Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

CBS Sports and Apple Offer 2006 NCAA Basketball on iTunes

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

CBS and Apple announced today that they would be offering the 2006 NCAA Division I Basketball Championship on the iTunes Music Store.

For $1.99, users can individually purchase condensed versions of all of the 2006 NCAA Championship games. Apple is also offering a "Season Pass" which allows people to pre-purchase all 63 games for $19.99. Games will be available the day after they are broadcast.

"We're thrilled to bring all of the 2006 NCAA Tournament action to college basketball fans on iTunes," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "With the new 'Season Pass' feature, fans can purchase and view highlights from every tournament game the day after it airs for just $1.99 per game or $19.99 for the whole tournament."

The semifinal and championship game will be provided as "full-length" versions.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Hmmm...that $19.99 pass may not be too bad. But what exactly will condensed versions of the games be? 2 minutes? 20 minutes?

Didn't they do something like this with the 2005 bowl games? Did anyone buy those?

Comment

anonicon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Macrumors said:
"We're thrilled to bring all of the 2006 NCAA Tournament action to college basketball fans on iTunes," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "With the new 'Season Pass' feature, fans can purchase and view highlights from every tournament game the day after it airs for just $1.99 per game or $19.99 for the whole tournament."

I'm sure others will dig this, but for me, blah.

I'm not really down with paying for highlight reels, but I'd gladly pay iTunes $1.99 to $5.99 for full-length games that were of particular interest to me. Besides the Buckeyes (I'm a fan), I'd also enjoy buying the full games of big upsets and down-to-the-wire contests.

Now if only they'd restore the great game films of the Lakers and Celtics from the 1980's - when they knew how to run a fast break in the NBA.

Comment

Sam*

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
UK
$19.99 is really good for 63 games i think

Think at $1.99 for 63 episodes thats about $126 so $19.99 is a bargin

Comment

illw!l

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
m-dogg said:
Hmmm...that $19.99 pass may not be too bad. But what exactly will condensed versions of the games be? 2 minutes? 20 minutes?

Didn't they do something like this with the 2005 bowl games? Did anyone buy those?

Didnt buy the bowl games but they are around 15-20 mins apiece, which in my mind, isnt enough to cover the "big" bowl games. A 15-20 followup should be good for the early rounds while the full length games at the end will be really nice.

I would like to see the CBS / CSTV / Apple relationship blossom quickly to extend coverage of CSTV college football plan. Currently, for 6.95/mo I can watch all UCF sports coverage, however I would prefer to pay 1.99 per game televised by CSTV (last season had 7 games on CSTV). That way I can keep the videos and display on my tv should I prefer to do so.

Comment

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
This is awesome, for both the content and the implication. Will CBS revisit the possibility of offering its shows in the iTMS as a result? Seems like they have at least taken it into consideration.

The cool thing about the NCAA Tournament is that there is usually a crazy game that gets a lot of buzz and that people remember for years. Now, if I can only catch on to which games those are without actually knowing how the outcome played out...

Comment

nicksoper

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Cape Town
The season pass is a pretty good deal. I'm not a basketball fan (anymore) but if the ASP (Association of surfing professionals) did the same thing for the world championship tour of surfing I'd hand over my cash straight away. Now I've said it I want it! Now!

This is a great was to make the highlights of the sport more accessible. Keep it all coming.

Nicko

Comment

nicksoper

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Cape Town
Sports are boring?

Hey,

Cage fighting? Being chased by bulls? Big wave surfing? Bikini contests? You find these things boring?

And I supopse waiting and watching your macrumours rss feed is so much more riviting? Come on dude.

PS, I find tennis very boring to watch. But I don't like to generalise, at the risk of sounding predjadice.

Comment

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
$19.99 for 63 games? Damn good price. This is also a good thing because if their are really good games, I would not mind watching the highlights again.

Comment

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
itunes content

i swear, apple is never going to run out of content for the music store, as long as there are new shows, sports WHATEVER its gonna be good

Comment

Shaker

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
This is great news for Apple. Finally they land a big contract with CBS.

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
CBS and Apple getting together to put CBS content on iTunes can only be seen as the start of more content from CBS..

The NCAA games is pretty nice too!!

Comment

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
boncellis said:
This is awesome, for both the content and the implication. Will CBS revisit the possibility of offering its shows in the iTMS as a result? Seems like they have at least taken it into consideration.

I'm hoping this CBS Sports announcement means Apple and CBS have already reached a broader content deal.

With the technology and access details involved in putting the NCAA Tournament on iTunes, this deal wasn't cut yesterday. If Apple and CBS have a bigger deal, we'll find out during the next Apple event. April 1 or whenever.

Has a date for that been formally announced?

Comment

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
iTMS hints?

There's a Keifer Southerland Celebrity Playlist out today, and there was one from Jerry Bruckheimer in January.

Fred Armisen's list came out (IIRC) a week or two before "SNL" became available on iTunes.

Are Keifer Southerland and Jerry Bruckheimer hinting at CBS and Fox television deals?

The head of Fox has made some limp-wristed comments about iTunes in the last several months, so who knows.

Comment

bcsmith

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Oaktown, CA
swingerofbirch said:
Apple would have to pay ME to watch sports...no matter how condensed they claim it is, I say sports are boring to watch and frightful to play.

I love comments like this. It doesn't really add anything to the discussion and is purely here so that the poster can hear him/herself typing...

If you don't like sports, just move along. You knew that the article was about sports. I'm going to guess that you figured most of the comments would be about sports. If you don't like sports, why did you follow the link to the story?

And yes, I know that this is the same kind of comment.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.