CBS Poll: 66% of Americans don't believe Obama has a plan deal with Da'esh.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Nov 23, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

A large majority of Americans don't believe the Commander in Chief is very commanding. No surprise, especially when a reporter asks the President about his plan for Da'esh, all he receives is a pricey lecture from a clearly irritated president.

47% say Syrian refugees should be allowed in the United States so long as they go through a vetting process.

78% say it is necessary for Syrian refugees to go through a stricter security process than they do now.

Alarmingly, 50% of Americans favor boots on the ground in Syria.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

To be honest I don't think anybody has a real plan for the war in Syria.

All the players have a slightly different agenda, and all outside players are aware that ground combat can and most likely will be bloody.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Only one individual is responsible for U.S. policy towards Da'esh. If he doesn't feel up to the task, he should resign.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Suppose you were President. One of the important allies in the region is Turkey, a long-standing member of NATO (1952). Turkey is unwilling to aid Kurds fighting Daesh very much because Turkey wants to suppress the idea of an independent Kurdish nation state. Another of the important allies in the region is Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia has an enormous amount of cheap-to-extract oil, and, a huge air force. Saudi Arabia is both a religious and geopolitical rival of Iran, another major power player in the region. Another ally is Israel.

So, as President, do you tell a CNN reporter who asks a dumb question exactly what you are going to do?

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

That's the point: 66% of Americans don't believe Obama has a plan.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

The only time anyone can recall Obama speaking to the people and evangelizing on a topic was during his first term in office about the now-teetering Obamacare.

Leaders lead. They formulate a plan and go with it.

The problem is the President's ongoing dithering, after his prior dithering brought on an international crisis.

7. Happybunny, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015

Happybunny macrumors 68000

Like invading Iraq in 2003 all based on a lie of WMD.

It's exactly that blind go for it that started this whole mess in the first place.

These are the same Americans where 8 in 10 believe in angels?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-nearly-8-in-10-americans-believe-in-angels/

8. FieldingMellish, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015

FieldingMellish Suspended

Taking the focus off Obama? It's his turn now and look what incredible damage he's wrought by doing zip.

Job number one is keeping America safe. (fail) Job number two is leading. (fail)

9. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I think most agree that the only option is boots on the ground, which is something this president vehemently opposes and always has. Whether one agrees or not, it's what he ran on and was elected on.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You keep stating it incorrectly. There is a word included in the CBS poll that you keep leaving out.

66% of Americans don't believe Obama has a clear plan.

And I think that result speaks to a weakness in Obama's performance that I've complained about before. Obama may be a skilled orator, debtor and campaigner, but he's never been a good communicator of his policy and strategies to the American people.

I would advocate for any president to continually use their position to spell out long-term strategies and how they mesh with real world issues and to sell the people on the solutions and how to achieve them. Time after time Obama has disappointed me with his inability to articulate these themes. So when people complain about a lack of a clear plan, it could be because Obama hasn't made his plans clearly known and understood.

If any of those 66% believe that he has no plan ... then they're just clueless.

But maybe next time you could actually get the poll question right next time.

I know how important accuracy is to you.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

We have lost far fewer Americans to terrorism under Obama than under Bush, and I'm pretty sure we had more deaths from terrorism under Clinton than Obama as well. So why has he failed at keeping us safe?

I wonder how many of them have a plan for getting us out of there once we take out the territory that ISIS controls...

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

13. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Obama has an excellent plan but the former law school professor is too inept to articulate it?

Nobody believes that.

Obama is baffled and has no idea for a coherent foreign policy?

A majority believe that.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You guys are so full of crap it's amazing.

He has a plan, it's the same stupid plan that the entire GOP is campaigning on right now, the difference is their just shouting louder about how badly they want to bomb the **** out of civilians indiscriminately. Obama does it with an (unnervingly) silent grace.

Either way we're ****ed, no one in US leadership has a plan that is anything other than bombing, which just spreads more extremists.

15. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

The poll didn't mention GOP candidates. Not sure why you brought them into a thread about Obama.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So what do you recommend doing in Syria?

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because otherwise you're just speaking pointlessly into a vacuum. I know you'd love to focus on how awful Obama is on foreign policy (as he is), but the flip side of that is to examine the alternatives being proposed.....which are exactly the same policy but with more cowboy talk.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm not even clear what is wrong with Obamas Syria plan. It's a sufficiently large mess that I'm not sure what would be better.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I just know that killing civilians ("collateral") and instilling terror in regions (civilians have to live with the constant idea that an unseen drone can kill them at any time) is going to do nothing but breed extremism. We have the drone papers now, this type of warfare is NOT in any way, shape, or form what we've been told it is.

An open letter from former drone operators:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2515596-final-drone-letter.html

Our policy of bombing suspects without knowing who they are is killing 9 civilians for every 1 confirmed suspect killed. That's not only not a way to "win" a war, it's a surefire to make sure it continues in perpetuity.

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I would love to hear the comments of those 50% who think ground troops are the way to go, when the video is shown of an American service man/woman burnt live in a cage.
    I am willing to lay odds that they'll turn round and blame Obama.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Ok that is stupid.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, to be completely honest, considering the extreme wide range of competing forces; interests; religious sects in the region - I don't think a "clear" plan (meaning one that average Americans can mutter under their breath or print on a bumper sticker) is possible under any circumstances.

"No new taxes" and "Mr Gorbachev - tear down this wall" might have been useful catch phrases, but they really weren't "plans" as such. From 1947 till the end of the Soviet Union, the US followed a policy of "containment" - but I don't think that was a phrase that too many average Americans tattooed on their biceps. And yet strangely enough, that was a plan that worked probably better than any other.

Maybe thats what Obama was getting at when he said that "ISIL was contained." That in his best judgement, the thing to do is deploy enough resources to prevent ISIL from taking any more territory. But not sending in massive numbers of US ground troops to die fighting a third unwinnable war in the Middle East. That eventually ISIL will collapse of its own accord. But not "contained" in the sense that it is somehow hermetically-sealed within the borders of Iraq and Syria.

If Harry Truman had said his plan for dealing with the Soviet Union in 1947 was simply to "contain" them (more or less, excepting China; Cuba; South Vietnam; Mozambique; Angola and a few others I'm forgetting) for the next 44 years - I don't think too many Americans would have been thrilled with that answer either.

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

So while we watch out for their collateral damage, we sustain our own — as they have purposely targeted innocents in Paris?

Terrorists strategically operating among civilians in their own habitat have all but signed civilian’s death warrants.

24. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

it's Bush's fault.......

25. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Obama stepped up the drone attacks IIRC.