CBS Rejects Superbowl Ad for Gay Dating Site

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/glaad-cbs-rejection-of-super-bowl-ad-for-gay-dating-site-is-a-homophobic-double-standard/1

http://www.gayapolis.com/news/artdisplay.php?artid=3236

USA Today said:
A gay advocacy group called for answers from CBS on Friday after the network rejected a proposed Super Bowl commercial by a gay men's dating site.

CBS said that its standards and practices department decided to reject a proposed ad by ManCrunch.com that would have shown two men kissing while watching a football game. (See the ad below.)

Jarrett Barrios, the president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, called on CBS to explain why it would reject the ManCrunch.com ad while accepting an advocacy ad from Focus on the Family (which will feature Tim Tebow):

"CBS has a problem when they do something like this at the same time as they allow an anti-gay group like Focus on the Family to place ads during the Super Bowl. This network should come clean to the public about what's going on because this seems to be a homophobic double standard."
The video is available via the USA Today link. Disappointing continuation of this.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
What an awful ad. Did they really plan on running a SB ad or did they plan a great PR stunt?

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Knowing this country, I'm sure CBS is afraid the teabaggers would storm their building and burn it to the ground. It's sad that a small bunch of crazy Puritans has that kind of influence.

Explain to me about that liberal media stuff again????

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Knowing this country, I'm sure CBS is afraid the teabaggers would storm their building and burn it to the ground. It's sad that a small bunch of crazy Puritans has that kind of influence.

Explain to me about that liberal media stuff again????
Did you watch the ad, I would think it hurts their cause more than it helps. CBS did them a favor.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
There really was no kiss in the ad it was just fake grabbing. The problem I would have with it if I was gay is that they mocked two guys kissing and made it look like a joke. That should be the uproar over the ad not the fact that CBS pulled it.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
That ad is horrible. I think CBS did the right thing and the LBGT president, Barrios, needs to back down and realize that CBS did them a favor.
Agreed. I almost want to say that if the ad was between a man and a woman it would of been rejected as well.

It was rejected to the over the top PDA. I can not think of a ad like that off the top of my head between a man and a woman shown in the US much less CBS. Provide that CBS is rejecting in on the PDA part they did nothing wrong.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
What a ridiculous Ad
Gays should be outraged by the Ad itself

But I would hold off on the criticism of the Focus on the Family Ad until it is viewed
Any judgment on that Ad is premature without seeing it

Woof, Woof - Dawg

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Exactly, or are you arguing that an ad for a gay men's dating website isn't made for men?
I don't think this ad was made for anybody. It doesn't explain anything.

It is insulting to gay people, straight people will laugh at it. What's the point.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Lets not forget that CBS also rejected a GoDaddy ad this year too.

As others said, CBS is doing the gay community a favor with this specific commercial.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Now they are surrounded by flaming teabaggers on both sides. :p
That should be a cocktail.

It had to be a cheap publicity stunt. The production values were below some youtube videos.
I agree, but I'm not sure what system CBS is using to decide which ad it can show and which it cannot. It sounds like Apple's App Store decision process and that's not a compliment.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Okay, pretend the guy on the left (smaller fellow) is a girl. The guy on the right is a guy. Now run the ad as it is with this substitution.

Conclusion. Stupid ad.

This isn't a gay thing, it's a stupid ad thing. The quality was terrible.

In this case, CBS did the smart thing.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Ahaha that ad is horrible. If anything it looks to mock gay people.
Did you watch the ad, I would think it hurts their cause more than it helps. CBS did them a favor.
I have to agree here, watch the clip.. actually it might have been funnier only if they went for the same beer and it was a budweiser commercial.
There really was no kiss in the ad it was just fake grabbing. The problem I would have with it if I was gay is that they mocked two guys kissing and made it look like a joke. That should be the uproar over the ad not the fact that CBS pulled it.
That ad is horrible. I think CBS did the right thing and the LBGT president, Barrios, needs to back down and realize that CBS did them a favor.
Agreed. I almost want to say that if the ad was between a man and a woman it would of been rejected as well.

It was rejected to the over the top PDA. I can not think of a ad like that off the top of my head between a man and a woman shown in the US much less CBS. Provide that CBS is rejecting in on the PDA part they did nothing wrong.
What a ridiculous Ad
Gays should be outraged by the Ad itself

But I would hold off on the criticism of the Focus on the Family Ad until it is viewed
Any judgment on that Ad is premature without seeing it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
Hey- why don't you guys ask a homo what he thinks? Don;t sit there and tell me what I should be offended by. I thought it was funny as hell. Why the hell would we be offended by a humorous ad for a gay dating site? Do you guys never make fun of your own relationships? As long as it isn't some homophobic group running awful ads, who cares?

Everything isn't about a "cause". It's a f***ing dating service, that's all. Jesus- get over yourselves and don't tell me what I should be offended by.