iPad Pro CAUTION! New iPad Pro 11” (Glass Screen Protector) Issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anaudiopro, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Silver Idaten, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019

Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

I’m starting to run into possible touch sensitivity issues with the Power Support film with just regular scrolling while it’s standing upright in my Smart Folio. Like I’ll tap and scroll and it sometimes just won’t register at all. Is it just me? It’s getting so bad I almost want to rip the thing off.

I guess the next step is to try the amFilm but I am so sick of applying screen protectors, I just scratched the back of my XR putting on yet another screen protector because I keep running into problems and it pisses me off. I ****ing hate screen protectors but I need them.

2. tazdevl macrumors regular

Just buy the Media Devil and be done with it. No scratches, zero problems, no Apple Pencil scratches.

Amfilm seems hit or miss based on reviews. Sounds like some of the big glass manufacturers are coming out with revised glass in the next couple weeks. Other option is wait until they’re released.

3. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502a

MyAppleWorld

I bought this one from amazon uk Screen Protector for iPad Pro 11" 2018

Fit is perfect, good quality glass, touch screen works fine in folio, in hand, on lap, flat on table.

My issue, although maybe safari has always been like this, is that when clicking the tab button to view all open tabs (just 1 as a test), the animation stutters - i never noticed that before???

Pro motion on home screen working fine etc

4. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

I had one, I took it off because it wasn't case friendly except for the Smart Folio (and keyboard) and it was very fingerprint-prone. I've just ordered new ones, I think I'm just going to go back to it. I can't stand how much money I've wasted on screen protectors and just want the whole thing to be over.

I'm probably just going to stick to Tech Armor film (or glass) for my phones and do the MediaDevil for the iPad.

5. simplynando macrumors 6502

simplynando

Just put on a Zagg glass screen protector last night and I'm ready to rip it off. Immediately after installing it I had issues with touch sensitivity no matter how I hold/place it. Laying flat on a table makes it almost impossible to use no matter which finger I used. Holding it up with the Smart Keyboard Folio folded backwards helps mostly, but there's still issues.

I'm guessing I'm going to look into a MediaDevil film that everyone seems to be going with, but I really dislike when screen protectors go all the way to the edges of the screen. It looks nice, but they tend to peel on the edges and look ugly.

6. tazdevl macrumors regular

@Silver Idaten i haven’t run into any issues with the MD and cases. Works fine on the 3 I have. I have noticed on a friends iPad, if you miss by a bit and have overhang, it can cause issues. He trimmed a few mm off a corner and it worked fine.

@simplynando same issue with Zagg on another 11. They are so out of touch with the the screen protector market these days. Not sure how they can charge a premium in general, esp when their stuff doesn’t work.

Callum @ MD did mention he’s working on a oleophobic coating for the film. It’s a bit more involved than a glass protector from what I understand. Though I don’t think the fingerprints are worse than what I’ve seen with some brands of glass protectors.

7. shinseiromeo, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019

shinseiromeo macrumors 6502

shinseiromeo

I can definitely rep the amfilm glass. $14 for two, prime shipping, real glass, and good follow up support from the company. Plus the main reason why I like it, it just works. The only time it doesn't is when I try to make it fail in non real world use scenarios.

My real only complaint about the amfilm glass is installation, as the glue under the glass sticks too quickly, causing the top laying with the tabs to align it to come off too fast.

8. AZBRONCOSFAN4EVER macrumors newbie

AZBRONCOSFAN4EVER

9. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

There's 41 pages of this information in this thread.

10. AZBRONCOSFAN4EVER macrumors newbie

AZBRONCOSFAN4EVER

I BOUGHT ONE ON AMAZON (SPIGEN) FACE ID WORKS FINE BUT TOUCH RESPONSIVENESS IS DEFINITELY WONKY!
    PULLED THE GLASS OFF AND NOW TOUCH SEEMS TO BE WORKING FINE!
    ONE USER ON APPLE FORUMS SUGGESTED TO CHANGE TOUCH ASSISTANCE SETTING, BUT THAT STILL DIDN'T FIX THE ISSUE!

11. Sovlah51 macrumors newbie

Thought I’d chime in here - purchased a JETech screen protector as mentioned by some here: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07GZTRC8Z?ref_=pe_2361882_295287342_301_E_DDE_dt_1

Had no issues whatsoever with both touch sensitivity and Face ID. On my third day and no change.

It is the newer version, as there is a cut-out for the Face ID.

Thought it would be hard to find a tempered glass protector based off what people are saying here, but first purchase for me worked. Lucky?

12. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Not noticing the issue is not the same as the issue not existing
    Place your iPad on a flat surface (without holding the iPad) and the issue will show up

13. Sovlah51 macrumors newbie

Nope, no issue when laid on a flat surface either. Perfectly good.

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Same here. I tested it with the amFilm and didn’t find the same problem. I never use it perfectly flat on a table anyway so it’s a non-issue for me.

15. DJinATL macrumors newbie

I purchased the Megoo Glass Shield hoping the thinner material would work better. It does NOT! Still having significant touch screen sensitivity issues. Will be returning to the Medial Devil “Magicscreen” screen protector. Although it’s not HD glass, it’s *almost* as good, and certainly better than having an unprotected screen.

16. cre0la macrumors newbie

cre0la

First post on this forum - this touch screen sensisitivity has been bugging me since I bought this expensive 12.9 inch iPad Pro (2018). I can confirm that amFilm tempered glass has no touch screen sensisitvity issues. It definitely thinner than my previous tempered glass protector. And I took real care while applying this one, so it is nice and even without any bubbles. Thanks shinseiromeo

17. shinseiromeo macrumors 6502

shinseiromeo

I’m glad to hear all is well! What type of case are you using?

18. cre0la macrumors newbie

cre0la

19. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

We got another convert, man!

20. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

While watching this long thread for an agreed on solution, my two month old Gen 3 iPad Pro has gone from working flawlessly to mysteriously developeling the now well documented touch sensitivity/screen freeze issue. If I had applied a screen saver I might be blaming it.

Could the complaints about screen savers working fine at first then later exhibiting problems actually be the iPad itself and not the screen saver?

21. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I am beginning to think that myself

22. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Gotta add my comments about the MediaDevil Film protector. I usually can’t stand film protectors...but this one is pretty awesome. No touch sensitivity issues so far. Can hardly tell it’s even got a protector on it. I’m not sure that it will do anything but protect against scratches, however. I dropped my iPad today (first time on ANY iPad I’ve owned) and I’m glad it had a glass protector on it. The protector cracked but not the iPad. I think the screen would’ve cracked with the MediaDevil on it. It’s also a fingerprint magnet. Easy to clean, but pretty smudgy. No oleophobic coating to prevent that like on glass. I’ll keep it on for awhile, but will probably return to the TechArmor thinner glass (that’s what was on it this AM) or the AM Film thin glass eventually.

23. leebroath macrumors 6502a

leebroath

Try laying it flat on a surface, maybe your bed cover and try to use your thumb and scroll up and down?

24. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150