CBC Predicts Conservative Majority

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by flopticalcube, May 2, 2011.

1. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/

Liberals mistimed this election. NDP will be the official opposition. Big changes coming, not all necessarily good.

2. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

4. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

The Liberals deserved it, they need a new leader and this is a big wake up call. The NDP deserved what they received as well. But thankfully we won't waste more of taxpayers money on elections until 2015!

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I don't follow canadian politics much, can someone tell me aboot the main ideological differences between liberals and conservatives in canada? eh?

6. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

No, we'll just waste it on war, revenge based justice, intolerance and lining the pockets of the rich.

That's much better:rolleyes:

7. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Let's put it this way, if the conservative leader Stephen Harper, who has won a majority government tonight, was the prime minister back in 2003, Canada too would have entered the pointless mess that is the Iraq war. We had a liberal party in power then, and they rightly decided otherwise.

A conservative government is also more friendly to corporations (cutting corporate taxes), less concerned with the environment (supporting oil sands in Alberta), in favour of spending more on the military (buying new jets in the coming years) and more willing to spend huge amounts on security and the like (~$1 billion spent for security during the Toronto G20 summit).

Having said that though thankfully in Canada the conservative party is nothing like the hawkish corporate shills that you guys have in the US, at least not in that extreme.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Hm, that pretty much sounds the same as the difference between conservatives and liberals in the US for the most part. Hope they don't try to take away your universal health care!

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

The G20 summit was absolutely pointless, it'll be a year in a few months. Here's hoping for a better next 4 years.. and hopefully the Liberals get their act together and come back.

10. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

It's likely on their secret agenda.

Bull's in the china shop, get ready to clean up the mess . . .

11. Burnsey, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

Burnsey macrumors 6502a

The Conservatives are for some privatization, or as they call it "alternative delivery", but I doubt the population will allow them to completely privatize healthcare. Normally I'm for a smaller government, but when it comes to healthcare you can only either trust the corporations who make lots of money off of you when you're sick, or you can trust the government. In this case I trust the government a lot more.

12. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Jack Layton and Olivia Chow living in Stornoway. :eek:

This could be fun. :D

OK Iggy, out, STAT. lol

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't ever underestimate conservatives. Sorry for exporting our stupidity Canada. Hopefully, you guys figure this out fast and don't lose too much of what you have built.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You're starting to sound like a iPod repeating the same song over and over. Just sayin'

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Let me just say, that as complacent as Canadian's appear, **** with our Universal Health Care, and there will be rioting (Edit: tasteful demonstrations) in the streets.

The Provincial government has made quite enough cut-backs, TYVM.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Again- do not underestimate them. Don't think for one minute that they won't try it. The people are not their concern.

18. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No privatization of UHC but some periphery changes. Conservatives are closet anti-abortionists so things can and will get weird. Damn liberals gave them a majority. :mad:

I'd much rather the NDP were in charge but ideally all three major parties need to be more centrist, IMO.

19. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Worst case scenario I was hoping for a Harper minority and an NDP official opposition so that they could balance each other out :D

20. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Fueled by Poutine, right? :p

21. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Yeah, you might want to hold off on your move to Canada... This is going to be an interesting 4 years.

I was wrong about this election, I had posted elsewhere this was not going to change much, but I didn't realize that the Liberals and the Bloc were that weak. The losses of the Bloc boosted the NDP seats in Quebec, and the Liberal weakness helped both the NDP and Conservatives elsewhere.

The election was pretty crazy, take Ignatieff (who has now resigned BTW) even if you are leader of a party, and your riding has been a stronghold for your party, don't ignore it completely! Then again, check out Bev Oda; apparently you can misuse public money, make very questionable decisions as a minister, lie to parliament and get caught and force your minority government to fall in a vote of non-confidence... but as long as you play nice with the conservative leadership and remain silent, the people will elect you in a landslide. :rolleyes:

... I just don't get it.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Me neither. I thought you Canadians were smarter that this. ;)

23. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It wasn't too difficult to predict either a Tory majority or minority win as most people vote with the economy. The Bloc/Liberal thrashing was unexpected, especially the Bloc. Perhaps a little more stability on the Quebec question is a good thing. Liberals had a poor platform with a few really good candidates so next time round they need to put some meat on the bones and I'm hoping that this will flush out the old guard Liberals.

For now, it's brown shirts and red arm bands for the next few years. :D (Harper Youth?)

24. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Canada seems to be following Europe, where conservatives gained power in the recent years, even in traditionally liberal countries.