CAVEAT: Use of screen share may downgrade your account from Admin to Standard!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by msharp, Oct 28, 2007.

1. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

Today I was trying to use the screen sharing feature. So I activated it on my powerbook, "for all users" instead of for any selected user. Because there's only one user on it.

Then on my macbook pro, finder successfully detected the new available "screen", so I click to connect, and it did. Everything is fine.

5 minutes later something happened. When I tried to enable the file sharing feature, I found the system preference was "locked". So I click on the lock to unlock it, type my password.... wait, why do I have to enter my name? Wait! It won't let me in after tried tons of times with all kinds of my user name (User name and short name, etc) and my password.

I switched to the "accounts" section in system preferences, it showed that my account was "Standard" which had been "Administrator"!

Tried some "sudo"s in terminal, no success: the terminal reports that my account was not in the "sudoer"'s list, and this attempt would be reported.

Geez I mean this is the ONLY account on this machine, and it was "down-graded" back to Standard user.

It locked me out!

I am EXTREMELY irritated by this. I was about to insert the install disc to reset the administrator's password. Now I need to find a way to "add" a new administrator user!

What the F***....

2. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Same issue man . Im effed on my iMac. How the hell do we fix this???

3. msharp thread starter macrumors regular

msharp

I wander if the only option would be erase and install. Or other wise we'll still end up with such a "Standard User" if we're using the Archive and install or upgrade.

If so, then it really SUCKS.

But the good news of this thing is that it actually *down*grade instead of upgrade to super user or whatever.