feel 'complete' now.

20. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I’m with you. I almost never use my iPad lying flat on a surface, so the touch issues that everyone is talking about is a non-issue for me. I’m very happy with the amFilm.

21. shinseiromeo, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019

shinseiromeo macrumors 6502

shinseiromeo

Even when it's flat, I have zero issues EXCEPT with my thumb tips. No one pokes an iPad like that, poking their thumbs against the screen like other fingers. I was doing it to test what works and what doesn't. So to me, it's essentially flawless.

22. tps3443 macrumors regular

tps3443

I’m gonna skip the screen protector, just be careful, and do not wipe your screen constantly and you will avoid scratches.

23. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Okay, it's been 3 days and I'm actually REALLY satisfied with the amFilm screen protector. Applied easily, zero bubbles (had to pull edges up gently a couple of times to make sure I was going from center to edges with no bubbles). Works fine for all of my normal use cases.

The only "quirkiness" I noticed was when it was resting on the couch without being in my lap -- it *might* miss here and there, but it was inconsistent and still worked most of the time with a light touch. Not something that's a normal use case for me, so I'm not worried about it, and the only time I noticed it was when I was trying to recreate what people have mentioned here.

Otherwise, it seems fine, I tend to prop it up on the bathroom counter, against the couch when I'm folding laundry, etc to read books, and the pages turn with no issues just like always.

Nice to have some protection on the screen again - back to drawing and no more fretting microscratches.

24. tps3443 macrumors regular

tps3443

25. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Your screen will eventually scratch if you use the Apple Pencil, no matter how careful you are